Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: We're in OK!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2008 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, we finally got here April 1st, the internet got hooked up late Friday, and I'm just now getting on here to let you all know we are safe and sound...

The house is wonderful. But of course there are a gazillion things to do when you move...right now, DH has just started back to work, the garden is tilled (for the first time--it will be done for the second time probably next week), and we have chickens ordered to be here mid-May (we'd have liked them here sooner, but such is life).

The dc are settling in. I've contacted the local hsing group, and we'll be going to their end of the year hsing party (lucky we made it in time for that). There are apparently there are a good number of hsers here in my town/area. The local parishes are a little...lacking...but we'll deal. One is definitely better than the other, so we'll be going there...but its not ideal.

We're taking our summer vacation now, as far as the hsing goes, what with moving and unpacking and settling in. And, more upheaval to continue next month--one of my SILs (I have 9) is going to be moving in with us, as her DH has decided he wants a divorce. There are no dc, and she has nothing and nowhere to go...she's DH's "closest" sister, and we have actually thought for some time that we would be called on at some point to do something like this...and it appears it is sooner rather than later...

So the room we had intended to be our schoolroom will become her space (its a more than 300sq ft 'sunroom' on the back of the house), and we'll move the schooling to the formal living room...prayers for all of us would be much appreciated. She's devastated, of course, and has always been a bit more emotionally "fragile"...low self-esteem and what not. Please pray that we can lead her back to the Church...she married outside of the Church, and she is oldest dd's godmother...so it would be wonderful to have her lean on Christ, iykwim...she could certainly use the graces from the sacraments....

Anyway, prayers, please, for my SIL and the family, and thank you all for your prayers as we made our move out west...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 23 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Welcome to OK!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

HI!
hope to share coffee with you some day!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Oh, Rachel, lots of prayers for all of you, and especially for your SIL to come back to the Church.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 23 2008 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Hey Rachel -

I just *got* your subject line. I was reading it as "we're in okay (as in, just fine)", which it sounds like you are. You meant, "we're in Oklahoma." (duh...)

Good to hear from you; glad all is going well (or OK).

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Funny! I was just thinking of you and wondering if you were getting settled alright. Glad to hear it's going well. Enjoy your new home!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 23 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Rachel - what an answer to prayers and what a long road this has been for your family! I'm so thrilled you guys are there. Sending prayers for your SIL.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I'm so glad to be here. I started painting the dining room a pretty shade of yellow (Laura Ashley Cowslip 2), got the trim done, and came to a complete halt. I've been trying to mow for two days, and haven't gotten much done, as our riding mower isn't working (a short in the wiring somewhere--and the exact schematics aren't online, just general ones), and the push mower--which worked a little bit yesterday and today--has given up a bit of the ghost. I figure "comatose" is a good word. Not dead, but not all "here", either. Can't use it, anyway, til DH gets a chance to do something with it and fix what is wrong--whatever *that* is. Of course, I made sure we got the area around my close line done, and a bit of the front. But we have a whopping two acres to mow, and nothing but a reel mower to do it with....ugh. And its thick grass, too. I may actually see about paying someone to come out, just cause I have got to get it done!!! I worry about the dc getting bit by something slithering thru the grass (crazy Easterner talking there) and just don't like seeing a waving see of green and dandelion seed heads in the yard. A little flat mowed surface would be nice...lol.

DH ordered some more animals today--10 more hens--mixed, whatever kind they have, 2 ducklings, 2 goslings, and 2 turklings (whatever baby turkeys are called). Personally, I think that the waterfowl will end up on the pond behind us, or next door, or across the road. The turkeys will end up being coyote fodder. The chickens? Well, God willing, the chickens will be laying eggs at some point, cause goodness knows, we go thru enough of them!!! We can go thru 8 at a breakfast, if we're all home...ay yi yi...lol.

We've got three baby Buff Cochins (DH couldn't resist the ones at the feed store, lol) and two of them are males, one female. So one potential egg layer, and two alarm clocks. Great. Just when I thought it was safe to sleep a bit. LOL.

Don't suppose anyone likes to unpack books? Got about two tons of them (and, I'm sorry to say, we actually left some behind--as well as my antique piano--since we couldn't move them--there was simply no space left. And don't get me started on all of my plants...!!!!!!!! ).....

Anyway, enough of my kvetching. However, my begging/pleading/on my knees in dire need prostrations/desperation about the books is indeed real. Please, if you live anywhere in a 50 mile radius of Ada OK, PLEASE PLEASE come help! I'll feed you! I'll pick you up! I'll put you up on the most comfortable full size futon in the entire world (if pregnant me has slept on it off and on thru two pregnancies--one with twins, it will indeed sleep anyone, lol)...just come hellllllpppppp!!!!!!!!

Rachel (who feels like a bibliophiliac with hoarder tendencies...lol)

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Rachel,
Big hugs to you!!! What a huge undertaking you have, especially with all your little ones! Give yourself plenty of time to get things in order, and lots of big breaks to play. I am really so excited for you!

Praying for you as you settle in and learn this new life.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2008 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

I grew up in OK and wish I could go back! Just visited there two weeks ago when the redbuds were in bloom. Enjoy!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version