Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Sirius satellite radio? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2008 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

Despite the fact that we just found out that the orthodontist wants to start our Annie (age 10) with braces ($$$), I'm longing to get Sirius radio. We get truly wretched radio reception in our house. I can't even get NPR for music or Car Talk. I can get stations from Kansas City, 2 hours east of us, in the car in the driveway but not in the house.

Greg and Lisa Popcak are starting a terrific-sounding show on Sirius on weeknights at 9-11 pm central time, and I'd love to hear it.

Any recommendations about a particular radio model, cautions, etc?

Thanks,
Mary Alice in Kansas
Back to Top View wamegomom's Profile Search for other posts by wamegomom

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

Two years ago I was all set to get Sirius Radio for my house--same reasons as you--but I found that I needed an antennae leading from the radio to outside, and in my case that pretty much destroyed the purpose of having it. I'm never still for long, and I needed something portable.

Now I have a Zune mp3 player, and I can listen to Catholic podcasts on-the-go, so I don't feel too deprived.

Bottom line: if portability is an issue for you, you might want to see if that's even an option.
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Sirius stiletto is their pocket version, and can be bought for about $70 at Radio Shack with 3 months of service. This is what we have. It is an MP3 player as well, and can be plugged into either the computer or an "I-Home" type device to broadcast the sound. My car has a plug in for an MP3 device also, as do many newer cars.

Make sure you enable parental blocks on their website, as many channels are not fit for children (or adults really )

LeeAnn

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

We have Sirius and adore it! Lifetime members, for years and years now. I can't really help regarding what model as we have the marinized water-resistant style for the boat. Super nice unit with CD player/MP3/local radio. I do have to say that the selection of stations is much better (IMO) on Sirius than on XM, we have XM at work and the kitchen help went out and bought their own Sirius Radio for the kitchen instead of listening to the crummy stuff available on XM in the building!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 15 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Jennifer and I have all the same gadgets...must be the sailing thing (if only I had a boat!! ). Ditto what she said.

Also, since we do lots of loooong trips, Sirius is the best car radio device for late night EWTN on the road, or classical to calm the nerves. While we have a great classical station here in NY, the signal fades before the typical symphony is finished, if I am traveling outside the city. Advantage Sirius!

While on our road trip, our second rental (Toyota) has a jack for the Sirius. When in our own beloved Pilot, I use a tape player jack...not the best idea, since it does were on the tape mechanism. We also have a Belkin radio device, but if you are traveling the station has to be reset from time to time to avoid interference.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version