Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Charlie's Laundry Detergent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I'm looking for the best deal around. I'm on my last box of Arm and Hammer laundry detergent, and I want to go to something a bit friendlier for my septic system....

But price is a consideration. So I'm looking for a great deal--I've found it for $8.99/bag, with a flat shipping rate of $9.50, and you can fit five bags into one flat rate box (which is a smart way to do the shipping thing). Considering each bag weighs in at 3lbs, well, that would get expensive realllllllly fast, if you went on a lb by lb basis.

Does anyone have a better (cheaper) place?

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

Well, if you bought directly from the Charlie's website you could get a 5 gal bucket for 139.87 and that is like 8.75 per bag (as opposed to the 10.90/bag you would be paying). Since it is free shipping, that seems like your best deal. Of course, you have to pour alot of money into detergent now to get the savings.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

Make your own for the price of one bag and a lot more loads It is septic safe and works well.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 bar of soap (whatever kind you like; I used Lever 2000 because we have tons of bars of it from a case we bought a while back)
- 1 box of washing soda (look for it in the laundry detergent aisle at your local department store - it comes in an Arm & Hammer box and will contain enough for six batches of this stuff)
- 1 box of borax (this is not necessary, but I’ve found it really kicks the cleaning up a notch - one box of borax will contain more than enough for tons of batches of this homemade detergent - if you decide to use this, be careful)
- A five gallon bucket with a lid (or a bucket that will hold more than 15 liters - ask around - these aren’t too tough to acquire)
- Three gallons of tap water
- A big spoon to stir the mixture with
- A measuring cup
- A knife

Step One: Put about four cups of water into a pan on your stove and turn the heat up on high until it’s almost boiling. While you’re waiting, whip out a knife and start shaving strips off of the bar of soap into the water, whittling it down. Keep the heat below a boil and keep shaving the soap. Eventually, you’ll shave up the whole bar, then stir the hot water until the soap is dissolved and you have some highly soapy water.

Step Two: Put three gallons of hot water (11 liters or so) into the five gallon bucket - the easiest way is to fill up three gallon milk jugs worth of it. Then mix in the hot soapy water from step one, stir it for a while, then add a cup of the washing soda. Keep stirring it for another minute or two, then add a half cup of borax if you are using borax. Stir for another couple of minutes, then let the stuff sit overnight to cool.

And you’re done. When you wake up in the morning, you’ll have a bucket of gelatinous slime that’s a paler shade of the soap that you used (in our case, it’s a very pale greenish blue). One measuring cup full of this slime will be roughly what you need to do a load of laundry - and the ingredients are basically the same as laundry detergent. Thus, out of three gallons, you’ll get about 48 loads of laundry. If you do this six times, you’ll have used six bars of soap ($0.99 each), one box of washing soda ($2.49 at our store), and about half a box of borax ($2.49 at our store, so $1.25) and make 288 loads of laundry. This comes up to a cost of right around three cents a gallon, or a savings of $70.

Plus, you can make slime in the kitchen - and have a legitimate reason for doing so

This was from the simple dollar March 15 2007. There are a lot of suggestions on there for modifying the recipe. Also I would recommend running a load with just vinegar periodically. Also the guy who did our home inspection said No bleach in the septic system. Annie   
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2008 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I've looked around here, and I haven't found any washing soda yet. I may need to order some online, since driving around to find it is prohibitive (plus, we're a one car family, and with five dc, its not my favorite thing to do anyway)

Yeah, I knew the no bleach in the septic system (which makes me have a hard time with stains. I'm resorting to my bleach pen, which doesn't put as much in there as doing a regular wash/bleach load).

Thanks for the recipe!

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

I read some of the replies on the link and some people used Oxyclean and another something from the pool store.   However one type of oxyclean can NOT be combined with bleach. toxic chemical reaction so make sure you check the label. I guess washing soda is really getting hard to find Annie

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Annie, which kinds of soap work best? and how much would i use for a front loader? Do you know?

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc +one more due 10/08!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I've been looking at Charlie's for our cloth diapers. I want to make my own detergent for other laundry (powdered, not slime), but I keep reading that soap builds up on diapers and makes them less absorbent.

The 5 gallon bucket from this site is the best deal I found ($119.99 and free shipping on orders over $100 makes it less than 10 cents a load). $25 for 2 bags and $40 for 4 bags is cheaper, too.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

The Family Homestead This site has more info about using it with front loaders. I have used Ivory and a plain castile soap both with good results. Fragrance free yet clean Annie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version