Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Recipes for Shared Meals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 13 2008 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

One of the greatest blessings a family can receive is a prepared meal when things are hectic (at least IMO!) I know I was blessed with weeks of meals after Lydia's birth and I often share with others how wonderful that was. When my boys hear of a family with a new baby, they often ask when we'll be taking a meal over to them.

Since I apparently don't have enough on my plate already, I decided I'd like to compile recipes of good "sharing" meals for families. New babies, illnesses and any time that a meal would help out a family! I think (know) that sometimes people don't know what to prepare, and so don't volunteer. I thought it would be nice to compile a booklet of recipes to give ideas to anyone who likes to share with other families in this way.

Do you have a favorite recipe you like to make for families? Do you have a favorite meal that you've received yourself? Would you be willing to share it with me?

If you're interested, I will share the compiled recipes with anyone who shares a recipe (s) with me. I plan to ask on a couple other lists and via my adress book as well, so I'm hoping to have many recipes.

Main meals, sides and dessert recipes are all welcome.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2008 at 2:35am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

I would be very interested in the compiled list.

I don't have any recipe to share tho ... as the one I really like isn't mine. It is the Poppyseed Chicken that Mary in SHHE makes.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

yabby
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 13 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote yabby

What a blessing that you have started this thread. I was searching for just such a recipe for the last week or so and finally decided one of mine may work well for this. The main problem I have is finding a recipe that will freeze well just in case it isn't needed right when I deliver it. Please add me to the list that gets your compiled recipes.

The recipe I've decided to try is:

Cabbage Roll Casserole (or Pepper Casserole)

1 lb ground beef (or buffalo/turkey)
½ cup chopped onion
1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce
1-3/4 pounds chopped cabbage
OR 1 Green pepper and 1 Red pepper
        Chopped and seeded
1 ½ cups uncooked white rice
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
14 oz beef broth

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a large skillet, brown beef. Drain off the fat.
In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, cabbage (or pepper or combination of both), rice and salt. Add meat and mix all together. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 (or two 9x9) baking dish(es). Pour broth over meat mixture and bake in the preheated oven, covered for 1 hour. Stir, replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.

Another option if you have less time:

Tater Tot Casserole

½ pkg frozen tater tots (any variety)
1 pkg frozen mixed vegetables
2 cans beefy mushroom soup
8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese (or any mix yellow)

Layer tater tots in a small casserole dish (apx 9x9)
Top with mixed veggies. Next add the two cans of soup and top with shredded cheese.

Finally, I was thinking of making up a crock pot meal that the husband could just dump in from a baggy:

Italian Bean Soup

1 cup dry great northern beans
1 cup dry red beans
1 28-ounce can tomatoes cut up
1 medium onion chopped
2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon granules
2 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning crushed
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 9oz package frozen Italian style green beans or cut green beans

Soak beans overnight and rinse.

In a 3 ½ or 4 quart crock pot/slow cooker combine beans, 4 cups fresh water, undrained tomatoes, onion, bouillon or beef stock, garlic, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and pepper. Cook uncovered on low-heat setting for 5 ½ to 6 ½ hours or until beans are almost tender. Meanwhile, thaw green beans; stir into soup. Cook about 30 minutes on high-heat setting or till beans are tender.
Back to Top View yabby's Profile Search for other posts by yabby

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2008 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I make so little from recipes I'll have to really think about that. But I did have some suggestions that involve less (or no) cooking and would be very nice to recieve.

Taking disposable tableware, plates, napkins, forks etc.. would give as much of a break as a meal would maybe more because most people would get several meals without table dishes just from regular sized packs.

I've had a neighbor who happened to be at the store when the deli was marking things down for the evening and so she picked up one of the roasted chickens they have. She brought over some rice and such with it but really since it's good cold and leftover.. just dropping one off "extra" was wonderful.. since it's easy to slice up for some lunch.. chicken salad type of thing or whatever.. and certainly saves us a lot of time on prep for a meal.

Also don't limit yourself to dinners.. easy to serve breakfast in particular would be soooo nice. Maybe a couple types of quick breads or a breakfast casserole.. or even a couple types of cold cereal and a half gallon of milk would be lovely.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 13 2008 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

I would love to be a part of this, too! I have been coordinator of "Martha's Kitchen" for our homeschool group for 2 years. I have always kept it very simple. One of my favorite recipes is from a meal I received from a friend right after I had my son. The recipe is found here. It was the favorite of my children of all the meals we received and I make it pretty regularly now. The best part is that ALL my children like it ! That's a rare find (although my 5 year old tries to pick out her tomatoes ).

I do a few other meals too, that are so simple, they don't really require a recipe.....just a few directions. I make a pasta salad in the summer that is basically bowtie pasta, cut up boneless chicken breast, light Italian dressing, and whatever raw veggies you like or have on hand. Just mix all together and chill overnight in fridge. I send it with rolls, fruit, and a dessert.

