Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Do you wake a sleeping baby? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 27 2008 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ok - before you scream "NO!" let me explain...

I've never had a baby that sleeps so much and so well. For this I'm very grateful, but...she takes really, really, really long naps - 3-4 hours at a time. She started this about 2 to 3 weeks ago when she found her thumb.

When she gets sleepy, I lay her in bed, she sticks her thumb in and sleeps peacefully for a really long time. It makes me nervous. I check on her constantly! She's a chunky little thing, and the diapers are always nice and wet. But, she's only 3 months old, and I worry. I've never had one that sleeps this long.

Do any of you have sleepers like this? Should I be waking her? I get so nervous when she sleeps so long.

Thoughts?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My 7th would sleep like that, even longer. She was my first sleeper so it was disconcerting. I would also check constantly. She's two now and not such a great napper but still sleeps about twelve hours straight at night.

I didn't realize what a blessing all that sleeping was until this little guy came along. He has napped four times in his co-sleeper, for about a total of 30 minutes. He is five months! All the rest of that time (not including some hours here and there in the swing when he was colicky) he has been in someone's arms! What I would give for a 3 hr nap!

I am sure you'll keep checking, but I wouldn't wake her. Her little body probably needs that rest.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I'm guessing she needs the sleep. If all other indications are fine (and it sounds like they are!), I would let her sleep!

My oldest was a great napper - - my next 2 not so much. I wish I could get an hour out of Lydia, but I'm grateful for her 20 minute morning naps these days!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Jeanna
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 27 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanna

All of mine have slept 3-4 hours at a time by about 6 weeks. It was nerve racking at first, especially that first time they slept through the night but I guess I'm used to it now. When I had twins one of the pediatric Dr.'s we saw wanted me to wake them up to feed them because she didn't think they should go more than 2 or 3 hours without nursing. I didn't take her advice though.

dd11; dd9; ds7; dd6; dd6; dd4; ds3

"There is only one tragedy in the end, not to have been a saint."
- Leon Bloy
Back to Top View Jeanna's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanna

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

my ds was my good sleeper. My girls....not so much. If all else is fine, and it doesn't mean she will be awake all night long...I would let her sleep.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 27 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I would probably want to be sure she was gaining weight.. not just wet diapers.. but also look at how she's nursing around that.. is she nursing more often.. marathon nursing before and after.. etc.. but yeah as long as everything else is fine I'd let her be.

I LOVE when we get to the point of sleeping 3-4 hrs in a stretch at night.. I'm so much more rested with that one "long" stretch

And it could change.. I've had little ones that are very obvious about preparing for growth spurts.. where they eat like it's going out of style and then drop off in their eating and sleep all the time and then slowly balance out again.. usually in a larger size of clothing

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Count your blessings, twice maybe! I had 2 good sleepers out of 5 and I consider myself very lucky. As long as she is gaining weight appropriately and is not dehydrated, I think your good. My biggest baby was also my best sleeper and was incredibly efficient at nursing.

I got spoiled with my first because he slept through the night at 6 weeks and never was a night waker. That first morning after he slept through the night, I totally freaked out! I can still picture myself running like a maniac from my bedroom to his screaming, "Please dear God let him be alive!" I'm sure God got a really good laugh that morning

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

My two thumb suckers were good sleepers like that. My fourth and fifth babies...and I did the same thing, checked constantly. They both gained weight well and nursed well although they did wean earlier than my others who nursed longer for comfort...these guys have their thumbs for that. I wouldn't wake her as long as she continues to nurse well and gain weight.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

My second baby was like that. A chunky little thing that slept without waking for long periods. But she has now turned into a preschooler who *still* needs more sleep than anyone else in our family- sometimes up to 13 or 14 hours at night. I think her body probably just needs more sleep.

As long as she's gaining weight and eating well, I wouldn't worry too much. Just enjoy it- soon you'll be wishing she would sleep longer, I bet!!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

It depends. One of mine would sleep for long stretches and then wake up SOOO hungry that she would gulp, gulp, gulp and then spit up huge volumes. That one I woke every 3 hours to nurse and things went much better. Another slept 20 out of 24 hours until she was 6 months old. She was also an extremely efficient nurser. From the first nursing after she was born, she would empty me out in under 10 minutes, and then unlatch, burp, and go back to sleep. She generally woke herself after 3-4 hours to eat again, and weight gain, wet diapers, etc. were just fine.

I would think that if your little one wakes to eat regularly and is gaining weight well, then she probably has just established her own rhythm. In that case I would just go with her flow.

Peace,
Nancy

ETA: My sleepy one, interestingly also named Katherine, was also an accomplished thumb sucker.
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 28 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

hylabrook1 wrote:
My sleepy one, interestingly also named Katherine, was also an accomplished thumb sucker.

How funny!!

Thank you all so much! I suspected that sucking her thumb was providing for much of the comfort sucking she needed allowing her to sleep longer and quite peacefully. Thank you, Colleen for confirming my suspicions. She is also a very efficient nurser - emptying in about 10 minutes. She sits up, plays for about an hour and then takes a 3 hour nap. Not always...but alot. She's been gaining just fine and weighs in at 14 pounds at 3 months old. She's not petite.

I'm so grateful to hear all of you echo my impulse which was to leave her to take her naps. She must just need the extra sleep....still gonna check on her all the time though.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My now 13 year old son STILL sleeps a lot. Even now, he needs 12 hours a night to be a "peaceful" child. He was a tiny preemie (came home weighing 3 lbs, 9 oz) and everyone told me that I couldn't let him sleep so much, that he needed to eat more often. But when I woke him, he was too tired to eat efficiently and so needed to eat more often. Once I decided to list to my instints instead of "everybody" he began to gain weight and be happier.

Healthy babies won't starve themselves. She will wake when she needs to eat. Personally, I would enjoy the naps while they last!

LeeAnn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jennifer, just my own personal experience. My baby is fat and happy and loves to sleep at night. He eats more often during the day and sleeps all night...almost 12 hours. He's been adding more hours like this since he was little. I was so panicked at first, checking him constantly. I still check on him every time I'm awake to make sure he's still breathing. I follow his cues...usually he tanks up at night before bed.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

wow, reading all of these posts makes me realize that I have not had ONE good sleeper. Mine are all like your son, Molly, well,until they hit puberty!
now, has anyone woken up in alarm at 7 am or so and gone to check on a 14 or 12 year old who were sleeping soundly?? yep, my kids used to all go to sleep late/wake up often/not nap long/wake with the sun/earlier until around 12. years. old....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Ah, I love it when they start sleeping well...Mine have done it anywhere from 2 wks (yes, weeks!) to 4 mos. I so needed the sleep after 4 mos (with the twins) that I was just glad to let them sleep...

Actually, I would sleep thru whenever they would have normally woken up...I was that tired...with dd#1, I woke up in a panic the first time she did it. After that, I just learned to "chill" about it.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

saminier
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 28 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote saminier

My first baby was a super sleeper right from the start, 4+ hour naps during the day. I had a harder time building up a milk supply with him than with my little girl who never slept and nursed constantly. So, for me if I had it to do over again, I'd make more of an effort to wake up my son every 2-4 hours to eat during the day just to keep up my milk.
Back to Top View saminier's Profile Search for other posts by saminier

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version