Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Washing a Waldorf Doll Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Phoebe needs a bath. She is Sophie's little Waldorf baby. I made her with traditional wool stuffing and a hand-crocheted mohair wig. I've been really too chicken to bathe her up to now, but she really is beginning to look disgraceful. There are a multitude of options and so I feel like I have analysis paralysis when it comes to deciding which way to wash her.

What have you all done? Felting problems? Drying strategies?

Feeling absolutely silly about this dilemma...

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I have no doll lovers and so no experience to share Nissa, but I did want to say that it's nice to see you and I hope you are feeling well.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Oh, how sweet. Thank you so much, Colleen. I'm feeling a bit better - just waiting for this relelntless nausea and exhastion to take leave. It's been nice to have a break and I feel like we're getting some things accomplished - though it seems we never will get to everything. Ahhh, well... So long as we get to the important things, no?

As soon as I've successfully washed this baby doll, I'll make the others I had planned.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Hi Nissa -

I've only given dolly sponge baths here - a damp slightly soapy cloth and some gently rubbing on the soiled areas. I rinse the cloth and use fresh clean water to redampen the cloth to wipe away any soap residue.

For drying - I let them air dry - on their blanket - I give them a turn every once in awhile. Dolly baths don't happen very often here but when they do they are big events!

For the hair - I generally snip off "fuzzy" looking tufts.

I've alway been leery of submerging a doll stuffed with natural fibers - or any kind of mechanical washing - felting and lumpy results are a real possibility.

And I do think to some extent that they deserve their slightly worn look - reminds me of the Velveteen rabbit!

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I think Magic Cabin kits had washing instructions...hmmmm......I'll look, but ti may be Monday before I can. Lucky me, my sis is coming to visit this weekend!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

We have a few waldorf dolls. One got something vile on it when someone was sick, so it was machine wash or nothing. It came out fine. You might try washing it in a mesh laundry bag. But I wash my handmade quilts in the washer too, so I am not particularly careful with such things. Your mileage may vary.

MamaAcorn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 14 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote MamaAcorn

I would hand-wash it in the sink with a wool wash or baby shampoo and tepid water. Air dry, turning every so often. That's what I do with all my woolens and hand-knits.
Back to Top View MamaAcorn's Profile Search for other posts by MamaAcorn Visit MamaAcorn's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version