The other one I do is just cooked pasta (whatever shape), frozen meatballs heated in the sauce (from a jar), mix together, put into a lg. foil baking pan, top with shredded mozzarella and melt cheese in oven. That's it. I send a bagged salad or cut up mini bagged carrots along with rolls and a dessert.

I know the last 2 probably don't count as real recipes, but they work for people like me who want to help out, but really don't care all that much for cooking .

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 14 2008 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The two that I do most often are both pasta based. They freeze well. I get frequent requests for both recipes after the fact as everyone's kids seem to really like them.

Chicken Scampi (adapted from Crème de Colorado Cookbook)

1/4 cup butter
1/4 olive oil
1/2 to 1 T. minced garlic (depending on taste)
3 T. lemon juice
3-4 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 T. dried parsley
about 3 T. or 1/3 can of tomato paste

In skillet, heat together butter & olive oil, and saute garlic. Add chicken and brown it. Add tomato paste, lemon juice, and parsley. Mix to coat chicken and cook until done. Add small amount of liquid if needed so that it stays a little juicy - it can be more lemon juice to taste or just water. Serves 6-8.

Cook a pasta of choice - we usually use spinach fettuccine - it's a good combo and the colors look good together! Put drained pasta in foil pan. Pour chicken mixture/sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with a little fresh grated parmesan.

This is sort of a simple/basic through together recipe like Tina mentioned.

Sausage and Cheese Tortellini
3-4 fresh Italian sausages (mild)
bottle of prepared pasta sauce (traditional) or make own
cheese tortellini
spices
cheese

I fry sausage in small amount of olive oil until firm. Then I cut it up into thin slices and continue frying until cooked through. Add pasta sauce to sausage and mix. Added desired spices to taste (I use garlic powder, onion powder, basil and oregano). Boil tortellini. After it is cooked and drained pour sausage sauce over tortellini and mix to coat. Put in foil pan. Sprinkle cheese (Italian mix or mozarella) over top.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2008 at 5:45am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I will often do meatloaf (the recipe is already on a thread about meatloaf recipes), mashed potatoes, and green beans/peas. I will double the recipes and make it for us as well.

I also will do a pot roast slow-cooker recipe that has crushed tomatoes, carrots, and onion. For the sauce, you remove the roast and blend the veggies (I use a plunger blender for less mess, but of course you can use a regular blender). It makes a lot of sauce which is good with the leftover roast chopped up fine and poured over egg noodles. So, I'll take the roast with sides for the dinner with an uncooked bag of noodles for them to have an easily prepared meal from the leftovers.

I've also done "El Gando" which is basically taco meat/seasonings with canned diced tomatoes and cooked yellow rice added (which are tasty and make the meat go further). You crush corn chips for the base and just build it like a taco salad with shredded lettuce, grated cheese, fresh tomatoes, olives, sour cream, onions, etc...

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I do my own taco seasoning and yellow rice, but this is the recipe from my mother as she always made it growing up:

El Gando

2lb. ground beef

1qt tomatoes, diced (I use canned diced, drained)

2 pkg Taco mix

1/2 tsp salt

2 small packages yellow rice

2 cups or more crushed fritos

8 ozs or more grated cheese

1/2 cup or more chopped olives

2 cups shredded lettuce

1/2 cup chopped onions

1 or more fresh tomatoes

Cook beef, add salt, taco mix, and quart of tomatoes. Simmer until almost dry. Cook rice according to directions. Put 1/3 of meat mixture aside. Add rice to meat mixture and stir well then pour into large serving dish. Pour remining meat mixture to cover. Sprinkle with grated cheese and decorate with tomato wedges. [this is for pretty serving, I just mix all the rice and meat mixture up at once and served diced tomatoes and cheese as topping options].This is a complete meal which can be prepared in about 30 minutes. You serve it up like taco salad with all the topping options. Serves 6-8 adults.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 17 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

Shepherd's Pie
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Pulled chicken sandwiches are easy and the husbands and kids go crazy for them. Cook a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot with barbecue sauce until they pull apart easily with a fork. Shred it, pack it up and take it over with hamburger buns, potato chips and bagged salad. It's not the healthiest or fanciest, but it's not the worst for you, either, and it tastes pretty great!
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2008 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

The pulled chicken sandwiches sound delicious and easy enough even for me to make! I might have to try that one for us.

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2008 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here are a few of my favorites to make for people:
- Egg, Cheese, Sausage Bake is good for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Beef Stew in the crock pot with a loaf of French bread
- Whole Chicken placed in 9x13 with Potatoes & Carrots
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese with a couple packages of Kielbasa
- Enchiladas
- (in the summer) Grilled Chicken on the BBQ with a green salad or potato salad
- Chicken Marbella w/ couscous and a green vegetable for steaming

I usually bake a loaf of bread in the bread machine and include it too.

We've also done muffins or a breakfast bread for breakfast. Included with some yogurt and juice.

A few Meal-sized salads with lots of raw veggies cut up for the mommy is always appreciated. When my neighbors ask what they can do for me after a baby is born, I always tell them to just make me a salad when they are making theirs!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version