Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Cloth training pants Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 2:14am | IP Logged Quote 12stars

Before I go to sleep I was wondering what anyone would recommend for my 2 1/2 year old son. I don't want to use pull ups because he has been using cloth for some time now. But his diaper keeps getting fatter and fatter because he is such a wetter. So I am thinking that in the near future I want to start potty training him. Mind you this will be my first boy to ever potty train. After 3 little sisters and 3 daughters. This is a major deal for me.
I don't know how or what is the best method. Also which would be the best potty.
Keeping in mind that it has to be economical for me. Really economical.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

12stars wrote:
Also which would be the best potty.
Keeping in mind that it has to be economical for me. Really economical.

This is the potty that I'm using with my 2 y.o. I found it in a resale shop but full price it's only $10. I LOVE how easy it is to clean. The built in splash guard is a nice feature with a boy!

I'm all ears on the suggestions you get on the cloth "pull-ups"....I'd like the same thing.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Angi

We use the Bjorn Little Potty, but only in the van LOL. You never know when you will need to stop!

At home, we use the Flip-n-Flush (from www.littleants.com - a Catholic WAHM). We also used the Motherese and Bummi cloth training pants. The girls prefered the Motherese.

HTH
Angi
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

websterm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote websterm

I bought thick cloth training pants from Target, and my little guy runs around in just underwear most days - easier for him to get in the bathroom quick! When he first started training, I would take him to the potty every hour till he got the idea.

Marcia

On My Mind
Back to Top View websterm's Profile Search for other posts by websterm Visit websterm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Claudia -
I prefer to use the regular potty for potty training little boys. You can get one of those seats that fits on the potty lid so they don't feel like they're falling in, but it's not necessary either. I have one on my extra long, extra high potty downstairs, but upstairs on the regular size toilet, we don't augment with anything.

I don't like potty seats for boys because it doesn't take too long til they "get it" and want to stand up like daddy. Now, when this happens from their height into a potty chair on the ground - a potty chair that is highly mobile and can be brought, say, into the living room where you are visiting with Father...you get the idea. Plus, I'm all about getting rid of the extra peripherals that aren't really necessary.

I have some training pants that have a rubber-like liner sewn onto the outside of them - I can't remember where I got them - I've had them since my almost 12yo potty trained. I don't have to use them too long. They move into regular undies fairly quickly, but a few weeks of the waterproof liner is a good thing!

As far as method, I start with sitting - 'cause I don't know how to do the standing thing! and teach them to point down between the legs. Once they've got that, I ask daddy to step in and offer some pointers for upright skills.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Mackfam wrote:
I prefer to use the regular potty for potty training little boys.

My sil, mom of 3 boys, gave me the tip of sitting them on the big potty backwards. I do have to hold onto him a little but things point down nicely!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I agree wholeheartedly with sitting backwards - this worked for my son and all of my daycare boys (my son was never messy, even forward facing, but the other boys would just saturate everything!!!!).

I made a few pair of pants myself with snaps on the side, but I ran out of time and just bought some of the thick pants (Gerber or something). Now several cloth diaper places have training pants - I probably would have gone with Bumkins if they'd been available at that time.

It would be nice if someone would design some thick pants made for boys, IYKWIM - too much pressure right there and sometimes accidents would come out the sides and not be absorbed.....
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

Gaaahh to now look into training pants. I just wish they were not so expensive. Even the used ones are.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2008 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I just sold all of ours to a friend whose daughter is just starting toilet training... If I could just sit down and make some, I'd offer you some!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2008 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

That would be most great.
I have not started potty training him yet. I wanted to wait a bit more till he had a few dry mornings but he is showing interest. So I have just been sitting him down for a few minutes. Before I couldn't even do that. He was so scared.

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2008 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Both my boys trained around 22 - 23 months, but they weren't dry at night until 4.5 and almost 5. I don't think that being dry over night is always a good indicator to whether they're ready for toilet-training. I watched for other signs -- like being obviously aware while awake when they were peeing and being able to pull up and down their pants by themselves.

We used disposable pull-ups over night, and used Gerber training pants during the day when they started showing signs of being ready. I did use cloth diapers, but just never could find an overnight cloth solution that they didn't soak through (and I'm awful cranky if I have to change sheets in the middle of the night)

Like others have said, I taught them to go sitting backwards on the toilet. Both stand just fine now, which I have heard as a concern to having them sit initially. They felt more secure, and made much less mess (in fact, I wish they would STILL sit down some days )

Good Luck!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version