Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: how many towels? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 26 2008 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Just curious -- how many towels is enough for your family? Do you know how many towels you have?

I just had my boys empty our linen closet onto the living room floor and threw out (well, actually we're donating them to a local animal shelter) any towel that was faded, frayed or had a hole.

As a family of 5, with a pool, I am trying to figure out how many towels to keep. We do use towels more than once when swimming - and hang towels to dry after baths - so I'm thinking 3 towels per week, per person (I like to do towel laundry once/week). I'm thinking 4 hand towels (we have 2 bathrooms, with a hanger for one hand towel) and lots of washcloths.

DH thinks I'm a bit crazy, but we have only one small linen closet and it was out of control.

Any idea how many towels you have? Or are you like me and you just somehow kept collecting more until they burst out of the closet?

Oh, and do your towels have a theme (ie all one color, or range of colors?) Ours are an eclectic mix and I'm okay with that -- but I'm a bit jealous of those who manage to keep a theme going ;)

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2008 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

we just cleaned out our closet also! we had towels from when we first got married!!! Old old old!

the kids each have one nice bath towel (I have I have two backups) dh and I have two each.

we each have two pool/beach towels.

there are hand towels (three each) for each bathroom
and a few washclothes.

I anticipate buying new pool/beach towels each year, as ours get a ton of use.

I bough nice bath towels though... so hopefully those will last a bit.

I wash as needed. sometimes after each use. but we try to get a few uses out of them.

most of our old towels got donated to the dog box (for washing/dying the dog or to line her crate) or to the rag box.
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2008 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I was just able to get new towels..

I kept 2 of the best older towels in the bathroom.. then one new bath towel per person, 6 hand towels, 6 new washclothes and 8? older ones in good shape.. 2 bath mats (those are the towel like rugs without a backing).

We each have a pool towel.

the rest are now "garage towels" suitable for cleaning up messes and sopping up water when the littles get carried away in the bath or used in the yard like when playing in the sprinklers or for washing the cars etc etc etc.

I figure there has to be one per person for those hectic times when we run out of time (for one reason or another) and everyone has to shower in quick succession before Church or such.

But too much more than that and we'll be overrun with towels.. I think I'd like to get another maybe 4 sets (bath and hand towel and washcloth).

Oh and ours are all matching for in the bath. But the pool towels are all individual colors/patterns.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2008 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We are down to not very many towels here (too many cross country moves!). We have one for each person, and two for the long haired girls. We have two extra for company and then we have 2 beach towels (need to get more of those).

They are all in bad need of replacement and there is absolutely no colour scheme

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2008 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I should add....we live in a very old home with only one small closet (in the boys room). So things like towels can't pile up

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

SimplyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2008 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote SimplyMom

According to my handy-dandy linens checklist we keep three bath towels per person (one pool towel and two bath towels) and each person has two wash towels and (in theory) two hand towels. Right now I am short on hand towels.     

SimplyMom from Simply Catholic
Back to Top View SimplyMom's Profile Search for other posts by SimplyMom Visit SimplyMom's Homepage

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2008 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote monique

I have no idea how many towels we have but we have 6 hooks in the bath and each person has their own color towel. DH -orange, me-Dk blue, DD -purple, ds- yellow, ds - bright blue, ds - lime green, ds - light blue

We have lots of extra towels in the large closet we have in the bath. I really like having the color code. They all have matching hand towels and wash clothes as well. The hand towels don't really get used by just one person like the wash clothes and towels.

We also have lot of pool towels but I was informed lately that most of them are for babies (princess/teletubby/woody themes) so I imagine "big kid" ones will need to be purchased soon. But I'm holding off as long as I can!
Monique
Mom to 5

Raising Saints
Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

The kids have two sets of bath towels each. My dh and I have four sets, I think, but some of them could be retired. I also have two sets of towels in the guest bath in case we have overnight guests (a pretty rare occurrence).

We don't have a pool at home, but we spend a lot of time in pools . My beach towel stash has slowly disappeared over the past three years of swim team participation, so this year when I saw a good deal on stripy Target towels I grabbed a bunch. I just counted eight beach towels in my closet, and only one is a beater.    Four people here!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We each have two bath towels (as I wash 1x a week and the towels do not always dry in a day) and two hand towels for the bathroom. We never have overnight guests so don't have towels for that purpose. We have about four of the small bath towel size spare towels which we use for drying hair. We keep a bath towel in the car for paddling etc, and have two towels for our dog, after her baths.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2008 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

The kids have 2 each in their own color for bath & 1 pool towel each, plus dh & I have 8 in 1 color. I wash towels 2x per week. we just started this color-coded-only 2-towels system 2 months ago & I love it!! My bathroom closets & laundry hampers are not overstuffed w/fraying towels. This has also cut down on towels being left in their rooms, they have a hook in the bathroom to keep them.

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

we are a family of 7, and we have 5 beach towels, and 10 Bath towels. the bath towels are all white, and bleach up nicely either with bleach or clothesline drying!
We have 8 hand towels (for 2.5 baths), and about 8 washcloths.
Our linen closet is stuffed!! So I never thought that we had too few towels...
I do launder the bath towels about 3x per week, even more for the older two boys in the summer....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version