Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Pennsylvania homeschooling? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 15 2008 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

My dh and I are contemplating a move to PA...

...possibly to be closer to some family just south of State College. We are concerned about the PA homeschooling laws and finding a good faithful Catholic parish. We long for a few acres and some privacy and a place where it gets dark at night...lol

We aren't real sure of the place, but we know that a move is in our future...

what do you think about PA?

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Donna,

This is my first year of reporting. It is doable. A lot will depend on your district. I'll pm you with more information.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Donna Marie,
I hope you guys can do it! I know you've been wanting to get out of your neighborhood for so long.

State College is where we hope to end up. I have heard great things about it being family-friendly. We could have what we have here, a nice house and 5 acres for much less and be 5 minutes from work and church! Now dh is 90 minutes (at least) from work and we are 30 minutes from church. When I was researching parishes up there, I was really impressed with at least one parish with perpetual adoration and lots of good things going on.

I asked your question about a year ago. I think the thread was entitled "State College" if you want to search and see what answers I got. In short, I think everyone said it isn't that hard. For me, coming from a state easy to homeschool in, I worry about it too.

Good luck!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

Check out http://www.phen.org for the best basic info on the PA law. It is very do-able. Feel free to email me privately if there's anything I can do to help.
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

How are things handled if you have a child or 2 who has some learning issues and does not perform at grade level? Does something like this pose a problem?

Molly...maybe we will be close enough to each other to finally meet! I would *love* that! We were actually looking at McVeytown which is south of there by almost an hour. My bil's family goes waaaay back in that area and he and my sister moved back there when they got married.   (They do go into State College for shopping.) They have been after us to join them for quite some time. When we found out how much more we could have vs what we spend here....well...let's just say that it is very inviting. I love the fact that just over the mountain are the amish. My bil's family is well respected in the area so at least we know people who know about the area and its people...better than going there blind!

I sure do hate to give up the freedom of homeschooling free and clear here in NJ. sigh!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc +one more due 10/08!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 15 2008 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

teachingmyown wrote:
I asked your question about a year ago. I think the thread was entitled "State College" if you want to search and see what answers I got.

Here's the link to State College topic. Here's the link to PHEN. Because of the way the law is set up, it truly comes down to the particular school district where you live. Your best bet is to talk to homeschoolers who live in the district you are interested in living and see how the law is applied.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

Angie Mc wrote:
[QUOTE=teachingmyown] Because of the way the law is set up, it truly comes down to the particular school district where you live.

Actually, the districts can not ask more than the law requires. While some districts cause more trouble, legally they can not require anything beyond the law.

As to special needs or grade level, please check on the PHEN site.

Truly, all you must do is submit a notarized affidavit, some very generic "objectives", and a Medical Exemption Form. Make copies of all and send return-receipt-requested to your local school district. I will link to each of these at the end of the email.

Then, through out the year keep a couple of samples of work and brochures from outings and such, also keep a running log (by title only) of all the books you read for learning. Some parents also include a little chart with the numbers 1 - 180 written on and each number crossed off. This is not necessary, as the affidavit states that you will do 180 days, but many parents do it anyway. You then take the portfolio of a FEW samples, the 180 day chart, and the list of books to an evaluator. She he will chat with your child, look at your stuff, and give you a letter. You turn all these things (portfolio and letter) into your local district superintendent in June. Be sure to include your name, address and phone number on the portfolio - so they can alert you to pick it up.   If your child is (by YOUR definition) in 3rd, 5th, or 8th grades - you should include the results of a standardized test such as the one from Seton.

The trick is to find an evaluator who agrees with your homeschooling philosophy. Some are very picky and some are very lax. We use Gloria Molek - who also does distance evaluations. She's an unschooler to the max, and has always been very agreeable. Her eldest daughter runs the PHEN website and her youngest is the lovely singer Caithasaigh . Both were unschooled.

Again, if there's anything I can do to help - feel free to PM or email me. We've been "reporting" for 10 years and have lived in three different school districts. I find the fear of the PA law and the misconceptions are far worse than the *actual* law is.

So, don't worry! :) :)

Affidavit

Sample Objectives

Medical Exemption

While I write my own objectives, the above are THE affidavit and THE Med Ex forms I have used for years and years.

Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version