Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: "Garden school for Girls" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 25 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I didn't want to hijack so I moved Jenifer's question to a new thread.

JeniferS wrote:
LeeAnn,
Your class sounds wonderful!

Can you share more about it with us?

We call it "Garden school for Girls". We meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11 to 3. We are using a "garden" theme for the summer. So far we have covered butterflies, bees, plants, trees, weather, the sun, seasons, the language of flowers, Monet and O'Keefe. We have 3 tomato plants growing: one in dirt, one in Miracle Grow potting mix, and one in organic compost to see which will grow better and give better tomatos. We hope to start a Marian garden next week and a butterfly garden soon.

Much of the legwork has already been done by this wonderful group of ladies. THANK YOU ALL!! I just searched out the topics here and used many of the suggestions. We are using Homeschool Share and Homeschool Helper for lap books, Enchanted Learning for worksheets, a Children's Garden of Verses for copy work and a creek nearby for nature study.

On Fridays we have tried to get together for local free nature field trips with the whole families. We went to a butterfly house, an organic farm, an historical farm and a forest preserve.

I charged each family a small amount to cover my printing costs. It has been alot of fun, and we have gotten to know girls really well that we otherwise wouldn't have. I didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped, but they had fun, learned some and made new friends. Also, I haven't had a summer listening to my dd complain about boredom or lack of companionship. And I haven't been running around with her signed up in all sorts of stuff to keep her busy.

LeeAnn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That sounds lovely!!!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

That sounds like a wonderful class to offer!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2008 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

That sounds awesome!!

Can you tell me the ages of most of the girls? And about how many girls participated in the class?

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

The girls range in age from 7 to 11. We have 10 girls, because that is where I capped it at. Anyone else that asked to join, I gave a CD with the compiled info. I felt 10 was the limit I could handle.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2008 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Sounds like something for next summer (altho I'd add some stuff for boys too) ... any NoVA ladies interested in such a class ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 26 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
Sounds like something for next summer (altho I'd add some stuff for boys too) ... any NoVA ladies interested in such a class ....

I need boys stuff, but we're sorely lacking in Nature Study anything, so yes for us!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was doing a search and found this old thread. LeeAnn, did you continue with this?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Jenn, we did this summer of '08 and '09. We had a lot of fun and the girls have all stayed close friends.

We aren't doing it this summer, as I ran a 15 family coop this school year and am coordinating a summer daycamp for American Heritiage Girls so I had to pass this year.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version