Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: When is Survival Mode Too Long? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

In reading Dawn's question:I've Wasted So Much of My Kids' Time! I was struck by one thing that is something I think we have all, at one time or another, questioned. I know I have.

dawn2006 wrote:
In short, I've concluded that I've been in survival mode for way too long.

When is survival mode too long?????

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Hmmm, don't know...this whole week has felt like survival mode and I wish it was over...does that help?

Funny thing is, I didn't get my usual February burn out...I think it just waited until April

Oi! That's sad "my usual February burnout."

Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

You mean it is not supposed to be a permanent way of life?

For me, this year, I realized that survival mode, for us, is actually synonymous for life. With eight kids, babies coming every other year, the occasional move, job changes, etc. life is all about survival.

I have told myself for years that things will be better, when I am not pregnant, or nursing a new baby, or packing for a move, or...

But even on those odd years when everything should have flowed smoothly, days slipped by and we fell into our survival habits.

So, this year, I came to some real conclusions. Homeschooling for me, is about family. I have accepted that we straddle the unschooler/relaxed homeschooler fence. I have determined to turn my FULL attention to my home and school. If I am fully present and living intentionally in the moment, even survival can be fruitful. But if I use survival mode as an excuse to be less than my best, than I am passing up the opportunity to grow along with my children.

Does that even answer your question? I have half a dozen voices around me making any train of thought a challenge.

Off to be fully present!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Same here,the burn out was "posponed".With me,it started in March.Maybe it's the pregnancy,but I just want this school year to end.These doubts that maybe I'm not doing enough and that the children would be better in a "real"school tend to get to me.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Cay, you can relate to this...
Survival mode started for us Aug 29, 2005 and it's just now coming to an end.

We lost our home in a hurricane, moved 4 times in less than three years, I struggle with depression that has been crippling at times (couldn't even get out of bed and let the 7 yr care for the 4 yo) and adopted a new baby.

My life is now stable (please, Lord, let it continue!) and I'm ready for survival mode to end. We should be here in Colorado for 2.5 more years and I'm looking forward to it!

Jennifer

Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

teachingmyown wrote:
So, this year, I came to some real conclusions. Homeschooling for me, is about family. I have accepted that we straddle the unschooler/relaxed homeschooler fence. I have determined to turn my FULL attention to my home and school. If I am fully present and living intentionally in the moment, even survival can be fruitful. But if I use survival mode as an excuse to be less than my best, than I am passing up the opportunity to grow along with my children.

...Off to be fully present!

This is beautiful!! I'm posting this right next to my computer so I don't forget

Blessings,

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

teachingmyown wrote:
But if I use survival mode as an excuse to be less than my best, than I am passing up the opportunity to grow along with my children.

That was (is) me. Survival mode seems so normal that it's hard to strive for more.

Michael has been home since October (that was our last big change-and I realize now that even positive things can be stressful!) and it's now April. So when does survival mode become sloth and laziness?

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

teachingmyown wrote:
I have determined to turn my FULL attention to my home and school. If I am fully present and living intentionally in the moment, even survival can be fruitful. But if I use survival mode as an excuse to be less than my best, than I am passing up the opportunity to grow along with my children.

I really liked this, Molly.

Dawn said that her solution to "survival living" was that she intended to live more purposefully.

I don't think it's necessary to be a supermom to live mindfully and purposefully.   I think as you said, Molly, by being present and attentive you can have a purposeful life even if some days are a struggle just to survive

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

teachingmyown wrote:
You mean it is not supposed to be a permanent way of life..... But if I use survival mode as an excuse to be less than my best, than I am passing up the opportunity to grow along with my children.

Holy cow, Miss Molly, you just hit the nail on the head for me. I've been like this since we've moved to NOVA 20 months ago, and it's truly shameful. I could pull out any number of excuses I have neatly tucked away in case dh shows too much concern with how we've been spending our days, (moving here with a newborn, new place, new faces, dh having looooong hours, enduring three pregnancy losses, gearing up for another move in less than 8 weeks..) but the reality of it all is that I have chosen on a daily basis, me, Amy, to let things get in my way and I've remained a victim of circumstance instead of squaring my shoulders to my cross, and turning to Christ Our Lord and His Blessed Mother for help. And all the while my children have suffered because of it. Perhaps noticeably to others or to themselves, but they have; I know.

Cay, thank you for posting this... I wanted to post something similar, but lacked the courage to do so.

