Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Two year old that hits Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 23 2005 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

It seems that with every child I've had something different to deal with in the area of discipline. It would be nice if they were all the same, then I wouldn't have to worry about dealing with all these different issues! (Totally joking here!!)
My youngest just turned 2 this month. He is such a sweet baby...until he doesn't get his way! Then he has little temper tantrums which I can deal with (there nothing new!) . However, he hits me when he is angry and I'm so shocked about it I don't know what to do!! None of my kids are perfect but this is the first one to hit his Mom! I usually just grab his hands and try to say "No" very sternly, but that only lasts for that particular upset. Next time, which is probably the same day, he'll do it all over again. Spanking him doesn't seem like it would work...I don't know what to do. It's hard (impossible) to reason with him and he isn't talking yet so I can't really discuss the issue with him.   Actually, the fact that he isn't talking is part of the problem. Sometimes, when he wants something and I don't understand he gets so frustrated he hits. HELP!!!
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2005 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Becky, have you thought about teaching him some sign language to help with the communication part of the problem? You're right, it can be so intensely frustrating for a little one who can't get his message across. My 22-month-old is hard of hearing (moderate/severe hearing loss) but with hearing aids, he understands much of what we say--he just can't say it back to us. His only spoken words are "mama" and "more." If it weren't for sign language I don't know what I'd do! Even as it is, he sometimes gets frustrated because I don't pick up on what he's signing. But for your son, with no hearing loss complicating the issue, it seems like some simple everyday signs could be a huge help in easing his frustration while he's waiting for his mouth to catch up with his mind. See if your library has the Signing Time videos. He'll adore them--they're so kid friendly and fun. (And I'll throw this in for the sake of any skeptical grandmas who might worry that if you teach him to sign, he'll "never" talk--nowadays there is tons of research showing that sign language actually *increases* and *improves* verbal skills in hearing children rather than diminishing their speech skills.)

As for the hitting, when it does occur I guess I'd take the "inappropriate behavior gets the opposite of what it wants" approach and find a consistent, firm response to use every single time he does it--in my case, that would be plopping him unceremoniously in the playpen in our great room--I don't like to totally isolate a little one by sending him to bed, so I keep a small playpen in our main area for times when he needs to be "benched." It's like a little penalty box.

But it sounds like frustration is what's behind his hitting, so it may be that the problem fades away if you find a way to bridge the communication gap. Good luck!!

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

What I have done for this one is to catch their arm in mid-swing and hold it. Not hurting them, but holding it long enough that they are upset by the restricted movement. This seems to discourage them pretty quickly from making this a habit. The nice thing is that I can teach my older children to handle it this way too. I've seen them use this technique without missing a beat in their conversation or game.

As Lissa pointed out, they are pretty frustrated at this age. They want to be big kids but don't have the language or skills. The behavior has to be checked of course but understanding why it's happening goes a long way in keeping us from being upset by it.

Good thing toddlers are soooo darn cute!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2005 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

My fifth son used to do this as a toddler. I used to just grab him in a warm bear hug and hold him on my lap - he usually needed to quiet down and this hug gave him space ( after the initial hitting and throwing himself around).

I think he hit out of frustration and, as he grew and was more able to do things and to verbalzie, the hitting stopped.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2005 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks everyone!! I really like all of your ideas. I'll try today to just stop his hand mid swing or wrap my arms around him when he has a fit. Maybe if I don't respond in any other way but that he will see that it doesn't pay to hit. It's interesting that you mention sign language Lissa. Last night we had some friends over that we hadn't seen in 6 years. One of them asked me what I thought of teaching little ones sign language. I didn't know what to think. I was a little hesitant, wondering if perhaps sign language would actually delay speech. It's good to hear that research has proven otherwise. It might work to ease his frustration until he can actually tell us what he wants.
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version