Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Ear ache Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2008 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Last night my 3 yo was tugging on his ear and asking "what?" several times to each question that we asked him. Over night, he was crying several times in pain. Right now he's sleeping...

I suspect he has an ear infection? It's our first.

Do you always need to go to the doctor's for an ear infection? Is there anything else to do first?

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Maryan, BREASTMILK!! Seriously, put a few drops of it in each ear a couple of times a day. For the pain you can wrap a heating pad or hot water bottle in a towel or blanket and have him lay on it. Also, if you have grapefruit seed extract, a few drops in water and swab this gently in the ear will heal it up quickly. Hope he feels better soon. Poor little guy.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I have plenty of the one!   I don't have the other. I'll see if my mil can pick it up! Thanks Lisa!

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I have used warmed olive oil to sooth an earache before. Warm it just above body temperature...not too hot because the ear is very sensitive. My mom use to warm it on a spoon over a candle and test it on her wrist before dropping it into the ear and plugging it up with a cotton ball. Hope he is feeling better.

The only time we called the pedi about an ear infection was when my son woke up screaming and couldn't get back to sleep. He prescribed some wonderful drops that numbed his ear until we could get in to see him. Hope this some of this helps!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 05 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Add some garlic to the olive oil. He'll smell like a salad but the garlic is antiviral and antibacterial.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

ditto the breastmilk and garlic/olive oil combo.
we have not had antibiotics due to ear infection ever.
praying he will feel better!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I would take him in to be checked. Several friends had little ones with wax built up which led to ear pain. The wax was lodged deep in their ears so you couldn't see it.

Also,my ds had ear infection in Feb. which the dr. confirmed,but we didn't fill the prescription.

Elevating the head while sleeping helps too!

Hope he feels much better soon!!! \

Mb

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I have always taken my kids in, and we have have MANY ear infections, and some of them have been so bad that I feel like a terrible mom when they tell me how bad it is. My neice went a very long time without treating an ear infection, and it did some damage to her hearing.

The doctor can also give you a medicated drop for the ears, which helps a lot in those nighttime crying spells, just like Matilda said. I bring that on trips with me, just in case. I always heard to give them an anti-inflammatory pain reliever and even a decongestant to help.

I hope he feels better soon!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Fuzzy is right! An severe ear infection left untreated for too long can cause hearing damage and so they should be taken seriously. I don't see the harm in letting the body try to fight off the infection itself (since our bodies were designed to do just that) but an ear ache that is not relieved by home remedies or goes on with such severity for more than a couple of days would be reason to call the doc in my mind.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

All great advice!! Thank you! Since it just presented last night, we'll try all the home remedies first, but if he doesn't improve - I'll make an appointment for tomorrow.

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2008 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

One more thing to try...gently massage in front of his ear, down the jawline and behind the ear to the neck. There is a whole series of massages to do in order to relieve upper respiratory infections. It's too difficult to explain using just words.

A physician in Texas, Dr. Block, has developed massage series and has created a DVD that shows the technique. It is entitled, "Healing Upper Respiratory Infections without Antibiotics." You can get it at blockcenter.com. My first 3 children had many ear infections and two of them had tubes. The next two have had a few, but after doing the massage and a few of the suggestions above, (we use tea tree oil and olive oil warmed and dropped into the ear), they have not had to use antibiotics.

This DVD is wonderful. It's simple and I think you can get a link to the same massage technique to download as PDF file. My DVD has been passed around quite a bit and used with great success.

I'll be praying for a speedy recovery. I have so much more sympathy for ear infections after having one a couple of years ago. They are very painful!

God Bless,
DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Maryan, how's L?

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanksfully, he hasn't cried at all since that first night, I did the oil/garlic, breastmilk and massaging stuff. Later I cleaned out his ear with a cottonball because quite a bit of waxy stuff came out.

For the past two days if I press on it, he says Stop... but doesn't seem to be in pain. (He also says Stop when I touch places that I KNOW is not painful).

He does seem fine - but I'm still watching him to make sure Fuzzy. Thanks for checking on us!!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version