Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: What do you do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 28 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

LA seems to be the bain of my life!
I have sorted out all our other subjects and feel that we are in our groove with history, maths, religion etc but L.A. AARGH!!!! I have chopped and changed so many times and still have yet to find the right balance. I somethimes feel that we are LA overloaded. ie. grammar, spelling, handwriting, reading, writing. Once these things are finished it feel like school should be over!

So I was wondering how you order your LA curriculum and why? Do you not bother with writing until your dc have a handle on spelling? How many L.A subjects do you do per day? etc

Thanks,
Tricia.

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

ahappyheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 30 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote ahappyheart

Tricia,
I have tried on and off a few other LA programs, but I always go back to Abeka Language and Abeka Spelling. This is our 6th year using it. I think it's a good solid program. The Language books contain, grammar and writing and vocabulary building and the spelling books contain spelling and poetry to memorize. I like how easy it is for me to assign parts based on my children's needs and know that we don't have to do every single assignment to be successful. The books have a constant review built in. I also like the variety of the assignments, which I do not have to dream up on my own. Besides Abeka I have my children read independently two novels each per quarter, one related to our history studies and one related to our science studies. In the younger years I have my children work through the Abeka Handwriting books. Abeka is not a Catholic publisher, but I have not found their Language and Spelling materials to be particularly Protestant either, just Christian in general. I hope it's okay to say that.
Back to Top View ahappyheart's Profile Search for other posts by ahappyheart

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2008 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I have found Learning Language Arts Through Literature to be helpful in my home. It covers grammar, spelling, some writing, poetry, plays, public speaking and memorization, etc. Like Susan Marie, I don't have ds do everything. We skip some assignments, change some to make more fun or more in line with what we might be doing in another subject and generally make it what works for us. It is an outline and a starting point to help me get MY creative juices going and also cover the bases of the grade level we are working in.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

We've been using Language of God and Spelling Power, and while they have worked for us we are just burnt out.

This year we are going to do all the Lively Language lessons written by our wonderful Elizabeth and Colleen.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2008 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I really like Hillside's Language Lessons. Grammar, writing, poetry, and more spread out over the year so we don't get bogged down. We have CHC's Spellers and I think they are good. Mostly we do them because my kids just like them. Otherwise, I'd just not bother with a seperate spelling program. It seems regular reading, writing, and editing skills do just as well for spelling as any of the programs I have.

I also have Spelling Power and Natural Speller, of which I think Natural Speller is the better of the two. Again though, I don't use them anymore and haven't noticed a significant difference.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version