Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: low fat food and nutrition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2008 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote Alison

My daughter has been asked to write an essay on low fat foods for nutrition and their positive effects on the obesity crisis. She would like to find some research/arguments also that counter her teacher's philosophy. So I am coming to you ladies for ideas/help. My feelings are that low fat food is often highly processed and so has more of the questionable additives/chemicals in it. (Her teacher is adamant that this kind of food is healthy for adults.)But I don't know where to go to help her find research that might support this argument. Also I wonder whether the emphasis on low fat(99% fat free etc)is just emphasizing food obsessing to the two ends of the eating curve(ie obesity and anerexia)
And while this nutrition course is emphasizing in neon lights almost the obesity issue whether doing this could increase add to the rising rates of anerexia(which while the numbers may not be so high has a much higher percentage/risk of mortality)
Phew what a rave! I guess I better get off my soap-box. But I really would appreciate any research you know of,places to look for info, ideas etc
blessings
Alison
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2008 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote monique

I'm not sure if Dr. Mercola has any information like this but I really like his web site and newsletter.

Dr. Mercola

Monique
Mom to 5
Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 23 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't have any info or links.. but I've also heard that things that are fat free have a higher amount of sugar (possibly calories?). That might be another thing to check into.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Mary Enig, PHD, has done a lot of research on fats. I think she has a book. Also, the Weston Price foundation has a website, I am sure, with info on this subject. She could google those two and find out about the other side of the discussion.
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

ladycarobe
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote ladycarobe

She could read 'Eat to Live' from Dr Fuhrman. He promotes a diet low in ADDED fat, but rich in nuts and avocado's etc, so certainly not fat free.

And he makes it very clear why processed foods are indeed bad for you.
His book is very compelling.

His website: www.drfuhrman.com (I don't know how to link).

mom to dd6 , dd4 and dd2 and pregnant.
Back to Top View ladycarobe's Profile Search for other posts by ladycarobe

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

Mary Enig and Sally Fallon wrote a book called, Eat Fat, Lose Fat that is extremely informative. She could also check out the Weston A. Price's website where they site Mary Enig's research.
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version