Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Rotation Schedule for Science? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 25 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

There is so much *talk* about planning over at the Real Learning and More that has gotten me thinking about our own family's science subjects. Really up until about grade 4 or 5 we have never used a curriculum per say. Now that I have children in upper elementary I am think about establishing some kind of schedule to cover different topics.

I was just wondering do you use a 'rotation schedule' for your science studies? Similar to the rotation schedules one might use to study history.... If you do have one for K-12 would you mind sharing it here?

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 26 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

fsuadamson wrote:
Now that I have children in upper elementary I am think about establishing some kind of schedule to cover different topics. If you do have one for K-12 would you mind sharing it here?

For those that are doing SCM's planning guide what are you doing for your science plans?

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Leslie,
    We're using SCM's planning guide, but NOT Apologia Science.
    This year, for 8th grade, I've decided to do Rainbow Science for her, in order to give her a good background and Jr. High science before high school science. We're also going to do nature study. We'll keep a notebook though, and also add scientist books/biographies and living books (to round it out).
     Her high school schedule is not set yet. But what I'm praying about is this:

9th Grade- Earth Science (MODG syllabus)
10th grade- Biology (using CM philosophy, and probably
                        MacBeth's opinion)
11th grade- Chemistry- (using CM philosophy and probably
        MacBeth's opinion or Rainbow Spectrum Chemistry)
12th grade- elective to be determined based on her
                                                     interest

Sarah is NOT math or science oriented, so she'll probably decide not to do Physics for her elective, but we'll see when the time comes. I'm just not sure. She likes living science much more than the math oriented ones. We may not even do Chemistry for high school either, depending on where the Holy Spirit leads, but for now, this is our flexible plan.

For my two boys who are more science oriented, they did....
9th-Biology
10th- Chemistry
11th- Physics

Hope this helps!
Tracy

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I try to do a rotation of life science (split into 2 years because this is so much), earth science, and physical science. We pick from those main categories and study several subtopics under them. This year we will be doing physical science and they kids want to learn about flight (specifically hot air balloons) and chemistry.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Tracy,

Thank you so much for answering. I haven't gotten that far yet on SCM planning guide so I didn't realize she offered Apologia as her primary science resource.

I have a quick question... I went and viewed 'The Rainbow' curriculum and I am intrigued, but I was wondering do they teach from a 'Creationist' world view?

I have a couple of Jennie Fulbright's books which we really enjoy as they read well but she comes from this world view, and I am finding on several occassions I have had to correct the children from her absolutes and re-teach from a Catholic view point.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Leslie,
    We haven't used it in quite a few years now, but I remember they loved that he is funny. I remember being happy that he presented a very balanced approach to creation, which is what we want. At least that's what I remember of him.

One of the things about Apologia Biology that drove my boys crazy in Apologia was that the view wasn't balanced, but we've discussed it so much, it was kind of good to discuss it again at that point. With Zach, we ended up switching to Prentice Hall for high school, and it was much better for us.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version