Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: How do you keep your fruit Fresh? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 15 2008 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Being a smaller family, fruit moves more slowly around here. I haven't found an ideal way to keep fresh fruit (mostly berries) fresh.

I think our fridge is a hindrance, too.

For example, this week I have the makings for a fruit salad: strawberries, grapes, cherries, watermelon, and blueberries. If I make too much fruit salad, preparing the fruits (i.e., rinsing and cutting) makes them go bad even faster.

So then, the fruit that doesn't make it to the salad, what do you do with it? I want it easy to eat, pop in the mouth and go, so we can make fruit a fast food. But then again, rinsing makes them go bad faster? Or is that only strawberries?

Ideal containers? Fridge or counter?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ctrivette
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 15 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote ctrivette

I keep all of that in the fridge. Rinsing berries does seem to make them mold faster than storing unrinsed. But I have grapes and cherries washed and ready to go, just in bags or a covered bowl. Watermelon I cut in cubes or use an ice cream scoop and put it in a bowl as well...it takes too long to cut the whole thing up if I want it for lunch or something. I love when there is good fresh fruit, and we eat a lot of it!
Back to Top View ctrivette's Profile Search for other posts by ctrivette

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Philothea

An ice cream scoop for watermelon is such a great idea!
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

MamaAcorn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote MamaAcorn

I keep pears, peaches, apples, bananas, oranges in a fruit bowl on the counter. If I notice that they are ripe, they go into the fridge to slow down the ripening process. The berries and cut melon are kept in the fridge. There are green bags you can buy to keep fruit fresh longer. I haven't used them, but I have heard positive things about them.

If I notice that they're starting to get too ripe, I freeze them or make a compote, sauce, juice or puree. Citrus juice gets frozen into ice cubes to be used in sauces and drinks throughout the year (a couple lime cubes are perfect when making guacamole.) Berries and bananas can be frozen whole for smoothies or muffins.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 15 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Berries, if I can remember to do it right away, get rinsed in my salad spinner, very gently (not spun at all, just put in the water and bobbed up and down several times). Then onto a paper towel on a plate (in one layer) and onto the refrigerator shelf. They go really quickly here so I don't usually have to worry about spoilage.

One time, though, they must have (finally) gotten tired of blueberries, because one plate of them dried up in the refrigerator -- but I tell ya, those were the best dried fruit I ever ate!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version