Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Cloth diaper questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 28 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

I've always just used disposable diapers in the past, because they were easier, but money is super tight right now, and I want try to save in any way that I can. I looked at a few websites for cloth diapers, and I'm very confused. There are just so many different things, and I don't really "get" it yet.

So, here are my questions:

Are cloth diapers really cheaper than disposables? Even when you factor in extra loads of laundry?

Are the all-in-one type of diapers the best for someone who's never used cloth before? Or should I go with the prefolds that are cheaper?

Exactly how much extra laundry do you end up having to do? Laundry is one of my weak areas, and I'm afraid I'd run out of clean diapers or something.

Where do you get your diapers from? There are so many sites and types of diapers, which ones are the best quality but also the best price?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but my tired brain just can't think of any more right now.

Thanks!

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Emily, I only have a second...

I don't think AIO's are easiest or the best for a newbie at all. AIO's leak and that is frustrating!! If you really want to go economical, for one baby (hey...are you expecting?? There's no baby in your siggie!!!    ) If you bought 2 dozen prefolds and about 6-8 covers (pro wraps are super economical!) you'd spend about $75 for the first 3 months, then another $75 for the next biggest size. You'd probably shell out the $75 about 3 times total for 3 years of diapering. (maybe a bit more depending on the size of your child.) You can spend ALOT more though, depending on what you choose.

You would wash diapers about every 2 days, you wouldn't want to leave them sitting in the pail longer than that anyway. I have 2 in diapers, and I wash them every other day. I've never priced out the cost of laundering them, because it's all I've ever known.   You can save by line drying, which is excellent for the longevity of the diapers too.

Where you buy them is entirely up to you. Abby's Lane, Kelly's Closet, Diaperswappers, etc... (Diaperswappers is a great place to score cheap used diapers, but the lingo can be difficult to learn!)

HTH at least a bit.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote doris

You can also get nappies (diapers) on ebay. I got a set of 20 plus wraps and extras for £100 -- they'd have been at least £200 new. All but 2 were brand new -- someone had bought a set and then changed her mind.

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Emily....thanks for asking my question!

Lisa...thanks for the answer. I'd been planning to pick your brain but hadn't been able to put my thoughts together. This answer helps a lot!!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I concur with the difference between AIO and covers in ease of use - they can be tricky... but then it also seems easier for in-laws and such to make the switch than to deal with covers (I always prepared my covers with inserts beforehand - when I didn't have AIO on hand - if I knew someone would be changing any upcoming diapers). AIO are definitely pricier and despite what some websites seem to claim, even when I PAID to wash my laundry ($1-$1.25/load) it was cheaper than purchasing disposables - but I didn't buy ultra-expensive detergent either (7th Generation was as expensive as it got - and I got it on Amazon).

Now, with my son I was able to get away with doing diapers twice a week - but one child I took care of needed his diapers done every 2-3 days... seems to depend on the child and the style of diapers.

HTH!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I laundered diapers every other day also. Worked well. And it wasn't so hard. I think I had 6 covers and bunches of diapers. I didn't change the cover each time or if it was just a tad damp I'd let it dry and use it next diaper change.
I also had some disposables on hand at all times for those who might change the babies and were not used to cloth--and also for traveling. And emergencies like I was sick and could not wash for a week.
I liked Bummi wraps and the cheapo Gerber diapers from ToysRUs for ds. I did find that I REALLY liked the diaper service cast offs the best with dd. Call a local diaper service and they will sell some really nice diapers cheap due to stains. The ones I bought were fine--I didn't notice any stains and I loved, loved them.
Hope that helps. I miss my cloth diaper days..
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2008 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I just tried various diapers from Jillian's Drawers. I decided on the Bum Genius One Size b/c I have a 2 yo dd & an 8 week old ds in diapers. These fit them both!! I have 18 & wash every day & line dry.

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote nissag

I use EcoBaby dipes and love them. They grow with your babe. If you like to sew, check out Fern and Faerie for some pretty neato patterns for dipes, covers, AIO, and training pants. You can get fabrics through online shops or co-ops (at wholesale or near-wholesale). My email list runs a co-op for fabrics, including diaper fabrics.

I do dipes every other day as well - and line dry whenever I can. We save hundreds of dollars a year with cloth dipes in my estimation - especially with the prices of everything from the grocery store going up, up, up. I get my EcoBaby dipes at Juliestuff.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Nissa, have you had any trouble with the edges of the ecobaby dipes shredding or falling apart? I use the same thing and my diapers that I have only used for my almost 17 month old look like I have been using them for all my children. I contacted Julie about them and she said she had never heard of or seen that happen and got me in touch with the company. The lady from the company said it was because I line dry them which I though was crazy. Sorry to hijack , just wanted to see how your ecobaby dipes have held up. I like the way they work and fit, I just wish mine wouldn't have fallen apart so quickly. I can still use them thankfully, but the casing over the elastic (looks like cotton knit bias tape) is shredded.

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Yes, but only when the dipes sat too long before washing - I've only lost two. You can get fold over elastic (FOE) and replace the binding. I had a few lose their snaps right out of the pack, but they were replaced without fuss. Overall, I love them. The prefolds didn't really work for me. It's all a matter of preference in the end.