Molly, thank you for your insight, I'm sure the Holy Spirit is moving through you to speak to me and maybe to others.

Pray for me, dear sisters in Christ, that I can become the mother and teacher my children need and deserve to have.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 4:28am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I was slowly reading down this thread and came to Molly's posting, fully intending to cut and paste the whole lot as inspirational but everyone has done it before me in bits and pieces! Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts Molly, just great.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I agree with everyone, Molly said it well.

Whats the alternative to survival mode? Most people would say school, but I would be completely over the edge if I had school in the mix too.

We seem to go from one crises to another, either our own, or families close to us. Sometimes it feels like we only get a day or two of really good schooling between crises.

I have decided it's just life.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 05 2008 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

It takes as long as it takes! :)

I was in a car accident in Feb of 2007 and not only we were on survival mode for homeschooling but for homemaking, too, until May when I was recovered. Every day my children did: 1 - copywork of their choice, 2 - one lesson from math, 3 - X minutes of Silent Sustained Reading from either History, Geography or Science with either a written (older) or oral narration, 4 - listen to read aloud of literature (my big contribution), and 5 - Rosetta Stone german on the computer. In addition, they did all the house work and all the cooking! They were 10th, 6th and 2nd grade at the time - so not little ones. They survived just fine and I bet their handwriting improved a lot with all the copywork. Additionally, they grew in character as they really pitched in without a single complaint.

So, I think survival is OK for however long it needs to be. To everything there is a season, and it will eventually end.
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

If I am fully present and living intentionally in the moment, even survival can be fruitful. But if I use survival mode as an excuse to be less than my best, than I am passing up the opportunity to grow along with my children.

nak

this is what i'm just coming to realizing. you put it perfectly.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

All I can say is "Wow!". I am certain it was the Holy Spirit, as Amy said, if I was able to bless you all with my words. I literally walked away from the computer after posting that thinking that I really blew it and probably should have waited for a quieter moment to post when my thoughts were more clear.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Isa in Michigan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Isa in Michigan

I think it's sometimes necessary to be in survival mode if there are certain situations that come up where it would be too stressful or impossible to keep a full-blown schedule. In those cases I've kept a minimum schedule going with the intention of making it only temporary.

I am now feeling the need to be more organized and disciplined about such things as setting my alarm clock in the morning to wake up at a regular time each day. It really helps the day go better if I'm awake an hour before the kids get up. This is not the easiest thing for a night owl like me!

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Cay, you asked a question that has been tugging at my heart for way too long. Or maybe I should say pricking my conscience.    

For me, survival mode began in Dec. 2000, when I found out my dear mum had breast cancer. 2001 was filled her heart attack, congestive heart failure, and many bouts in the hospital; many trips for us back and forth to FL, a miscarriage, another pregancy, gestational diabetes, insulin, delivery of a healthy baby, two major bathroom renovations while I was postpartum (yes, the time one NEEDS a bathroom!,) chickenpox, a baptism, and another long trip to FL to spend my mum's last two weeks with her. By 2002, I was wiped out.

It took me another year to get some semblance of hs'ing going, but I have always felt I failed my now 17yods. He began high school (private Catholic high school) fall of 2005. I have always felt that I missed some critical years with him, and somehow missed giving him what he needed at a time I hurt so badly I couldn't think straight.

Would it have been better for him to be in "real school?" It is a question that can't be answered. But, I did slowly discover that I had to bring more order into our home and reprioritize my days. I really need time in the morning to focus and get my bearings, to pray and get centered on what God wants of me. I can't do that with the boys, so I now get up earlier. If I don't, I feel flustered, lost and disorganized all day.

My two years of survival mode have taken me twice as long to dig out of (and actually, I am still working on it-I guess I am a slow study!)

I think everyone else managed their trying times and survival modes better than me! Sure wish I had known you all then!

Gee, I really didn't intend to sound so down! I better close and send!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thank you Molly. I also felt inspired by your thoughts.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 10 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

Wow I did not realize that what I went through this year you gals have been going through for some time too. At times I wonder if I am doing the right thing by hs, this year was a little hard for me we had a baby in 11/07 and it has taken me a while to recoup. I feel guilty for not being fully present for my dd in K. I totally keep telling myself "ok next year will be better". And I also always wonder why am I doing this again? Oh yeah the Holy Spirit prompted me to do so, so I must continue because I know at ps the problems would only be different and worse, much worse.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version