Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What is a duvet? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky J
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 04 2008 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Becky J

Is a duvet a type of comforter and sheet rolled into one? A home management book I once read (maybe MROL?) suggested getting duvets for a child's beds because the child just has one item to pull up when making the bed. I am trying to find that all-in-one product online, but when I search for duvets, I keep pulling up images that appear no different than comforters.

If a duvet is not a comforter and sheet rolled into one, can someone tell me what that product is called?

Thanks!
Becky J
Back to Top View Becky J's Profile Search for other posts by Becky J

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hey Becky -

Here's a definition I found wisegeek:

"A duvet is a bag filled with down, feathers, wool or other natural stuffing to create a warm bed covering that takes the place of quilts and bedspreads. Duvet is the French word for down, as in down from birds. Duvets are rather like comforters, except that they have replaceable, washable covers - much like large pillowcases.

Duvet covers are useful because duvets usually cannot be washed. Water would ruin the stuffing. However, duvet covers can be laundered along with the sheets and pillowcases. This keeps the duvet fresh as well. Duvet covers button, zip or tie at the top to keep the cover secure.

A shopper can find duvet covers in nearly any store that sells bedding, or online. Duvet covers are bought, like other bedding, according to the size of the bed. A duvet fitting a queen-sized bed needs a queen-sized duvet cover, for instance.

Another advantage of duvet covers is that they are changeable. Some are even reversible, with coordinating patterns or colors, so the home owner can change the feel of the room without having to completely redecorate. Duvet covers may be made out of any material comforters are made of: cotton, rayon, silk blends, microfiber, suede, etc. They can be purchased as part of a bedding set, in some cases, along with sheets, pillowcases and a bedskirt, all in coordinating patterns.

The one issue with duvet covers is actually getting the things on the duvet. It can be tricky, especially with king-sized duvets. The easiest way is to spread the duvet flat on the bed, with the cover turned inside out and the bottom seam facing the bottom of the duvet. The person making the bed then puts her arms inside the cover, grasps the bottom corners of the cover and the bottom corners of the duvet and raises the duvet off the bed, allowing the cover to fall around the duvet. The person can then shake the cover in place over the duvet and secure it at the top.

Duvet covers vary in price, depending on materials, manufacturer and where they are purchased. They are priced starting at about US$45, and they go up from there. However, considering that they can be washed and replaced, they are worth the investment."

Hope that helps!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2008 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote Erin

We call them doonas.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Curious here ... duvets are almost universal in the UK, to the point that I can't remember when I last slept in a bed with anything else. Do Americans still normally use sheets and blankets?

Becky, looking at pictures of comforters they look thinner than a duvet. Duvets have different "tog" ratings - a higher tog rating means a warmer duvet. Polyester stuffings are cheaper than feather or down, and also better for people with allergies.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

And polyester fillings are also washable - we use them for the reason (thinking children!), although we did once have a feather one that you could wash.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Yep, you can wash down. I do it all the time (feather/down duvets, feather beds, and feather/down pillows). I got my detergent from Cuddledown.com for it, and when I dry them in the dryer, I use their fluffers.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version