Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Extended b'feeding and fertility Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 02 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote RyaneM

Hi all,
I have a question for all of you who have extended b'feeding experience. Anyone find that they were unable to conceive another baby until they completely weaned the nursing child?

My just turned 3 yo son nurses to fall asleep at night but that is it. My cycle has been very irregular and long since it returned when he was 14 mos old. We have been trying to conceive another child since with no success. I am wondering if my nursing is what is impacting my cycle and if others have found that they were unable to conceive while continuing to b'feed.

Thanks,
Ryane
Back to Top View RyaneM's Profile Search for other posts by RyaneM

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 02 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

RyaneM wrote:
Hi all,
I have a question for all of you who have extended b'feeding experience. Anyone find that they were unable to conceive another baby until they completely weaned the nursing child?

Only once. Katie was weaned when she was just shy of three. Karoline was conceived five months later. We had been hoping and praying and trying all the time between them. I was just turning forty. So, I really thought that the weaning was necessary related to diminished fertility because of my age. But the baby I'm carrying now was conceived while still nursing a one-year-old A LOT!!! And now I'm really, really old. I've tandem nursed the rest.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Elizabeth wrote:
And now I'm really, really old. I've tandem nursed the rest.

LOL! Ya are not!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I have some friends who cannot get pregnant while bfing at all.

I think that the average spacing in traditional cultures that practice extended bfing is 3.5-4 years; so, to not be able to conceive with a three year old nursing is still "normal," imo, if on the outside of it. I know of young fertile women who have a 3.5 year spacing between their children simply from bfing. My own spacing is 25-28 months between. I've only had one cycle (just before my current pregnancy) since August of 2003!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I do not return to fertility until a few months after total weaning. However, I over produce prolactin (basically have strong letdown/too much milk until totally weaned) and I think that the supply coupled with the fact that I routinely lay down with my kids to nurse when home (slowed the flow a bit )"tricks" the body into thinking it is still in recovery mode/not ready for another......

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

CrunchyMom wrote:
I've only had one cycle (just before my current pregnancy) since August of 2003!

Isn't that the best!!!
I am thankful for the very long breaks, esp since my bleeding can be 7-9 days with large clots and quite heavy
when I used to grumble and moan about the hard spray/constantly leaking bfeeding issues, I tried to remind myself to be grateful that I was not dealing with a mess anywhere else!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote RyaneM

Thanks so much to everyone who responded.

LisaR wrote:
I think that the supply coupled with the fact that I routinely lay down with my kids to nurse when home (slowed the flow a bit )"tricks" the body into thinking it is still in recovery mode/not ready for another......

This is interesting, Lisa. I also tend to lie down with ds when he was/is nursing. Thanks for mentioning this.

Ryane
Back to Top View RyaneM's Profile Search for other posts by RyaneM

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

My fertility usually returns at 4ms post partum, tandum nursing even, and definetly laying down nursing for the first year or so (how else would they ever go down for a nap!!! ) I've gotten pregnant as early as 5 months postpartum.   I've suffered 7 early losses, breastfeeding may or may not have had anything to do with it. Everyone is so different.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Lisbet wrote:
   I've suffered 7 early losses, breastfeeding may or may not have had anything to do with it. Everyone is so different.

this is so sad I'm sorry for all of your losses.
yes, everyone is SO different.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

This is the first time I have extended bf and my dd is 15 mo (today!) and I still haven't had my cycle return. I am glad you brought this up Ryane because we would like to conceive again too, but who knows when I will be fertile again. I don't want to wean or anything and my dd doesn't hardly eat anything else and nurses a lot still so we can only hope and pray!

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2008 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I've gotten pregnant while nursing and before my cycle returned every time. No cycles here since I got married If you're worried, talk to someone in your area who teaches NaProTechology (or perhaps CCL?). It can be really hard to figure out what's going on fertility-wise when nursing. We're at 17 months...going on 18 and this is the longest I've gone between babies without ovulating...I'm getting older (though I know I'm not old)   

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Sparrow
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Sparrow

Hi Ryane,

For many women, a child nursing only once a day will probably not affect their fertility. However, some women's bodies are more sensitive than others. 3 years with no resumption of fertility may be uncommon but isn't necessarily abnormal

Then you get the ladies at the other end of the spectrum who exclusively breastfeed on demand, baby wear, co-sleep, etc, and have their fertility return within a month or two of birth!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version