Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: newborn care questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 24 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

yes, this is my 4th time mothering a newborn... you'd think I'd have it all figured out by now! Most of it is "easy", but here are some questions going through my sleep-deprived mind:

1 - caffeine? What's your opinion? I've heard that drinking it while nursing a newborn is more dangerous than drinking it while pregnant? That it builds up in the newborns body? Most people believe 1-2 C/day are fine, though. I'm confused. And craving coffee.

2 - she cries when I put her down, and falls instantly asleep when I pick her up... normal? just a phase? (she's only 2 weeks old.) [I've dealt with GERD a lot with other kids, and she doesn't have hardly any of the symptoms.]

3 - we've had exceeding heat here lately, and keep the thermostat around 78-79. How warm is too warm for a newborn? Overheating is a main factor in SIDS. I'm afraid to swaddle her.

4 - best advice for preventing clogged ducts? I've had it happen twice already, and it's so painful. I know well how to treat them... but prevention?
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Fun with your little bundle of pink!!!

Here's my answers for what they are worth!

1. I don't know medical opinion, but I do drink it out of desperate need to stay awake.
2. Seems normal to me... but I don't know about GERD.
3. Good question. I don't think I swaddled my summer babies.
4. I've never had mastisis or nursing complications... when I feel a duct that seems like it might be getting painful, I nurse on that side first and rub and rub the duct while nursing. I also make sure no undergarments or whatever are putting to much pressure in that area during the first couple weeks when milk is coming in/getting established etc. That's it. But as I said I've had it easy, but it's prevented anything from developing further in me.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Welcome Baby Girl! :)

1. Like Maryan, I don't know the med. opinion, but I am a regular coffee drinker, 1-2 cups/per day suits me fine here.

2. I'm a firm believer in holding babies - always and often! ;)

3. I'd say the temp is just fine if you keep her in a onsie/hat.

4. Nurse often, keep under garments unrestrictive, and massage when you feel one coming on. Hot compresses work well too, and drink PLENTY of water. Drink what you think is enough, then add more! (esp. if it's really hot.)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Lisbet wrote:
Welcome Baby Girl! :)

1. Like Maryan, I don't know the med. opinion, but I am a regular coffee drinker, 1-2 cups/per day suits me fine here.

2. I'm a firm believer in holding babies - always and often! ;)

3. I'd say the temp is just fine if you keep her in a onsie/hat.

4. Nurse often, keep under garments unrestrictive, and massage when you feel one coming on. Hot compresses work well too, and drink PLENTY of water. Drink what you think is enough, then add more! (esp. if it's really hot.)

ditto all of the above.

I've kept the AC on 80 degrees for all of my babies and they have done well.

after hearing your heartbeat and being all snuggled in utero, I think it is quite startling to be laid down, even if swaddled. I just get used to holding my babies/wearing them. Lisbet is a great role model of what you can get done wearing baby (um, everything, I think!!! )

oh and I've recently read that nursing while consuming caffiene is not nearly as "bad" as when pregnant or TTC. (fwiw). I think all the studies say up to 2 cups per 24 hour period is fine, though, regardless...

I've had mastitis too many times to count. for me, I think it was pressing down on a spraying breast to stop the flow (with forearm, not thinking about it) and also stress which caused my ducts to plug up. I'd read about how farmers have to keep their cows happy and stress free to keep them from getting plugged up ....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

For mastitis prevention...tons and tons of water. I would drink probably double the 8 glassses a day rule. Once I started to do that whenever I felt alittle iffy, all my full blown infections stopped. Oh and just doing some massaging in the shower seemed to help too.

And for the temp, my first pediatrician for my first child said to just dress the baby like I'd dress myself. For swaddling, just use a cotton blanket. I have a three week old and that's what I am doing.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

thanks to all! Especially for the unanimous vote for coffee!

I do need to drink more water. I bet that would help.

God bless.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Kacky.. a 3 week old? me too.. born 7/3.. just the sweetest little guy.

ditto all the above.. I can't have caffiene myself.. wonder if Dr. Hale's site addresses it..

for heat.. we don't have any a/c the temp is what it is.. I just keep a check on them.. just like I do in winter to prevent over bundling.. I strip them down to onsie if it's hot.. ditch that hat as well.. keep a check on temp of feet and hands (if they're cold or not) and the back of the neck usually tells me if they're getting too hot..

Also on the plugged ducts.. rest is a big thing.. you need to rest as much as you can.. not just sleep but doing too much too soon. I certainly know that sometimes you can't much help it.. but do what you can.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Ah here we go... it was easier to find on Kellymom's website but she gets her info from Dr. Hale
Caffiene in infants

Basically it sounds like you just need to watch for a reaction to the caffiene and adjust from there.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2008 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Leceithin has been reported to help w/plugged ducts. I found a couple of sites that recommended it. I was looking around after 2 bouts w/mastitis & 2 bouts w/numerous plugged ducts in a 4 week period

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I wanted to suggest something that worked really well for my kids when I wanted to put them down and I couldn't hold them all the time. I am a big swaddler, even in the summer, especially for new babies. As I would feed the baby, I used to put a heating pad in the bed/bassinet to warm it up before I put them down, removing it first. I also found that rolled up blankets helped on either side too. It seems to make the transition from warm mommy to warm bed easier.

HTH

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version