Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: let the puking begin! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

We're hoping to welcome baby #8 in May! I've only lost 5 lbs so far and the Zofran is helping, but I'm not sure what in the world to do with my nursing 15 months old.

He has always nursed 4 - 6 times at night. Most of the time it's a permanent attachment. There is NO comforting him unless it's nursing. Even if I'm not hmoe he will scream with daddy for HOURS, even throws up he cries so much. It really hurts my stomach and back to nurse him though and I worry about m/c-ing this baby. Plus I'm just completely exhausted. And I don't like taking the Zofran while nursing. It's safe for baby, but there's no data on breastmilk.

Does anyone have any tips that might help me out here?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Martha wrote:
And I don't like taking the Zofran while nursing. It's safe for baby, but there's no data on breastmilk.

Does anyone have any tips that might help me out here?

For Zofran, you are correct that there isn't much antecdotal or any human research but Dr. Hale (Medications and Mother's Milk author - breastfeeding and medications expert) feels that it is probably quite safe for lactating mothers (see Hale comment). Based on properties like half life, peak concentrtion, molecular weight, protein binding, oral availabiltiy, etc. it is listed in the book as L2 on the lactation risk category (L2-Drug which has been studied in limited number of breastfeeding women without increase in adverse effect in the infant. And/or, the evidence of demonstrated risk which is likely to follow use of this medication in breastfeeding woman is remote.) That is a pretty safe rating. Hope that eases your mind about the medication issue. As far as the discomfort and exhaustion of nursing a toddler there was another thread where this was being addressed. I'll check later and post when I have more than a minute. My prayers for you, your toddler, and new baby.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hi Martha, God Bless you and your new little treasure. What about a pacifier for your little toddler?? I've never been successful at getting anyone but my first take one, and she loved it so much we finally had to convince her to throw it away at age 4 . Maybe it would get you part way through the night at least?? I can't speak to the Zofran, hope someone else can help here. Wishing you less nausea Take care.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Hi Martha,
Well, if nothing else I can commiserate, being in the same boat that you are in.

I am about 8 weeks pregnant and sicker than I have ever been with the previous 6. I have a two year old who is still a voracious nurser. It isn't bothering me too much except that I am so tired I wish she would sleep.

When I was pregnant with the two year old, my then toddler was just a year. For some reason my milk dried up, although I nursed about halfway through my others pregnancies. The poor thing was a mess, so I started offering her a bottle of milk while she was nursing. AT first she wanted nothing to do with it, but as it became clear to her that the well had run dry, she turned to the bottle. I kept holding her like I was nursing her for a few weeks and then she detached totally to the bottle.

I don't know if you actually want to wean him or just get him to cut back, but I know there are things you can take to cut back the milk supply, I can't remember what off the top of my head or if you can do it while pregnant. (Tammy are you out there?)

I will see if I can find that info if you are interensted

Good luck. Offer it up for all the pregnant women displaced by Katrina who don't have a comfortable home to be miserable in. That is what helps me!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Oh, Oh, Oh, I know your suffering! I took Zofran while nursing and PG. I guess I just risked the breastfeeding part. Neither Zofran nor Reglan worked for me. Zofran can make you extremely constipated. Can you nurse lying down? I really start to slowly cut back by letting them nurse for a couple minuted/seconds and then try to distract with something else. As our milk supply lessens during the PG the more sensitive and annoyed we are. They usually are done by the end of the PG (doesn't help much in the 1st trimester). Sometime the nursing kept them close by so I didn't have to get up and see what they were into. Sometimes I realized that they were hungry and because I was so, so sick I wasn't feeding them enought because the kitchen was the worst place to be. If Zofran helps, keep it up, and I doubt the toddler gets enough to do anything. You'll provide enough for the developing baby. I always ignore the eat healthy bit in the 1st trimester. If I was Cocoa Krispies, I'm eating them because that may be all I can stand. Hang in there. My first trimesters were so bad that when I saw the PG test with this last darling (8wks now)I cried out of fear that I wouldn't be able to go through this a sixth time. God bless you. Oh, I know your suffering.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Martha,Molly and Sarah.......
You are all in my prayers.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

NOTHING consoles him at night. We (or daddy) will get up with a sippy cup, even offer some cereal or something in the rocker. He refues. Just screams non stop for hours and cries himself throwing up sick.

