Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Favorite Mother's Day Memory/Idea Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I am looking for a creative way to celebrate Mother's Day with my MIL this year and am open to suggestions. Really I just want to hear all of those sweet stories that make you go "Awwwwwwwww!" Does anybody have a favorite Mother's Day story to share either your own celebration or one from your childhood? Any creative gift ideas or special way to celebrate the day? My creative juices are at a serious low right now and I need to get them pumping!!! Thanks!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Matilda wrote:
My creative juices are at a serious low right now and I need to get them pumping!!! Thanks!

Oh my, Matilda! If yours are at a low right now, I can't imagine the possibilities when they are on full force! You've been impressing me lately with all your creations, particularly the dragon cake!

I don't have a clue what to do for my mil either, and we're driving up there to see her!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Forces of construction (not destruction) have drained me dry (not to mention the stomach bug I am recovering from this weekend). I was hoping that by talking about our favorite memories, it might spark an idea.

For me, it was the first time I gave my mom a corsage. My dad always picked one up for her when we were growing up. By the time I was married, my parents had divorced so it was up to me to arrange for one on my own. My mother has always mourned the loss of the three children that she miscarried very late in pregnancy (6 months) and was always very grateful for the two (me and my brother) she did carry to term. She had always given her mother a 7 rose corsage; one for each of her 7 children. When my mom went to pick up Grandma's corsage that year, the florist gave her one from me; a five rose corsage (2 pink and 3 white). She was incredibly touched that I had remembered the children that she carried in her heart.

Waltzing Matilda

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I called my mil this morning and asked her if there was a project she wanted done around the house that dh and the boys could complete for her this week...it turns out she wanted to paint something or other and they are on the job...tomorrow, I am going to let the boys make signs that say "We love you Granny/GranGran/Aunt Marcie..." then take a balck and white phots of the five of them holding the sign and have them printed in 8 X 10s. Then I am going to have them cut magazine text in the letters that spell their names and decoupage plain wood frames with them.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

When mom gets a corsage, it means so much to her. I remember seeing all the moms in church wearing one, and it wasn't until I was older that I started buying one. It was little, but it meant so much.

A few Mothers Days I've assembled a brag book or memory album for both grandmothers, and also gave a picture frame with the latest photo of the children. Since I'm terrible about getting pictures printed and passed out, this was greatly appreciated. I've given small photo albums with pages left empty, so when I *DO* send pictures, they can be popped into the album and all in the same place.

One year I turned the tables and gave my mil a "Grandmother Remembers" book. I asked her if she would fill it up for us so we could share some of her memories. I got it used, and it has places for her to insert pictures, stories of how she met her husband, etc. My mil is a widow, so it kept her busy and helped her sort through the family photos, too.

It gets me choked up when I read through it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I forgot to add my reality this year is a visit to my MIL in PA. We'll be doing her spring projects around the house, buy hanging flower baskets for her house, and perhaps a corsage this year.

I didn't get the photos in time, although I might be able to try before Thursday. Gotta get the garden in, though.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Matilda that's a beautiful story! I vaguely remember that there's a significance to the colors of a mother's day corsage?? Certain colors indicate that your mother is alive?? Or something like that?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan wrote:
Matilda that's a beautiful story! I vaguely remember that there's a significance to the colors of a mother's day corsage?? Certain colors indicate that your mother is alive?? Or something like that?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I certainly hope she's alive since I'm pinning a corsage to her! Yikes!

LOL

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Oh, I needed that laugh today, Jenn!

I did find this on a Yahoo answers page that confirms what Maryan said:

Red corsage if the recepients mother is alive.
White corsage if the recepients mother is deceased.
Yellow corsage if the recepient has a deceased child.

They referenced the Florists Assoc. of America but I couldn't find the original source. I do know that my mother always chose yellow roses for her mom because they were her favorite. I chose white for the children my mom had lost to represent their pure souls and pink for my brother and I because I so desperately wanted him to be a girl when he was born. This was my chance to make him one!

Waltzing Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Matilda wrote:

Oh, I needed that laugh today, Jenn!

I did find this on a Yahoo answers page that confirms what Maryan said:

Red corsage if the recepients mother is alive.
White corsage if the recepients mother is deceased.
Yellow corsage if the recepient has a deceased child.

Interesting. I was looking at the Language of Flowers and coming up with a dead end.

So what does pink mean, as it's the most popular corsage I've seen?

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

I have a funny memory from when I was a kid.

One year we decided to head out to Burke Lake and somewhat on a whim, we rented a rowboat. My dad went out with some kids and came back. Then I went out with my mom and one of my siblings, don't remember which. We row out, though not very far at all. We couldn't have been more than 100 yards from the boat launch. Suddenly we can see bad weather coming. Which causes my mother to FREAK OUT. She got hysterical because she was POSITIVE we were about to be struck by lightning. I had managed to row us out there, but with her carrying on I could not pull myself together to row us back. Imagine some kids and a screaming woman going in little circles. They had to send a park ranger in another boat out to "rescue" us.

And an interesting thing...

My father and I, though we never consult each other, tend to give my mother similar gifts/themes every year. Just a few years ago I got her a trio of vases, same shape different colors and my father gave her a trio of vases, different shapes, same color.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

JennGM wrote:
I certainly hope she's alive since I'm pinning a corsage to her! Yikes!

This has me laughing out loud.......thanks!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version