Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Geography: Fixed link enclosed! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Devoted
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Devoted

www.adoremusbooks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1 341

I had chosen a geography program but it didn't really turn out to be what I thought. I need something that focuses on US geography, includes rivers, mountain ranges, plains, forests, et c. I'd really, really, like it to be Catholic, including saint and other cool catholic info.

Can you help?
Back to Top View Devoted's Profile Search for other posts by Devoted

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Your website page didn't work. I tried to cut and paste it but it just opened up Adoremus's home page. What is the name of the program?

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I can't see your geography program, but you might take a look at CHC's 1001 Facts for Your Geography Bee. There is a lot of info in this little book! It would be easy to "make a program" out of it if it were used alongside a nice set of maps. You'd just need the student book - $12, and permission is granted to make copies for your family. You can make little state booklets, there are blackline masters of all the states, state birds, a state profile sheet to use in a notebook (you'd make 50 copies and just work on one state at a time.)

There's a fairly good amount of information in the book with some info about geographical features, but you might be able to use a good atlas or the internet to supplement that sort of info.

Here's the TOC for the book:
Quote:

Spreadsheets (All Categories at a Glance)
Study Sheets
    State Capital
    State Flower
    State Bird
    State Nickname
    State Tree
    Famous Native
    State Landmark
    State Catholic Fact
    State Historical Fact
    State Name Derivation
    State Motto
    State Industry
Sample State Profile Worksheet
Master - State Profile Worksheet
Masters - State Flower
Masters - State Bird
Masters - State Map
Masters - U.S. Map
Master - Patroness of the United States Coloring Page
Mary Immaculate, Patroness of the United States
Catholic-Named Cities of the United States
Bibliography and Resources

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

well, my computer is being goofy and not letting me open the scripted window to put the link in.... but I was able to get it by removing the space between P and r towards the end.

I also have no input about the program, but it looks great! And I love every one of the books it includes... so I too am hoping there is some input on this one from sources who have used it.

God Bless!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Here's the link for the book Devoted is asking about:

Geography: A Literature Approach

I don't know about that book, but we have all loved the Holling C. Holling books it's based on.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I know some folks have experience with the Beautiful Feet guides.I hope they will chime in.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I used the Beautiful Feet Guide with the Holling C. Holling books a couple of years ago. I cried when we finished with it. It was just that great a program! I can't wait to use it again with my son when he's a little older.

I can't say enough about the Holling C. Holling books. We didn't do every single assignment in the Beautiful Feet Guide, and of course I tweaked a little, but on the whole this is a great Geography program!! Very easy to add in info about the saints!!!

I would highly, highly encourage the map set that comes with it and invest in a very good set of markers at the beginning of the year. My kids preferred markers to colored pencils on this project because of the size of the maps. One other thing we did differently was when the assignment called for say a picture of a Conestoga wagon or another addition to the maps, we colored it on a piece of cream cardstock and then glued that onto the map rather than drawing the image right on the map. It seemed to be easier to color the map and then label and then add images. They stood out more that way. Those maps are real treasures now, and my kids can tell you all about the trail west, the Mississippi, etc.!!!

This is an awesome program and ideally fits into a parallel study of US History!!

Hope this helps validate your purchase a little!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Devoted
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Devoted

Thanks Everyone! I'll check out the Beautiful Feet program!
Back to Top View Devoted's Profile Search for other posts by Devoted

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Devoted, we have used it and it's a great program. It's not Catholic and has no Catholic content.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version