Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Why are you here today? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2008 at 4:13am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We have talked about how support networks change and transition. Hopefully we are choosing to spend time here because it meets a need for us at the present time - whether it be community building, resource sharing, idea gathering, inspiration, prayer support, faith support, fun & laughter, whatever.

What is it that brings you back to the boards (each day, each week - whenever you check in )?

What benefits are you receiving from being present here?

It is really late and I should be in bed, but...
Hey that is one of the reasons I'm here - I can talk to people even late at night. Actually maybe not talk to them in the present unless they live in the eastern hemisphere. But at least I can talk and later someone will read.

But seriously I love coming here because it fills my need to be around other homeschoolers who have a similar educational philosophy and approach to learning - the "real learning" way to live our lives.

I love to brainstorm with other people. It's much more fun and productive than doing it all on my own. There is no place local where I find others so excited about picture books, unit studies, and living the liturgical year in great numbers. I have a couple local friends with similar approaches but we can't talk and get together as easily as is possible on these board.

I like having perspective from homeschoolers all over the country and around the world. It broadens my horizons.

And I also have to say I love talking about the Catholic faith. I love that even those who are not Catholic feel welcome here and comfortable to ask questions. (I like to answer questions, too ). Being a part of everyone's faith journey is amazing - it helps me on mine.

So how about you, why are you here?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 07 2008 at 4:16am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh yay, and recently it's been Maryan's fun thread that has been bringing me back (each hour ).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 4:21am | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

It's very hard to find uncritical, supportive places to "talk" about homeschooling, parenting, faith, marriage, philosophy and general life issues. Being "online" seems to remove the gentleness we might otherwise show a person when talking face-to-face. This board seems to be a place where people go out of their way to be kind and to reserve judgement.
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mary and Lauri, you've nailed it for me already...I've got nothing more to say ...(no one will believe that! )..well it IS late here in Aus and I'm off to bed, look forward to reading and chatting tomorrow.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I love you all--even though I haven't met you
I have support in my religion, choice of education for my child, career as a homemaker, role as a wife, etc. I can "talk" without worrying about having to defend myself. It is refreshing and fun!!
I come most of all to learn. There is so much (free) information here-about the Catholic faith and education.
Thank you all for making this such a breath of fresh air in my day...
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

MaryM wrote:
Oh yay, and recently it's been Maryan's fun thread that has been bringing me back (each hour ).

Yep!

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

I have to admit that Maryan's thread has kept me peeking back here all weekend. But, I also come here for most of the same reasons that have already been posted. There aren't many homeschoolers in our small town,so it's nice to come here and not be the minority. Oh...and ya'll are an awesome bunch of prayer warriors, too.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Where else would someone know how to type a narration while nursing a baby, juggle laundry for five (or more), create a peaceful home environment despite the fact that your children would like to create a racetrack in every room of your house, live the liturgical year with fervor, and teach history to several different grade levels?? And allow you to use emoticons while you make friendships with other ladies trying to do these things???

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Maryan wrote:
Where else would someone know how to type a narration while nursing a baby, juggle laundry for five (or more), create a peaceful home environment despite the fact that your children would like to create a racetrack in every room of your house, live the liturgical year with fervor, and teach history to several different grade levels?? And allow you to use emoticons while you make friendships with other ladies trying to do these things???

Maryan nailed it for me.

And also the prayer warrior aspect!

I truly feel loved by so many of you.

And this is the only place online I've ever gone where I feel we talk about even "difficult" topics with love and grace.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I truly don't think that I can add anything to what all of you have already said!

I can come here for ANY REASON - and be met with kindness, hospitality, and comfort. Just like having Mary's arms wrapped around me -- that's what I get from this board.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!!!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I come here to pray, seek prayer, laugh, ask questions and share with like-minded faith-filled friends...Ditto to what everyone has said. This forum is a blessing--I just have to discipline myself to not spend toooo much time here--it's such a great place to be!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Though I do not share in the Catholic faith, I am a strong Christian and have been encouraged in MANY ways through this board! Some of the ways I have been encouraged...

*finding other mothers who consider this to be the greatest calling in the world!
*finding other mothers who value their role in the home and consider it a huge responsibility, thus taking it seriously, wanting to do a good job, etc.
*finding others who have chosen a similar homeschooling path
*similar homeschooling choices - charlotte mason, gentle mothering and learning, making memories with your children, etc.
*I have gleaned SO many wonderful ideas from the ladies on these boards! crafts, recipes, housekeeping, parenting, homeschooling books, lesson ideas, the list goes on and on!

My list could probably go on, but those are the things that jump out at me off the top of my head. I consider these boards a blessing!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

I check in here, sometimes each day, sometimes more times passes...

I come here for:
friendship
companionship
sharing my faith
homeschooling resources

I love reading the ideas in all the different 'rooms' upstairs. it has helped me to broaden our homeschooling and have more fun!

I love just chatting with the ladies here.
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Loren

I come for "adult conversation" with like-minded moms. I love getting ideas for celebrating the church year and incorporating our faith into our life and learning.
Back to Top View Loren's Profile Search for other posts by Loren

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

You ladies are my Homeschool support group. I don't have one IRL, so you ladies are it for me as far as support, info sharing, and companionship in this homeschooling endeavor.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote joann10

CAgirl4God wrote:

I love reading the ideas in all the different 'rooms' upstairs. it has helped me to broaden our homeschooling and have more fun!

This is certainly one of the main reasons that I check in.
Also, just knowing there are so many like minded women out there helps me when I am feeling alone in this large family, homeschooling, faith centered life I am living.
I just love everyone here.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

Well, three of my favorite things to study and discuss are homeschooling, parenting, and religion, so this is the right place to be. I agree about being satisfied in my need for "adult conversation" since the kids and I are kind of isolated. Plus, it's nice to talk to like-minded people; we meet very few homeschoolers outside of our homeschooling group (which we rarely get to attend and discourages any form of homeschooling other than unschooling). Our nuclear family is striking out on a different path than the rest of our family (breastfeeding, co-sleeping, stay-at-home mom, and the homeschooling) or our pre-college friends. It's nice to know we're not alone.

I've also learned a lot more about about Catholicism, which is sad considering I attended twelve years of Catholic school.

I often mention this forum to others, though, when they make comments about how they don't think they could homeschool or handle issues with their kids. I explain that with this being a conservative Catholic forum there are many of you with large families, so I figure that if you can manage it all with your large families I can manage with my small one. I un-ashamedly steal ideas from the experiences that everyone on here shares.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I'm not homeschooling yet, so my main reason for coming here is adult conversation with like-minded ladies. I am so thankful that this forum is here! Even when I don't actively participate in a conversation, I enjoy reading others' thoughts and mulling them over. I also appreciate the varied topics discussed here; I like hearing about curriculum, reading the chatty threads, sharing homemaking ideas, and the rest.

I don't know any homeschooling OR large families in real life--I'm rather isolated here at home with my little ones. This board is an encouragement to me that there are others out there living the lifestyle that my husband and I think God is calling us to. It is a blessing to check in with you all each day.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

when I really reflect , the most important aspect for me with this board has been the Prayer Forums.
I know that I am not the only one who has witnessed God at work through our prayers for eachother, through some pretty "impossible" situations. Thank you for the prayerful witness and support you ALL have been for me and my family, and the prayer request section is the area I check most frequently.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

After checking email, it's my first stop (of many thruout my day) every day ....

I love coming here, before the kids are up, with my cup of coffee and check in with what's happenin' with my 4real pals ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version