Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Older women having babies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I was just reading the thread about discerning more children.   A lot of you mentioned having babies over 40 and I was wondering: how do you older women still having babies or hoping to keep yourselves in best condition for childbearing? Vitamins, food choices etc..

I just turned 43 and am probably watching my last "baby" grow into a preschooler (he's almost 3) but would like to be in optimal health just in case God has some kind of surprise for us.   And partly just as a discipline, because I wouldn't want to simply give up when the Church calls us to discern prayerfully and continually.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Willa,
I just have to share a couple of over 40s stories.
Yesterday I received news that a hs mum in town is expecting a baby, at 48 Their next one up is five and they just didn't think God was going to bless them with another.

But my favourite story is of my dear friend. She was only blessed with one child, who was nine years last year. She had become resigned that she was only going to be blessed with one. Whenever I became pregnant she always shared in my joy. Last year she became concerned that after her Christmas holidays she didn't seem well. Also she seemed to gain weight around the middle and it wouldn't go. At the time I was pregnant, 4 and a half months. My friend went to see a doctor. Lo and behold she was expecting a baby Our babies were born 6 days apart My friend was 46.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Willa,

I hadn't really given any thought to what I would do to prepare for pregnancy, but at 44 I had a very successfull pregnancy and home delivery with no complications. What I did as soon as I became pregnant could probably be good preparation for being pregnant at my age or yours. As always, check with your dr. or midwife before setting up a program of herbs and supplements. I know Folic Acid is an important pre-pregnancy supplement.

Walking or swimming as exersize
Red Rasberry leaf tea, which is a uterine toner
Vit. A, E, Bcomplex
Alfalfa builds blood volume (make sure you have no health problems that require thin blood)
and as soon as you're pregnant, extra protein powder for baby's brain

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Btw, Willa's birthday was yesterday!

Willa, I hope you had a terrific birthday! I'm sorry I wasn't more prompt in wishing you a special day!

May this year be the best yet!

Love,
Maria

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Oh this is a good thread! I just turned 32, but this will be my 11th pregnancy in 12 years, so I'm really feeling the wear and tear!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Off topic - happy birthday Willa!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Happy birthday Willa........

I forgot to mention I had a terrible problem after age 35 or so with the ligaments being stretched out. I guess there is nothing you can do to tone them. I used a belly binder and for the last 2 it was a pretty big elaborate one that held everything up. With #'s 5&6 (both over 9#'s) I really couldn't do much walking for the last couple of months. so.....no advice there.....I guess you can't really prepare for it. I am wondering though for the younger moms if maybe you use the belly binder faithfully early on, it will save your ligaments?

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

What a greedy bunch we are !

Maria was my roughest pregnancy and recovery. Inspite of that I'm hoping that she is ony my first '40's baby'. Long history of later in life babies and late menopause in my family.

I'm highly motivated to be as healthy and fit as posssible. A good plan even if I don't have more.

I'm going to start walking at soccer practice where here is a nice path. I'm forcing myself to drink more water and eat more fresh veggies.      I'm going to try a new high quality vitamin It's a 3 month supply, that's enough to find out if it makes any difference.

When my cycles return i may try this fertility tincture

Of course, we know that God will give us exactly the children He wants us to have and our part is just to do our best and be grateful.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Okay Bridget, you are amazing! You must really be sniffing those baby fumes.

I am already having such a hard time with this pregnancy that I can't imagine WANTING to go through this again. I am sure I will feel differently when I hold my little one, but.... don't ask me now!

The one thing that is really getting me down is the inability to care for my other children. Somehow it doesn't seem fair. I know I need to get better at asking for help, because I need it. We ventured out yesterday afternoon for the home inspection and my head was swimming and I could barely stand. By the time I got to my son's baseball game I was vomitting in the bushes! Lovely sight. I cannot grocery shop or buy my kids shoes or even find the fall clothes that are packed because we were supposed to have moved by now. I guess I am whining, but things are rough right now.

I will be 36 this month which would seem to assure me of at least one or two more after this. I continue to look to you ladies for inspiration, because that thought is not inspiring to me right now.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Oh, my dear, my morning sickness is rough on the family too. We missed some sporting events, ate a lot of sandwiches and cereal for dinner and didn't get much formal school work done.

You know what? It didn't hurt any of them. It does get me down when I'm in the middle of it too. But when your on the other side, you remember that it was really so temperary and everyone survived. The children even went up a notch in their ability to help care for the family.

When you hold that baby you remember that you would go through fire for him or her.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

teachingmyown wrote:
I am already having such a hard time with this pregnancy that I can't imagine WANTING to go through this again. I am sure I will feel differently when I hold my little one, but.... don't ask me now!

The one thing that is really getting me down is the inability to care for my other children. Somehow it doesn't seem fair. I know I need to get better at asking for help, because I need it. I guess I am whining, but things are rough right now.

I will be 36 this month which would seem to assure me of at least one or two more after this. I continue to look to you ladies for inspiration, because that thought is not inspiring to me right now.

Oh hon, you've got company with me! Repeat this mantra that I use a good deal lately: "Society is TOO busy and fast these day! It is doing my dc GOOD to have to stop everything for a time. People do not care for family like they used to! It is doing my dc GOOD to care for their mother & each other! What wonderfull dads and moms they will one day be!"

I worry they will not want families, much less big ones, because of these rougher times but have to hope these things are for their good as much as this new life.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Thanks Maria and everyone!
It was a great birthday though we had to wave goodbye to Chari's family on the first part of it --- that was sad

Molly, I will be praying for you.   Oh, those early days are hard, for sure. But it's sad when those days are over, too     I know that's probably not much help right now!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version