Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: science magazines Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 17 2008 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

I fell in love with Science when I was 9 because of the Discover magazine series-the adult one. I remember seeing the front cover with the pictures of Saturn or Jupiter back from Voyager and I thought they were so beautiful that I sat down to read the entire magazine. After that I read them every month. I attribute my knowlege of science as a process from reading those for 10 years from the age of 10-20. I remember the changes in research and the assumptions about transplantation, nuclear fusion and AIDS research that scientists had in the 80's and 90's, which is a very useful thing for sifting through the science news garbage. But I am afraid that there are not science magazines that I would let my kids read now...does anyone have any ideas. I know that both my husband and I were reading science magazines for adults by the age of 10 and we really believe that our kids should have the opportunity to read more advanced science material if they wish, but I am afraid of the political content anymore....does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well... other than Discover and Kids Discover, we like National Geographic, Sky and Telescope, Dig, Your Big Backyard, Ranger Rick, Sierra, Audubon, Scientific American, Science, Odyssey, Popular science, Zoobooks, National Wildlife, Natural History, and Smithsonian.
We don't subscribe to all of them, but these are the ones I find the kids and myself getting the most out of when we get them.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

And how are they? I can remember Discover having some pretty racy topics even back in the 80's, like the science of s-x. And the last one I saw was global warming irritating!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I have a feeling our opinions would differ on several topics, but here are my thoughts, if you are trying to avoid controversial stuff.
The most innocuous ones would probably be Smithsonian and Natural History. And Sky and Telescope.But I can't guarantee there won't be something in them related to global warming, evolution, big bang, or other controversial topics. These are all open for discussion our household,and I don't have issues with my kids reading about them, so my "radar" may not be picking up some of it like others may.
For kids specifically, Dig is good and I think Odyssey, Zoobooks,k big Backyard, and Ranger Rick would probably be free of anything like that. Maybe.I bet there is pro-conservation stuff though. Endangered species protection and the like.
Sierra and Audubon are definitely political in that they are pro-conservation.
National Geographic is of course notorious for the naked native pics. Also has a strong evolutionary mindset.
Scientific American and Science are pretty mainstream, so you will find global warming stuff there, as well as evolution and conservation issues. And occasionally some adult-ish content as well.
Popular science is pretty hit-or-miss and we don't get it that often. Only when something in particular catches our eyes. So I can't really give an "overall" review of that one.
Hope that helps some!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Holly,

Most libraries carry magazines so you might check them out 1st. We like Ranger Rick - the photos are incredible!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I think we are a lot like Theresa and her gang when it comes to how we think about science over here. We have subscribed to or checked out all of those mags too she listed. There is one more though that my dh loves (he is a phD chemist/physicist type) that comes out every other week. It is written for adults, but I have found my almost 13 yold dd and 11 yold ds thumbing through it and even better...understanding it

It's Science News. It's really almost like reading a newspaper (but in magazine format) about the latest science news in the last 2 weeks. So all sorts of topics are covered! And as Theresa said, my censor is probably different from yours, but I still would recommend a look at it.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

BrendaPeter wrote:
Holly,

Most libraries carry magazines so you might check them out 1st. We like Ranger Rick - the photos are incredible!

Excellent idea!

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

Thanks. It has been a few days since I checked this site. I am not so concerned with evolution et al, but I can really definitely remember reading when I was 12 or so, the entire study of s-x, in graphic detail...to be quite honest I think that I learned more from Discover than any other source prior to college. I have National Geographics and the pictures don't bother me in general, but I would really rather not have my kids depressed because they read about how we are destroying the planet. I would rather have them depressed about the fact that we are OH-creating hybrids...which is another topic, I am so afraid is going to show up in any magazine that I pick up....

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2008 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Jamberry77

Dear Holly,

KackyK recommended Science News to us a few months ago. We have been subscribers for four months.

What I like about it:
short articles,
clear illustrations,
written so I can understand (had Sci. Am. one year and couldn't understand it),
Topics are specific to one issue so that makes it easier to read and understand

Once I glued two pages together, b/c the article was on preventing teens from predators on the computer (and my ten year old didn't need to know about that just then).

The last issue had an advertisement that I deemed inappropriate. I emailed the editor immediately. Someone replied to me within hours that this was a mistake on their part, they realized it was a bad idea after they printed it, and will never do it again (but the next issue would have it b/c they had already printed it.) I'm so glad as I like this magazine.

I wish the car magazines would cease carrying their off-color advertisements.

On a side note, we have enjoyed Military History, and also Air & Space.

I agree with the others about Nat. Geo. I couldn't stomach the issue with the ape-like drawing on front with the words "First Little Girl" on it. I'll never subscribe again. Too bad b/c some articles were good, but every month something irritated me and had to be ripped out.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

We grab up the National Geographics when the library discards a bunch at one time. Then I can just pick through which ones look decent.

Glad to hear you have liked the Science News, Kelly. I don't think we went through the last issue, I think dh snatched it up, read it and discarded before anyone else saw it. I'll have to look for what ad you are talking about in the next issue, which should be probably be here soon

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 21 2008 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Jamberry77 wrote:

The last issue had an advertisement that I deemed inappropriate.   

We got a free subscription to Popular Science, and actually canceled it because of the ads. Ugh!

I love Natural History (membership perk with AMNH), but the politics does get to me. Still, it's worth it for the Astronomy pages, descriptive articles (usually), and the photos! Before his death, I loved reading Steven Jay Gould's column. Whatever your thoughts on evolution, his writing was always thought-provoking. His replacement, Jared Diamond, is not as interesting.

In my senior year of college, my adviser had a cover article--got me hooked, and I have subscribed ever since.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version