I'd prefer to just wean him off completely, but would take what I can get at this point.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Poor little guy! I think sometimes when they know that we are stressed and are trying to get them to let go a little, they hold on even tighter! And it so hard to be compassionate when you are ill.

Does he sleep with you? Perhaps you could nurse him to sleep in another bed, maybe with one of the oldest kids and then sneak away. My toddlers have always slept better without me next to them. Sometimes I leave Kateri in bed with my husband and I leave. She is just now sleeping longer stretches in the toddler bed that is in our room . If he is in his own bed, this obviously won't work.

Sarah, I know what you mean about dreading the first trimester. It wasn't but a few days after I found out that I am pregnant that I started feeling ill and wondering "What was I thinking?"! People are congratulating me and I find myself saying, "yeah, congratulate in a couple of months". LOL!

Martha, I will try to come up with some other ideas for you. This too shall pass and you will all come out on the other side unscathed.

If your little guy were a little older I would suggest Veggie Tales with Daddy. When my fourth child was born, my two year old son was still nursing. I can handle a lot for my kids but I could not handle tandem nursing. So he and Daddy started camping out on the couch every evening when all was quiet and watching Veggie Tales. That is how he weaned. It was really beautiful. Quite a bonding experience for the guys!

You are in my prayers. You, too, Sarah.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Martha,

I have no advice for you - I'm sorry! But I will pray!

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Laura

Martha,
No advice as I don't know about Zofran, but a hearty Congratulations!
We are praying daily for a lady (JoAnne) from our church who has the morning sickness all day long and usually needs bed rest almost all of her pregnancy. We will add you, Molly,Lissa, and Sarah to our prayers!

wife to Ken and mom to 8 blessings with #9 due July 26,2009
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2005 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Hi Martha and Mary..I mean Molly,

I have used sage tea to reduce milk supply...cabbage leaves help, too. I would offer the little guy some Rescue Remedy or herbal Chamomile to help him relax. It is so difficult when mom is the only comfort the dc wants . God Bless you Martha! I pray you find the best way to take care of your needs so that you can take care of the family's.

Has anyone ever taken Milk Thistle for morning sickness? It works for me.

I remember placing a pillow between my ds and me after he fell asleep so he wouldn't smell or be touching me and it seemed to help him not keep latching on all night. (one child - one situation)

Martha I feel for you having a dc that cries and vomits. My dd used to do this.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Martha,

With two of my pregnancies ( two dc close together in age) I found it so much more peaceful to keep on breastfeeding the toddler/baby while expectant myself. I had to eat well ( gingernut biscuits help my morning sickness, as did eating frequently).

I gradually introduced a bottle or sippy cup for some of the feeds but the peace that reigned was well worth the nursing while expecting. And it gave the baby/toddler time to still be little, even though a new one was on the way.

I used the feeding time as an eating time and resting time for me and often listened to books on tape or watched a video at the same time, with all the other dc.

Multi tasking!

Feeding and snuggling in our bed at night was easier than a crying baby for me - and when the new babe came, the toddler graduated to a mattress on the floor close to mum.

Also, have you had your toddler checked for allergies?

I will say a prayer for you. God *does work these things out. I know you know this but wanted to reassure you. HTH!

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote esperanza

NO SAGE TEA while pregnant

Oh so sorry I rec. sage tea...my brain has been loopy.
I awoke this morning and put the two together...sorry

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2005 at 1:40am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I don't know if I should post, but I do know we have had frequent m/c and as you expressed concern about that, I did want to pass on that I was told not to wean in the 1st trimester because it might create wide hormone swings. I was not severly sick to my stomach so I didn't have that concern and that certainly may change the balance for you.

Some things I did to help ease the strain on me emotionally was to sleep in, nurse in bed, offer sippy cup first but promise to nurse as soon as had some of sippy cup, cuddle a lot, read books. Sometimes, I just couldn't deal with it and would say mommy needed a little break, and ask child to take sippy cup for a little and then I would nurse again. I was always more sick, if I had less rest, so lots of rest was very important - also I usually dealt with fear (because of miscarriages and fear of miscarriages) in the first trimester and when I had more fear, I had more difficulty nursing. It was always a real tough balancing act between my emotional and tenderness issues and the child's needs. You have the added concern with severe nausea. We will pray for you to find the right solution for all 3 of you.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version