Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: World Youth Day! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 14 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Here in Sydney. I am a WYD Homestay volunteer and I will be posting pics of WYD on my blog throughout the event, if you'd like a peek. Please pray for the success of WYD .

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Thanks, Leonie, for sharing with us.

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

ohhhhhh, I was just dyin' to start a thread asking the Aussies of the board to let us live vicariously through them for WYD!!!

We were part of the "Days in the Diocese" for WYD in Toronto in 2002. We hosted a priest and two young men from Poland. It was such a beautiful time for our parish, for our country, and for our family.

You and your country will experience so many graces from this time, Leonie! The vibrancy of the Catholic youth is just so palpable! I am so very excited for you!

Do tell us more!!!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2008 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Prayers for all of you. Lucky Australians!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 15 2008 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

We are buzzing with excitment!!!!

We hosted two brothers for Days in the Dio. A 19 and 20 year pair from Colombia. Unfortunatley we only had them with us for 2 nights, one day, rather than 4 nights as some of the other host families. We speak absolutly no Spanish, however their English was good enough for us to have quite lovely conversations. My almost 4 year old who has a severe expersive language delay was walking aroung all the pilgrims saying "Olah" ( is that the correct spelling?) and he loves to attempt to say "Ricardo."

I took them to visit 2 of my teen cousins who no longer attend Mass .I did this in the hope that seeing young, attractive males who have travelled to the ends of the earth for Jesus, might encourage them to take a fresh look at their lack of faith. They exchanged email addresses, so you never know...

In the lead up to WYD the media here was running negative stories. Mainly complaints about the cost to tax payers etc. But in the last few days that has all changed. The news is full of the excitment that hundreds of thousands of young naturally bring.

I have heard several inspiring stories.
On our local ABC radio (similar to NPC I think ie. gov. funded non-commercial radio) ran many little stores as the pilgrims stated to arrive in our city for Days in the Dio. People rang in with Pilgrim spotting stores of French pilgrims singing on the busses; host families and priests called to talk about their pilgrims. A young Mexican woman was interviewed, and put across very strongly why her faith is so important to her and so many of her country-men. One lady, after hearing these type of reports on the radio was inspired to make a welcome banner and go into the city to meet and greet the pilgrims! A lady from our parish told me that a work mates daughter said that we wanted to go to Sydney to see the Pope. The mother said that as they weren't Catholic they wouldn't go , but that she would take her to church!

In our parish we had women in their 70's and 80's spenging hours in our hall making snndwitches and hot meals for the pilgrims to eat as they arrived and departed. I could go on and on...

Australia would have to be one of the most secular countries in the world. The percentage of church attenders is very small. I think I read it was about 3-4%. I fervently hope and pray that WYD will have a wonderful impact on our society. We so desperately need the witness of the faithful youth who have decended on us.

I am SO excited!

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2008 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Looks as though we are heading down after all, a snap decision today, head off tomorrow...looking forward to everything down there!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

We are all very excited here as well. We have my PIL staying form Northern NSW and a priest friend is staying with us for one night as he is doing a talk at the Sisters of Life site. My dh has a stall at the Love and Life site at St Benedict's church where Pier Giorgio Frassati's relics have just been for the last week or so. Seeing his relics and praying next to them, imagining/knowing his incorrupt body was only millimetres from my fingers was amazing. We prayed next to him on a number of occasions and it really got our family into high spirits and hugely excited. The Love and Life site will be on fire. We hung out with the Sisters the other day (all 48 of them), the kids were playing “Pray for us” card games and just having a great time, not to mention Mum having probably a better time, talking and meeting the sisters (I don’t get out much – I couldn’t get the smile off my face). They are so vibrant and so many young nuns and postulates, very inspiring.
I was in my local supermarket yesterday and 70 pilgrims from Brazil were wondering around so the 7dc's and I stopped and started chatting for quite some time, the kids were so excited; the pilgrims had tambourines and were singing. It was great to hear, my 5yo Benedict kept playing "spot the pilgrims" he thought it was great fun – he kept saying "Mum there’s another pilgrim" I tried to tell him that when we actually go into Sydney CBD pilgrims will be everywhere but I think he will have to see that to believe me. Once we got home a whole group walked past our house and all the children went out shouting "Viva Papa". So as you can see they are all raring to go.
I’ll try and keep you all posted as things happen to our family, that’s if I don’t pass out before I hit the computer at night. It’s going to be a big week!!

“VIVA PAPA”!!!!!
God Bless
Love
Chemai

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

More pics on my blog...

Btw, our Iraqi seminarians are delayed but still trying to get here. Right now, we have a lovely young Hungarian couple staying with us. and I was running around last night, after the Mass, helping the pilgrims get home here to Kellyville. Lost or lost their host families' contact details.

In his homily, Cardinal Pell reminded the pilgrims that, in the midst of their enthusiasm, they must not forget to to Stop. Listen. Pray. Something for me to remember.
And he reminded us of the virtue of self control.
The atmosphere around us at the Mass was very prayerful. Super to see. Super just to be there!

