Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: what do I feed this boy? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 30 2008 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Ok ladies I need frugal snack ideas for my 7yr old son. He is a bottomless pit! When I give him fruit for snack he comes back saying he is still hungry and even after eating all his lunch he is still hungry. I just can't keep him full and our food budget isn't very big. I need ideas of cheap filling food. Have you seen the price of cheese lately???? My oldest dd eats quite a bit, but he eats a ton! I can't imagine what he is going to be like in a few years All you mamas with big eaters, I need help!

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2008 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Peanut butter! Put that with an apple or banana, or on celery sticks, or crackers.
Hard boiled egg
Do you have any leftovers? Some protein is what would fill him up, like leftover meat.

That's all I can think of right now.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

My boys would eat a week's plan for fruit in a day if I let them

In our house, I try to offer snacks that are part protein -- thankfully they both like peanut butter and don't have nut allergies. We pair peanut butter with crackers, celery, sliced apples, carrots, pretzels, etc.

They do ants on a log frequently (peanut butter in celery with raisins and/or chocolate chips)

A small cup of nuts with a fruit also works. The other day we crushed some peanuts and covered banana slices and had that for a snack.

Leftover grilled chicken and frozen grapes (they take longer to eat). Rolled up deli turkey around a pretzel rod.

Slice of bread and butter or bread and jam. Cheese toast (I shred the cheese so I can use less than a slice would be.)

I also make sure they drink a glass of water with their snack. Sometimes they're thirsty and think they're hungry.

OH, and I have them prepare their own snack as much as possible. It takes longer and they seem to enjoy it more and I think it cuts down on mindless eating if they know they have to do it themselves and not just have it handed to them. They both know how to prepare celery, peel carrots, slice bananas, scoop out peanut butter, butter bread, etc. It took more time at first to help them learn the skills, but now it's easy for them.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I also may require that they drink WATER before getting anything more... thirst can masquerade as hunger at times.. and what they really need is a drink of water (especially true in the summer) not more food.

Also make sure things are spaced out some.. sometimes it just takes longer for their brains and tummies to figure out that.. oh they really did eat enough.. especially if they were "starving" and scarfed down the last thing way to fast

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Where would we be without peanut butter! I am very thankful for no peanut allergies. I fix him a peanut butter tortilla sometimes and he dips pretzels in peanut butter too sometimes. I guess I need to make sure he has protein in his snack. Having him fix it is a great idea. He likes to fix lunch sometimes so I know he can do it. Thanks for the ideas so far, and if anyone has anymore please keep them coming!

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2008 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Vanilla yogurt with fruit. Buy the large containers and add your own fruit. Shredded cheese on tortillas-you use less I've noticed, with a little salsa. Peanut butter and apple is big around here. I cut up fruits like pears and apples into slices for sharing.
God bless,
Mary-NY
PS bottom-less pit boys turn into men with metabolisms that let them eat anything without gaining weight, while you can weight by looking at food! I married one!
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 02 2008 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Lori B

By bottomless pit needs protein or he still feels hungry. Nuts, a slice of cheese, a small bowl of cottage cheese or yogurt, a hardboiled egg, a bit of leftover meat (cold meaatballs are apparently delicious ), along with a slice of bead, crackers, fruit, wholegrain pretzels etc.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 02 2008 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Fat, as well as protein, will help one feel more satiated. I use coconut oil in cooking, but I know some people use it as a supplement. There is a diet called, "The Coconut Diet" that uses it as a supplement because in addition to other benefits, it also aids in helping people feel satisfied and not overeat.

It isn't cheap, but you also don't have to use a lot of it. Perhaps if he wouldn't take it straight as a supplement, if he likes the flavor (which, admittedly, the different brands and refined vs. unrefined varieties have very different flavors) which is a subtle coconut flavor, you could mix a spoonful of it with nutbutter to give the nutbutter a little more staying power.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 02 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Jess

Thank you all for the great ideas. I am really making sure he gets more protein and drinks water.
Mary, I married one too

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version