Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Introducing Solid Foods Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 24 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Given that my older son has serious food allergies, I tend to be very slow and watchful when beginning solid foods. My baby is now 7 1/2 months. He's got multiple signs he's ready for food.

As with my older son, I've been using the Joneja Food Allergen Scale. I've introduced rice, pears, and bananas. I've only done a little bit at a time, and I admit not consistently. I give a day or two rest after seeing problems and try again.

Rice (mostly with my milk) was okay. But everything else he's not tolerating. They don't seem to be true food allergy signs, thinks like very frequent stools, mucousy, lots of spit up, fussy after eating for hours.

Anyone have similar experiences? I'm thinking his intestines aren't ready, even though he's very eager and ready (and hungrier).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I've always heard offer grains first (rice, oatmeal, then a blend of the two). Also, give them just the *one* thing for a week or 10 days before offering anything else. Then offer vegetables (carrots, peas, mashed sweet potatoes, etc., keeping beans last). And *then* the fruit.

If the stools are frequent and mucousy, I'd offer grains *with* the vegies and fruits every time. Just a thought.

Kath
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 24 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Kath

Jenn,

Pears can be quite acidic, especially if you are using store-bought baby pears which usually have added citric acid. So that can cause digestive issues.

In lieu of fruits, I would try some avacado first. It's full of good fats, easily digested, and pretty mild in taste. However, I don't know where avacado fits on the allergy scale, and that might be an issue.

Katherine
Back to Top View Kath's Profile Search for other posts by Kath

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jenn, At 7.5 months, if he's not tolerating, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's diggin' on the rice w/milk, stick to that for awhile. Personally, I think 7 months is still early for solids. I like to wait until 10 months or so, longer if it's not working out much.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lisbet wrote:
Jenn, At 7.5 months, if he's not tolerating, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's diggin' on the rice w/milk, stick to that for awhile. Personally, I think 7 months is still early for solids. I like to wait until 10 months or so, longer if it's not working out much.

I admire you for waiting 10 months, but I'm telling you I don't have the stamina for the added feedings throughout the day and night. I'm worn out!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I guess it just matters what it is that we are willing to allow to wear us out! For me, preparing seperate food for baby, feeding before he can feed himself, etc... I don't have the patience for that!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Hmmmmmmmm...I've always done the fruits first. We almost never give cereal. I just started mine last week, and I probably feed him once every 3 days or so. Jenn, I think I'd do whatever I could to just wait longer. It wasn't uncommon in my old LLL group for moms to do this to avoid allergy issues. Is there any chance you can stall him?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bookswithtea wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm...I've always done the fruits first. We almost never give cereal. I just started mine last week, and I probably feed him once every 3 days or so. Jenn, I think I'd do whatever I could to just wait longer. It wasn't uncommon in my old LLL group for moms to do this to avoid allergy issues. Is there any chance you can stall him?

I can stall him. I'm just looking for answers, so I can stall my husband.

I'm wondering is this a normal reaction, am I reading correctly that his tummy doesn't seem to be ready?

The fruits are not all jarred. And mixing with rice doesn't seem to help, either. He doesn't usually have diapers every day. It can be a few days. But after trying a teaspoon of food last night, I've had too many to count.

I brought it up with the ped, and of course he's concerned N is "so old" to be not eating real food. So not much help, and he said it doesn't seem to be "real allergy reactions".

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I usually wait until around 10 months as well. If any of my littles ate any solids, it was rice--plain rice. Then we'd get right in there with the kim chi.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Two things I just thought of - at least one or two of my children did not tolerate "chunks" of food very well and needed puree for longer than I thought "normal" (I can't remember how you told me you were feeding).

All four of my girls so far couldn't tolerate bananas for a LONG time. Add that to the fact that pears is supposed to be acidic and "prune-like" in it's activity and I wouldn't necessarily think that he is too young for all foods or even all fruits. Especially 'cause I hear you on being worn out with a hungry baby. But I wouldn't try a fruit next.

Did I tell you this already? I'm feeling particularly brain dead today!

The allergen scale is great, but at least for my kids they had some *weird* intolerances as infants (sweet potatoes among other low allergens) while being able to tolerate many high allergens well (like wheat).

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jenn - I do only one food for a week at a time. My schedule is rice, sweet potatoes, bananas for first 3. Mike reacted to banana. I never used baby fruit that was bought - it has citric acid - stewed pears worked great instead. Hold off the apple. Get Super Baby Food if you can - cannot link - computer playing up, restricted time

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 25 2008 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I would go along with the suggestions for sweet potato/yams and avocado as good first foods - easy to digest. One that hasn't been mentioned is meat. LLL has always included that high on the first foods list behind rice and banana. Generally it's pretty low on the allergen scale, especially if you go with turkey or lamb, though chicken is usually fine as well. My kids always seemed to do fine with that digestive wise, when things like banana or veggies seemed to come through with some "issues." I didn't realize it but I'm seeing that UK and Canada are now recommending meat as one of baby's first foods (I saw that on the wholesomebabyfood.com site you linked to ). US hasn't caught on.

And he may indeed not yet be ready and that is fine.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version