Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: On Line Grocery Shopping Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 20 2008 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

A local grocery store is offering online grocery shopping for a $5 fee. I think this is a great deal! My dh thinks otherwise. The store is not known to be cheaper than walmart (his side), but I will not be wandering the aisles...impulse buying (my side), plus, I just order from home, & go through the drive thru to pick it up...sounds very new baby/6 kids friendly. I think I will also have more control over how much I spend b/c I can add/delete items at will, verses already being at the counter & realizing my bill is getting higher, even though I use a calculator.

So, what's your experience? Do any of you online grocery shop?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2008 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

OH MY STARS!!! I would do it in a New York minute if I could!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

The only on-line shopping I do is Sams club. I order it and then pick it up. I will say, without a doubt, that when I order and pick up I do alot less impulse spending. Even if I forget to order something I need, I often go without if it means driving back to the store. (It's amazing what you can do without.)

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2008 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I would do it in a heartbeat if it were offered here. We had this in St. Louis and though the service didn't last (this was in the mid-'90's and was largely experimental and I guess not many people availed of the service). I had my one delivery in the middle of a snowstorm -- I had a 6-yo and a 6-month old baby and it was truly a Godsend when the delivery person showed up at my door with all my groceries!! I think $5 is an excellent deal. (gosh, just the gas and the hour or so I'll spend going up and down the aisle) I know they have it in Chicago and New York. If I remember correctly, Macbeth has done this before (???).

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2008 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh Stef.. we lived in Tucson about 7 yrs ago and I was so sick with my 3rd pregnancy.. the store I normally shopped at offered DELIVERY for $10.. a real life saver.. so much easier on me than trying to take two littles out to the store when I could hardly function. Now I'm lucky that I can get pizza delivery

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Most people in my neighborhood order groceries online and have them delivered. We even have some things delivered. Everyone agrees that it cuts down on impulse buys and gets you to meal plan more efficiently. I think it would save me the $5 easily just in not having to buy the things the kids throw in the cart when I'm not looking! Do you track grocery expenditures normally? If so I would try this new method for a month or two and then compare. Its worth a lot to make your life less crazy, too.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Oh gosh, I'd save on impulse buys, gas and time. Delivery hasn't come to my little town yet, but I could easily see doing it.

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2008 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I'd do this in a heart beat....I've switched all our toiletries and cleaning products to online ordering and it is so worth it. If I go do all my groceries this way, I'd do it in a minute.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 20 2008 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That seems like a really good deal. You could easily spend $5 in gas on a few shopping trips. It is $10 here for the store that has this service. It isn't my prefered store so I don't use it. I tend to shop two others that have better sale prices, but I have lots of friends who do the delivery and swear by it for the reasons mentioned:
-don't have to shop with littles
-can get total price before purchasing and make adjustments
-no impulse buying

Now, another question. Do you tip the delivery person? You don't have to, but that could add a little more expense. My friend who uses the service most, does tip. She feels they really go out of their way to unload right into the kitchen for her - another plus.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2008 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I really like online shopping. Safeway offers online shopping, plus they deliver the groceries to your home and put them in the kitchen. They do not allow you to tip the delivery person, and I understand they make a decent wage. We tried to tip a couple different times, but they always refused the tip.

I have to be organized in order to do it, but when I can get my act together it is extremely useful. I did it quite often during my last pregnancy because I was so sick. My mom has ordered groceries for us as a gift -- she is in WI and we're in AZ and it is such a treat!

Delivery rates are $10, but there are often coupons and savings so the delivery charge is cut in half, or sometimes free.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 20 2008 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I did it for years when my children were young. It was a great deal, and it was soooooo easy. Plus, it did keep the cost down without impulse buying.

My argument? My time is worth way more than $5 an hour. Or even $10.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2008 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I've been doing online grocery shopping since my surgery in May. I'm not allowed to lift and carry, dh is busy and stressed with work, kids are busy, too.

Well, I shop online once a fortnight, it costs $10 for delivery - but I am spending about $100 less per fortnight. I must be a bigger impuse buyer than I thought ( and I already knew I was an impulse buyer - but saving $100 every two weeks! ).

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2008 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote mary

door to door organics is a fantastic service. they deliver my produce every week. love em.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2008 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I forgot about DTDO, thanks for the reminder, mary! Yes, and you can pick from 3 different sizes of boxes. You get notified ahead of time what you're getting, in case you want to make any substitutions. My only complaint about it is that my local guy promised he'd be carrying the products of local farmers, but that was in the winter and I haven't received one local item. So I'm back to buying from the farmers' market and maybe will use DTDO in the winter again.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Totally worth it! Five dollars is cheap for a delivery charge. I have used an online grocery delivery service on and off for several years. It is great when pregnant and you can't stand the smells in the store, when you can't face shopping with all the kids in tow, when you are home with a newborn...basically all the time! It is worth it to me just to be able to avoid the dreaded check-out line with all the candy and magazines!

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2008 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Jenny,

I do this. We don't live in the delivery area, so I order online and dh picks up on his way home from work. He is literally in the parking lot for 5 min while they pack the car. $5 IS worth it.

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

This store does not deliver, it is pick up. I played around w/it yesterday. Their laundry detergent is about $3 higher than walmart & I think their paper products are higher as well. What I may do is a walmart run once a month for those items & use the online grocery for my weekly shop. This used to be the option out in our area before super walmarts; people used this grocery store for their groceries & walmart for household items.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Jenny,
You can get a lot of your staples from Amazon with free shipping. You can even subscribe to items based on how much you use and they will automatically (with email notice) ship it at assigned intervals. Not all the prices are better than the store (in my case Costco) but many are.

I don't do Walmart.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Oh I would love that! I wish someone around here did that. I would say it is totally worth the $5.

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2008 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote mary

stefoodie wrote:
I forgot about DTDO, thanks for the reminder, mary! Yes, and you can pick from 3 different sizes of boxes. You get notified ahead of time what you're getting, in case you want to make any substitutions. My only complaint about it is that my local guy promised he'd be carrying the products of local farmers, but that was in the winter and I haven't received one local item. So I'm back to buying from the farmers' market and maybe will use DTDO in the winter again.

i know what you mean about local BUT, what will be local in the middle of winter in cincinnati? not much. here is our box list for next week:
FAIR TRADE BANANAS
Fuji Apples
Kiwi
Lemons
Peaches
Raspberries
Plums
Bok choy
Broccoli
French Breakfast Radish
Green Onions
Green Pepper
Jumbo Yellow Onion
Red leaf lettuce
Roma Tomato
Russet Potatoes
Table Carrots
White Mushrooms
Basil

i'm sure that the lemons, kiwi, and bananas are not local. i support my local farmers - i buy eggs, poultry and beef from farmers. i buy my staples from a coop. i'm not willing to give up my fruit!   
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version