Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: How do you plan out Science for the year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

I am interested to hear your plans I am unsure of how to start all I know is I like living books for science but i am not sure where to start and what to start out with. I was thinking of keeping the youngers together. Do you do units or trail off? I would love to know.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 08 2008 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I pick a focus or theme and spring from there - last year I focused on Botany, this year it's Paleontology, Geology and maybe some Astronomy thrown in. I start with a spine (which is never a textbook)!! I love the Janice vanCleave books and Handbook of Nature Study. I pull off our shelves any living book I already have on that subject and set them out. I dig online for resources and print and compile those. I sometimes plan out focused nature walks on that subject. Then, with everything before me, I sit and plan out the study. It's a loose guide because something fun always interupts a study - last year while studying Botany we started spying Bats on our afternoon nature walks, so we rabbit trailed off in that direction for awhile. Almost all of our science is studied and learned through nature study.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2008 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote 12stars

I knew that many of you took to nature study in place of a more traditional science textbook plan and that was what I am interested in more. Now for the living books what or who can I turn to for lists?

I will be getting the handbook for sure.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 08 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Claudia - If you haven't spent time at MacBeth's site, this is where you need to go for ideas!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2008 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I do science seasonally. In spring, I like to study a sort of animal husbandry thing. We study birds and migration as well. In late spring/early summer, I like to get down in the dirt and plant. Throughout the growing season, we can study botany by observing plants and recording what we find. In later summer, rocks and earth science get attention. In autumn, we harvest what we planted (which this year was nothing ) move into seasons, weather, hibernation, etc. And in winter is when we focus on chemistry and/or physics so far, only using a spine such as Usborne Science Encyclopedia ... I never feel like I get enough time or pay enough attention to our winter studies, perhaps because of pending holidays or ... more likely ... because these are the sciences I like least.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version