I'm going to be making some homemade shaped cloth dipes that should work similarly to the EcoBaby ones. I'm dying to try out some of that delicious bamboo fabric!

Blessings,

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

How could I forget Julie!!!! Yes, I HIGHLY recommend Juliestuff. (Julie sometimes posts here!)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Prefolds with covers (Pro-Wraps or Bummis are great) will work just fine and are very, very economical. I recommend getting "DSQ" (Diaper Service Quality) as well. Pretty much any online cloth diaper retailer will sell this type. They are much better than the Gerber, in my opinion.

I think any diapering system--even the really expensive ones--are cheaper than all disposables if you stick with it. You could get an assortment to start out. I've only ever needed two diaper sizes for my kids. Since you know you will have to buy another set by six months anyway, you can experiment with the small size and then settle on what you like best for the more long-haul size.

Don't be all or nothing about it. I keep disposables on hand. A disposable is the only thing that my daughter won't leak through at night so we use one a day. I wash diapers every other day with two kids using them. And, fwiw, Fuzzi Bunz with Hemp Babies inserts are my favorite after trying several styles and brands.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2008 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

I use Fuzzi Bunz with Hemp inserts, but started with prefolds and covers. The only reason I switched was that we had a family member give us some fuzzi bunz as a gift, and I got hooked. I didn't buy them til the baby was bigger, though, so I bought size large, which should see me through to the end. I keep disposables around, too. I was every 2 days and do not mind at all.This baby (my third) is the first I've used cloth with, and I really love it.

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2008 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Thanks Nissa! I wash every 3 or 4 days, so should I wash more often? Most are pretty messed up so there is nothing I can do about them besides replacing the elastic like you suggested (where can I get that? We only have Walmart or Hobby lobby here) Overall I like the way they fit and work. I have never used any other kind.

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

You can buy FOE by the yard. I've never really seen it in hobby/craft stores. You may be able to get it at a good sewing shop. Online diaper-making supply shops and co-ops have it as well. Here's one {url=http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/e-foldoverelastic.html] online store[/url] that has it. And this place, which is super.

Blessings,

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

I am currently researching this and trying to switch to cloth due to the fact that I have three in diapers (although the oldest stayed in underwear all day today with no accidents!!! ) My time is growing short as I only have a handful of disposables left. I finally became so overwhelmed with the choices and wanted to be able touch the diapers (and realized I am terribly cheap) that I went to Walmart and bought diaper pins, gerber prefolds and plastic covers. I think I spent about 35 dollars and am actually very happy with the outcome!

Oh, and I do one load of diapers every other day. And it isn't as icky as I expected.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Leah, If you are happy with the Gerber diapers, you would be thrilled with Diaper Service Quality (DSQ) Prefolds that you can order online. They are just a tad pricer, but uber absorbant and of much better quality. I was a faithful pin/prefold user for many many years!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

Emily, cloth can be cheaper than disposables depending on what you buy and how much you use them. The initial start-up can be expensive, but long term they are usually cheaper. Where they really become valuable is using them with multiple children, because they tend to hold up well.

I use cloth part-time, mostly at home. I try to use it at least three days a week. If I use them three to four days in a row, then I need to wash them after three or four days. Otherwise I wash diapers about once a week.

Most of the diaper sites have the same quality and types of diapering products, just at different prices. I use Chinese Pre-fold with Bummis Whisper Wraps covers. I purchased mine at Cotton Babies because they have free shipping for orders over $74.95. The diapers and wraps themselves were very slightly more expensive then other sites, but I more than made up for the cost difference with the free shipping.

Oh, and I would recommend getting some cloth wipes as well. If you're used to disposable, you get used to sticking your dirty wipe in the dirty diaper. I washed at least three disposable wipes in the machine before I switched. Plus, that saves you extra money and you can just wash them with your diapers.

I just started using cloth with my latest baby, and I've written a bit about my experience and the monetary side of it on my blog. Of course, one thing I just realized is that critics of cloth talk about the extra cost of washing them, but no one talks about the extra cost of having to make a special trip to the store just to get a pack of disposable diapers (which happens all too often for many people)...gas/wear-and-tear on the car.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Hi Emily! Not to add more to confuse you, but Jillian's Drawers has a deal that lets you try several different types of diapers for 21 days and then you can return all or just some. I think that helps for a good introduction.

Whatever you do, start small. I found that for whatever reason, I cannot get the pocket diapers from giving my kids rashes. Fortunately, someone had given me a bunch. I bought six for myself. I now use them as diaper covers onto of prefolds. Then I bought a few different covers, one of each, to test them out. They aren't too pricey, so even if I decided one was terrible, I hadn't lost a huge investment. FWIW, I bought the covers from Green Mountain Diapers because of their variety. I have really liked the Thirsties cover, one of the Bummis (not whisper wrap) and the Blue Penguin AIO. It doesn't leak. The Mommy's Wrap works well, but I don't really like the fit.

A couple of AIOs probably would be handy to have. The great thing about prefolds and covers is that you can re-use the covers a few times, so that really cuts down on the cost and the frequency of laundering.

I wash every other day.

Good luck!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Lisbet wrote:
Leah, If you are happy with the Gerber diapers, you would be thrilled with Diaper Service Quality (DSQ) Prefolds that you can order online.

Lisa,
Where do you order these from? I haven't found a place.
Thanks,

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version