Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Vasectomy reversal? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Laura in BC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 24 2008 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Laura in BC

Friends of mine are considering a vasectomy reversal. He had his vasectomy done 8 years ago and they're looking into their options.
Does anybody know if there's a big difference between the newer microscopic method vs whatever method they used before? There is a local doctor who doesn't use the microscopic method and they're wondering if it's worth travelling out of town and waiting longer to get it done.
They don't know many people who have had it done, but are very eager for any information that could be helpful if anyone here has been through it or knows someone who has.
Thanks.
Back to Top View Laura in BC's Profile Search for other posts by Laura in BC

litabitm
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 09 2008 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote litabitm

Laura, I don't know much about the procedure either, but there is a wonderful website called www.onemoresoul.com that has loads of information. There is a section on "Sterilization Reversal" and I think there is a listing of doctors. There is also a list of Doctors that won't prescribe birth control, but promote natural family planning.

Good Luck to your friends,

Liz
Back to Top View litabitm's Profile Search for other posts by litabitm

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Hi Laura -

I didn't see this before. I also highly recommend the One More Soul website.

My husband has his first appointment for a reversal this Saturday - we are hoping to have the procedure done in December.

My understanding is that the microscopic procedure is more effective and has a higher success rate, especially if the reversal can be done within the first 10 years of the initial vasectomy. It also allows for lower costs as it can be done in an in-office suite rather than the hospital.

If it weren't for the cost - we would have done this a couple of years ago - I can hardly believe it might actually become a reality! Even the "low cost" procedure will cost us about $6,000.

I think the saddest thing in our case is that a Catholic physician performed the initial vasectomy.

My prayers for your friends.

Laura in BC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 11 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Laura in BC

Thank you Liz for that site, I'll send it to my friend.
Donna, congratulations! I hope that you'll be looking at a positive pregnancy test in the new year!
My friends have a date to get their procedure done next month. It's so exciting, and I've been busy harassing her about charting her cycle, taking folic acid, fish oils etc. as well as pomegranate juice for him.
They went with the microscopic in the end. The macroscopic could have been done at our local hospital and in Canada, that means that it would be free, but they thought it was worth the money to go to the clinic for the micro and have a better chance at success.
Back to Top View Laura in BC's Profile Search for other posts by Laura in BC

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 12 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I was glad to see that someone had some suggestions and resources to share even though they weren't before the decision of which type surgery was made. Just wanted to add how beautiful it is to hear of stories like this - a couple's decision to take this step in openness to life.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version