Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: I hate potty training Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 29 2008 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

I hate it.
I hate it.
I hate it.
I hate it.
I hate it.

I'll give you three guesses as to what we're doing in our house right now! The boys were so easy-- in less that two weeks, they went cold turkey and were trained. My daughter . . . sigh. Someday. Maybe when she's 12 . ..

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

wow, and I thought I was the only one!! my four boys were easy easy easy, all practically trained themselves between on average btween the ages of 20-24 months.
now Miss Maria, well, I think it took quite a few months, and wow, taking a little GIRL to the bathroom in a gas station/ Wal Mart, etc is just NOT as easy as a boy
praying for you!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2008 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Aren't girls great?!

My just turned two year old has started saying "pooped" and "soaked", so she is very aware but clueless about the potty.

Today, she decided that instead of just telling me she needs changed she should take off the diaper and give it to me. Fortunately, she hadn't "pooped" either time!

I guess it is time to begin...

So Anne, I'll be crying with you!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Roma
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 29 2008 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Roma

LisaR wrote:
wow, and I thought I was the only one!! my four boys were easy easy easy, all practically trained themselves between on average btween the ages of 20-24 months.
now Miss Maria, well, I think it took quite a few months, and wow, taking a little GIRL to the bathroom in a gas station/ Wal Mart, etc is just NOT as easy as a boy
praying for you!!

it'll be different with a girl for sure. i always loved standing DS on the toilet backwards so we didn't have to touch anything in the public restroom
Back to Top View Roma's Profile Search for other posts by Roma

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2008 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Anne your opening post had me ROFL! I can relate. Girl #4 is potty training as we speak. All I can say is thank the Good Lord we have our own carpet cleaner machine.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2008 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Oh Anne! You have my sympathies! My DS was very good about the schedule and the timer (I used the book "Toilet Training in less than a Day" with him), but my DD was so independent about everything. It had to be on HER terms: the underwear (and WHICH ONES), which potty, how to sit on it....SIGH. I have to say that once she was ready, she did it all herself. She has stopped wearing pull-ups at night and STAYS dry. I just had to help her in a way that she didn't realize that she was being helped, if that makes any sense.

I wish you luck! It will get better!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2008 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Oh, poor you.

Funnily enough, it was the opposite in our house. Dds were easy peasy lemon squeezy, ds was awkward as anything and in nappies at night for months and months.

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2008 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

That's how is was at our house too. Our girls were pretty easy and our son was hard. It took much longer to get him potty trained. Our first two girls it took less than a week and only a couple more weeks to be out of diapers at night. Our son took forever to potty train but it didn't take very long for him to be out of diapers at night. Our 3rd dd potty trained quicly but is still in pullups at night (don't think she has a mature enough bladder to go all night every night).
Feeling your pain and sending sympathy

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Someone could make a fortune if it were possible to have such a thing as a "Potty training School" !   

We have a deal in our house......during "potty training lockdown", dh keeps me well-supplied in cheesecake. I eat cheesecake for breakfast, lunch and dinner..... .

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2008 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I have just started training ds-3 and dd-2.   

I was just saying to the big kids "I wonder how many souls we can get out of purgatory during the next few weeks?!"
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Suzanne, I'll have to remember the cheesecake thing next time we potty train!

Joann, there you go! Offer it up for the souls in purgatory, boy we could do a lot of good during potty training time!

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Ah yes, offering it up-- I should have done that. Instead, I drowned my sorrows in the M&M's that were supposed to be her "reward" for going each time and put her back in the pullups. Its just not her time.

Lets put it this way-- a couple of times, I asked her to go sit on the potty, and a minute later when I walked into the bathroom, she was doing just that . . . sitting fully clothed on a closed potty!

I'm so not looking forward to the public restroom thing, though. Maybe God is sparing me for the time being. Boy #1, no probs, but boy #2 likes to sit. Lucky for me, he doesn't like to go in a bathroom he's not familliar with.

I guess it pays to be a little idiosyncratic!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

And thank you for all your sympathies-- all I've ever heard is how easy it is to train girls!!!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Luke-3 went on the potty all day with no accidents! This is his second day in underwear!

Kimberly-2 wore her underwear-all ten pairs-throughout the day.(She wouldn't wear anything else.)   She sat on the potty naked for what seemed like hours (her choice) we keep finding puddles everywhere-the big kids said "this is worse than a puppy"! She didn't even care when she was wet, unless it got her bare feet wet-then she would scream "Yucky, yucky, yucky!" She may not be ready for potty training yet!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

momtimesfour
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 03 2008 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote momtimesfour

joann10 wrote:
I have just started training ds-3 and dd-2.   

I was just saying to the big kids "I wonder how many souls we can get out of purgatory during the next few weeks?!"

That made me burst out in giggles.

I am feeling everyone's pain, too. Wonder Boy is 3.5yo and we are having a terrible time of training. My 19mo daughter is more interested in the potty than he is!
Back to Top View momtimesfour's Profile Search for other posts by momtimesfour Visit momtimesfour's Homepage

Jeanna
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 03 2008 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanna

If it makes any of you feel any better my dd age 5 is still not trained (well she was trained for 2 weeks last summer because she wanted to take swimming lessons). Our Peditrician thinks she's just too stubborn. My ds age 3 and one of my twins are training themselves right now.

dd11; dd9; ds7; dd6; dd6; dd4; ds3

"There is only one tragedy in the end, not to have been a saint."
- Leon Bloy
Back to Top View Jeanna's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanna

Sparrow
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Sparrow

My first was very easy. I sat a potty in the living room and put her in panties and she was completely "trained" by 2. She hardly ever even had night time accidents after 3. She has a huge bladder, I think!

Dd2 is almost 3 and nowhere near potty trained. She's developmentally delayed, though. But it's still frustrating.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version