Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Chore changes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

So, for the past 5 years, we have rotated 4 chores between 2 boys on a weekly basis. Basically, each boy has two chores (that usually correspond to each other) every week and on Sunday morning, they switch. We have recently discovered that one boy (Benny) HATES to be on pet duty and one boy (Braidon) HATES to be on kitchen duty. Benny, however, does not really mind being on kitchen duty and Braidon actually loves to be on pet duty.

My inclination is to make the chores permanent and not make them do what they hate. Does that make sense? I know there is a camp that would say they both need to do their assigned chores without complaining or arguing. Part of me is in that camp. However, I am really sick of the complaining and arguing and it is not stopping despite my best efforts at convincing them that they love their chores.

The biggest part of me thinks that to maintain family harmony and my relationship with my kids, we should switch to permanent chores. We are also thinking of giving laundry duty to the 5yo. This consists ofgetting the laundry down to the basement (she would have help with that) and sorting it. She would also help me fold and put away clean laundry. This used to be the 2nd chore of the kitchen boy.

So, does this sound fair? Does anyone else have permanent chores?

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

We actually have whole rooms that the kids are in charge of. Each of our 4 oldest is in charge of a room on the main floor. That means that they sweep, mop,declutter, and dust that room. Its been that way since March of this year. They also have other daily jobs, but this way we always have a presentable main floor.

Jen

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote monique

I would keep them permanent for harmony - especially since they both have done other chores and have learned how to do them.

We rotate our chores between three children right now. Mostly because there isn't one job that everyone loves to do. I don't think I would get any help in the kitchen if we didn't rotate. LOL We did have permanent jobs for awhile but then someone would always complain that they didn't get to do the dogs- or whatever -so now we rotate every Sunday morning.

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I would go for permanent, with the option to revise at any time as parents see fit.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

I did run the change by them this morning and they both seemed quite delighted with the change. We'll try it for a month or 2 and then revisit if needed.

While I'm on this subject...What kind of chore could a 3.5yo do? I feel like she needs to do something to help out as well, but can't think of anything appropriate that she could do every day.

Blessings,
Bets

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

mama251ders wrote:

While I'm on this subject...What kind of chore could a 3.5yo do? I feel like she needs to do something to help out as well, but can't think of anything appropriate that she could do every day.

I am going to be in the minority.

A 3.5 yo? Picking up her toys after herself. Maybe making her bed (either with help or w/o very high expectations put on the outcome.)

I wouldn't really give a 3.5yo chores. In my experience, at that age - they LIKE to help, so I just let them help where ever they can. I mean, if you have a chore chart and she is wanting star stickers or whatnot too, that is different.

But, I think 3.5 is barely not a toddler. But I don't really do "chores" so much until they are closer to 10 - however, they do have to help when I ask (and even when we don't - when we get home from grocery shopping everyone knows it is time to bring in stuff, help unpack/put away, etc - I don't have to ask...)

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Well, I wouldn't really give her the same kind of chore that I would give her big brothers. I am just looking for something that will give her a sense of big-kid helping and kind of train her to do a daily chore. Like one of my friends who has her 3yo stock the toilet paper in the bathrooms (this is not a chore in our house as we keep a separate package of toilet paper in each bathroom all the time. They have a central linen closet where they keep the bath supplies). Nothing strenuous or time consuming, just a little something to get her started on the chore path.

Betsie

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

mama251ders wrote:

While I'm on this subject...What kind of chore could a 3.5yo do?

My 4.5 y.o. boy wipes door knobs and light switches. He also puts away the silverware (flatware only) from the dishwasher. He helps with trash...gets the bathroom and bedroom trash baskets. I know he's older than your child, but he's been doing that stuff for a while now...not sure if it's been a year.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

My 4.5 yo has been doing these chores for about a year and a half now....

**Fold jammies
**Turn off night light
**Make bed and straighten toys in the bed
**Hang up bathroom shower rug
**Pick up shoes/slippers around the house, putting them in designated'shoe-bins'
**Pick up toys
**Tidy hair accessory shelf
**Clear dishes off table
**Put silverware away & help empty dishwasher
**Dry hand-washed dishes
**Shake bedroom rug
**Fold Laundry

My 2.5 yo dd is just starting to want to be part of the "team" and this is what she is doing:

**Wipe cupboards or chair legs (any wiping is fun)
**Swiffer
**Dustbuster!!!! (her favorite)
**Put clothes down the laundry chute
**Fold Diaper wipes and washclothes (we have a little basket that we keep for these things....so that even if we are folding when she is not around we "save" them for her)
**Push everyone's chairs in after meals
**Put plastic cups/dishes away in lower cabinet
**Dust

I go around the house looking for **regularily-messy-and-annoying-areas** and ask myself if that's something that could be done by a young child, and would it help if it were done on a regular basis? If the answer is YES, then it's theirs! Why should I continually bend down to dust-bust the sand and hair that accumulates at the side of the hallway, when a 3 yo is perfectly happy to do it?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version