We had weather extremes. Very sunny, very hot at lunch time - I got a little sunburned on my face so ended up buying a WYD baseball cap. For me and Anthony. Both pink. Then, during the evening Mass at Barangaroo, it was freezing. Cold. And I mean freezing.

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Thanks for the updates, Leonie! I visited your blog and was so moved by the pictures . Of course I was terribly excited to see the Canadian flag, and I even clicked on the pic to make it larger to see if I recognized anyone . No dice!    

Enjoy this blessed time and keep us posted!

ETA: I am so enjoying what all of you have written in this thread...makes me feel as though I am really participating in WYD!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2008 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote Erin

The Sisters of Life have a blogkeeping us abreast with news from THE SPOT! I saw them on the news last night, they are so awesome! Young and full of joy, and wearing habits! Wow!

My mum and three siblings are down there, so wish I was, but my prayers and thoughts are with all. I'm with you Tricia, praying that this has a positive impact on our society.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2008 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

I just love the sisters comments on our beloved
Vegemite!

Another blessing today! My Mum has decided to take our eldest on the train tomorrow to soak up the atmosphere! I'm hoping the expected 500 thousand strong crowd won't put her off staying to see the Holy Father's offical arrival.

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 16 2008 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yes, thank you for the updates and links, Leonie and all. It so reminds me of WYD spirit here in Denver 15 years ago. Soak up the blessings!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2008 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

More pics on blog.

The energy, the colour, the enthusiasm, the spirit at Darling Harbour and Barangaroo is impressive. As is the Vocations Expo - very inspiring to see priests and religious in clerical dress, in full habit welcoming pilgrims and visitors.

Each time, we and other visitors passed priests we said "Hello Father." With us was one of the kid's friends, a boy from Hillsong, an Aassemblies of God church. He was impressed by the Vocations Expo, by people's respect of priests, asked 'Are priests like heroes?"

What was also impressive was the whole floor, near the Expo, dedicated to Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and for Reconciliation.

We had coffee with Fr B., one of the friars from our parish. It was the anniversary of his ordination day.

And we had a visiting priest, from Western Australia, with us for dinner. It had recently been Fr M.'s birthday so we had a black forest cake and sang Happy Birthday.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2008 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Thanks for the updates, Leonie! One of my co-op boys is down there right now with our parish youth group, having a marvelous time, I'm sure.

Sally

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

More updates and pics on the blog. Wow, I am so excited.

The Pope arrived by boat at Barangaroo. Following the liturgy and a homily, he drove around the streets of Sydney. We were at The Domain, nearby to the Cathedral, watched the arrival and liturgy on the big Screen and were right front at the fence when the Pope drove past. I screamed and waved.

Started the day with organising the buses for the Papal Mmass for Sunday and the food for the pilgrim farewell for Monday. At the parish office. Went to a funeral of a dear lady from church. Then to the cuty.

Met up with the pigrims from our parish. And had a religious brother over for an impromptu dinner ~ pizza. Chatted to our Hungarian pilgrims, they brought me flowers! I bought them a pictorial book of Australia.

And one of the friars from our parish was interivewed in
The Australian newspaper.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Btw, we were next to some plgrims from Ave Maria University ( Florida?) with a Salesian father and some pilgrims from Sweden, with a Dominican and a Benedictine. Lovely.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 17 2008 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

It sounds so wonderful, Leonie!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Thanks again for posting, Leonie. Sam called from Sydney this morning (tonight?) and said how moving the Stations of the Cross were. He was by the Opera House. He told me that while he is a little homesick he is not looking forward to returning to the secular world and would miss the energy and daily masses. He also reported that the water really does turn counter clockwise (whiddershins) when decending Australian drains!
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Hi all
Our family are having the best time. We have been hanging out with The Sisters of Life all week as my dh has had a stall at the site. They are so inspirational and have been looking after us with maternal hearts. We have made some wonderful friends within them and will always feel a special connection to them all. I hope and pray that Gods has our country in his sights for their order to start a house here.
There site has been on fire, St Benedict’s church is a beautiful old church that is attached to Notre Dame University and has been beautifully cared for. We have had Adoration everyday and night and been saying Evening and Night prayers with the Sisters most days.
We had a lovely position along the Popes motor-cade right under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, he went by all too quickly but the moment we will cherish for ever. The weather has been only something the Our Lady could have orchestrated and has been her blue all week.
The Vocations Expo had us in awe in every direction. So much Catholicism in one place was one of the biggest treats of the week. We also got to see some Catholic entertainment with Celtic Spring, Matt Maher, Scythian and The Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. Matt Maher, Scythian were very contemporary in their style and sound but hey it’s WYD we enjoyed it!

God Bless
VIVA IL PAPA!!
Chemai

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Leonie,
I hearby nominate you as the best blog for those of us having to go to WYD via Internet. You've kept us informed and given us enough action pictures to make us feel we're in the crowd.

God bless Pope Benedict XVI and the Internet.

Thank you for sharing...all you Aussies .

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version