Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: modest training bra Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 18 2008 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote hsmom

Hello ladies, I know training bras have been discussed before. My dd is wanting something a little more modest. The regular training bra doesn't provide coverage enough for when she wears a t-shirt and other knit tops. Are there training size bras that have a soft cup type of coverage without actually having a cup?    I hope that makes sense. Thanks, Valerie
Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2008 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Hsmom, just in general I've had better luck at mid-priced dept. stores like Sears and Penny's for things like this, though a lot will depend on your daughter's age/size. We're fond of the "Underscore" brand which I think is a Penny's store brand. They don't seem to show some of the smaller size options online (e.g. the training bra sizes) and the prices are always better when they're having a promotion that lets you buy one get one free or some such thing. But my girls seem to like them and they do have a bit of a soft "lining" (not a cup, per se).

Hope this helps!

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

For the specific problem I believe she's trying to address, could she do what my friends and I did all through high school -- use band-aids?
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

my 11 dd has found one at Target she likes that is more like a training bra without the underwire and flair. It has a lining without the padding. Comes in white and tan. It is on a hanger and I "think" it may be by hanes.. I'll have to look.

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We have the Target one here also. They work very well.

LeeAnn

hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2008 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote hsmom

Well we've settled on the Target one as well. She still wants more coverage though so I will keep looking. We're not as close to Sears and Penneys but will look there next chance I get. Thanks for the suggestions. Valerie
Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

This isn't any help, but I COULD NOT believe what I saw the other day. My dd (just turned 11) and I were doing some shopping for her, and we were looking for a new training bra. I found racks of padded, push up bras in her section of the stores. Wild colors and patterns, low cut. I think I stood staring for a few moments with my mouth hanging open. I haven't shopped for training bras since my oldest were that age, probably 6+ years ago, and I don't remember that in the young girls section. Good grief!

We bought a sports bra for her but not exactly what we were looking for. I will try Target.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote nissag

What about an athletic bra? They've got wonderful coverage, and are soft all around. Worn under a tee-shirt, they look a bit like a cropped tank top.

I agree with Janet - those undergarments available for young gals are sometimes truly shocking. I mean, what is the message here? Goodness sakes.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 23 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

mimmyof5 wrote:
I found racks of padded, push up bras in her section of the stores. Wild colors and patterns, low cut. I think I stood staring for a few moments with my mouth hanging open. I haven't shopped for training bras since my oldest were that age, probably 6+ years ago, and I don't remember that in the young girls section. Good grief!

This is what I've found as well - it's insane

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote Bella

Yes, and Target is not immune to the padded bras,exotic styles,etc.

OH!! I just want my old fashioned dept.store still around! You know...where there were only two choices of training bras,and you didn't have to cross the entire store to try them on. And, a nice older lady was always ready to help.

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 2:12am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

For now I found some that are a sorta cross between a training bra and a sports bra.. they pull on and are soft.. reasonable coverage.. and the straps adjust which is nice.. got them at Penney's.

I definately don't like the undergarments that are overly mature for the girls.. but I can see the wild colors and patterns simply being because young girls seem to like bright colors and neat patterns.. and especially with younger girls needing bras.. the "pretty" ones are probably more likely to be worn. But there's definately a line there that is crossed between using colors and patterns and being too.. much.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We found NADA at our local Target. Everything was either sports bra style or padded and unsuitable.    I could not believe it. We are looking for something girly, feminine, and supportive.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I've found either Target or Penney's to offer the most potentially suitable selection. I can't find anything online...it's a frustrating (and very suggestive) selection out there ladies. The best we found came from Target (sorry Lisa) and though we had to settle on pink and light gray, they're lightly padded and have a large enough cup to offer modest coverage. My dd really dislikes the pullover kind.

I wish Hannah Anderson or Lands End would make something soft and comfy and supportive. Seems like Lands End used to offer a girl's training bra, but I've checked, they don't anymore.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version