Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Back carry Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2008 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

For those of you who wear your baby on your back, did you find it took a while to get used to, for you and baby?

I bought a Kozy carrier (mei tai type of carrier), really wanting to wear Seth on my back. He really hates it and I find that it hurts my back. I don't want to give up right away. He doesn't like me to put him down and there are so many things I can't do with him in front.

Any suggestions or encouragement?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 12 2008 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

I just got my Kozy last week. I am really enjoying it. I find it is more comfortable than the ring sling or enfantino that I had used previously. But have used it twice. I put my 15 month old on my back for the library and the grocery store. He gets a little restless and needs distraction after awhile, but seems to enjoy it for the most part. I also used it a short time for my 33 month old on my side and he seemed to like this snuggling.
If it is hurting your back, you may want to try to get it a bit tighter. Also, the Kozy website is very helpful and if you email her she will reply quickly and with good info. Hope that helps.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

How is it hurting your back? Which part hurts?

Are you moving around a lot when you have him back there?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2008 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My lower back hurts. Also, it is really pulling on my shoulders but I think that will get better. I only had him on for about ten minutes, and that was just walking around trying to get used to it. He didn't like it either.

I don't feel like I can get him tight enough with the thick straps. Even on front, he seems to be leaning away from me. I pull the straps as tightly as I can when I put him in, but they seem to slip.

I just emailed Kelley asking her for help. Does she use the same material for the straps for all the carriers?

Now I am wondering if I would like the Ergo better with buckles. Ugh. If I could just convince him how fun it is to sit in his Bumbo and play with his sisters in his face!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Not sure what size you are or if you have extra long straps, but one way I have found to keep things tight in a back carry is to twist the shoulder straps instead of just crossing them in the back. (This means you are bringing the same side back to the front instead of to the opposite side). This creates a small section a few inches long that is secure right under baby's bum (instead of a simple cross that can shift making things loosen more).

Generally, it also requires that things be pretty tight for there to be enough strap to accomplish this; so, it ensures a tight hold in more ways than one.

On a front carry, again, I make sure the knot is right under baby's bum for support. You can even use the first tie to kind of "ratchet" the baby closer to you and find a little extra slack to take in. If that doesn't work, you can tie once, and then use your hands to pull at their bottom to find the slack. Its hard at first to get that in simply tossing the straps over your shoulders.

You might also try tying the apron (bottom) straps a bit higher and good and snug to make sure the baby isn't creeping down. Unless you have something like an Ergo where the waist band is designed specifically to distribute the weight comfortable to your hips, the higher and closer in you can comfortably have the baby (you don't want to choke, but I'm thinking their head is always near my collar bone), the more it becomes a part of your center of gravity instead of pulling off of you causing the aching back.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Roma
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 13 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Roma

that was why i gave my me tai to my sister. the straps never stayed tight. you know i love my ergo
Back to Top View Roma's Profile Search for other posts by Roma

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2008 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Lindsay gave you great advice. Just want to affirm that "high and tight" is the only way with any type of carrier.

Also, what have you been doing the two times you've had him in the carrier? Younger babies usually like a lot of motion. Try putting him in, getting him really tight, and immediately walk around the house for a few minutes to settle him in. Or bounce rhythmically and slowly while he's in the carrier--great exercise, though months and months of that with my dd didn't do much for me!

Ergos do have a smaller learning curve but Kozys are much cuter and simpler. I hope you can make it work for you!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version