Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Natural sleep aid Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Schoolrmacres
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 22 2008 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Schoolrmacres

I am having the hardest time with sleep,for about 2 months now. I have tried staying up later thinking that would help, not napping during the day due to sleep deprivation and I still end up waking up at about 2:30-3:30 in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep. I will doze but not get a decent nights sleep.
I do not wnat to take a sleeping pill if I can help it, I am tempted to try a good drink.
Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Thank you,

http://achampionfamily.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View Schoolrmacres's Profile Search for other posts by Schoolrmacres Visit Schoolrmacres's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Here is a link to a thread where I asked about the same thing. It was good to go re-read the thread, I need to start trying some of these ideas.

A good night sleep

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 23 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

Hyland's Calms Forte is a homeopathic remedy available at a lot of mainstream stores. (Our local grocery and local Walmart carry it.) It's terrific. The trick is finding how many work for you - I usually take two an hour before bedtime when I'm having insomnia problems. The children can have it, too, and it's utterly non-addictive.

Strong chamomile tea after 8 pm works really well for me, too.

If I *really* can't sleep and it's 1 or 2 in the morning (I rise at 6 and *need* four to five hours), I'll take 2 tsps of clear liquid Benedryl and will usually fall asleep w/in 20 minutes. I won't use benedryl earlier in the evening because it seems (to me) to wear off, leaving me LESS sleepy later in the night.

I can't nap. I never, ever do unless I'm deathly ill! LOL I get addicted and it's all the worse the next day, so I avoid napping like the plague. :)

I go through periods where caffeine is a problem for me. Most of the time, I can have a few cups of strong tea per day with no problems from the caffeine. However, there are other times where two is too many, and it can take me days and days to get back on a good sleeping schedule. So, perhaps there could be a caffeine rebound or build up problem that you hadn't considered.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head - perhaps one of them will help? I'm praying for you! Insomnia is really stressful!!!

Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Melatonin could be another option.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 23 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

I had the same problem and it increased when I started going through menopause. Taking a calcium table and a magnesium tablet a few hours before going to bed has made a huge difference I fall asleep more easily and rarely wake.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 24 2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

Valerian is anatural herb, but I find sometimes I am sort of foggy and slow the next day.

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

krygerzoo
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 24 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote krygerzoo

We've used melatonin around here before. No side effects (other than a restful night!!) Your body produces melatonin naturally, so it isn't like you're going into a chemical induced sleep. With benedryl I ended up feeling 'drugged' even the next day.

Since you are having troubles staying asleep, I'd recommend the time release formula.

Oh, and praying the Rosary while laying in bed usually helps, too! I love that being the last words from my head.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version