Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: I did something crazy today Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 02 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I bought my children a cell phone. I do hope I don't regret it. Over the weekend I really messed up getting my son to his soccer game and my phone was dead so no one could get in touch with me. I do think my kiddos will be better about keeping their phone charged, and with them, than I am. Being the mean mom that I am , I blocked texting and the internet, and their phone doesn't have a camera.

Do share...anyone else have children with cell phones? How old were they when they got it?

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

My dd uses a cell phone, but it's not like it's hers . I just have an extra phone that I keep in my purse. And if I drop her off somewhere and I'll need to call her, or there is some concern about the pickup or blah blah blah then I hand her the phone. We use those prepaid phones. So there are no minutes to use or not use and such. When she use to take ballet at a school rather far from home (about a 30min drive and more during traffic), it was good because then she could call if after her class let out and she didn't see me, I could tell her exactly how far away I was and such so she wouldn't worry. I don't think you are crazy!   

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I think I made a mistake of letting the kids know the phone is theirs. I like your approach.

We are going to have rules about its use and where it belongs when we are home.

It cracks me up how excited they are about having a phone. They don't call their friends and talk for hours every afternoon, like I did. Ds10 barely knows how to talk on the phone other than to see if a buddy can play. Maybe this makes them feel one step closer to the rest of society.

I do think it will be a good thing, just because of where we live and our situation this year.   They are going to be spending a lot of time with other people getting to their activities this year.

Kacky, I'm glad to know I'm in good company

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

My teens got cell phones once we started leaving them to babysit ... or they started being out at night ... it's SOOOO nice to know I can get them at any time!

When we first came back from Austria (5 years ago), we didn't even put in a land-line (we'd have to wait 4 months or something ) and just got cell phones -- so I always had the "house phone" with me and my son had a phone and dh had a phone ... pretty much covered every contingent at the time. When we moved to Denver, we put in a land-line but I got dh and I each cellphones and Cate and Joe had "trac" phones where you fill them up as you go ... so we could cancel or fill as we wanted.

The kids have text -- Rick and I don't -- I figure email is good enough for me. Catie (the oldest at home now) spends more time texting than talking on the phone -- but that's definitely a high school thing .

I won't give Thomas (9), Maggie (8), or JP (5) a phone for a few years ... but JP often walks around the house with his hand to his ear (imitating his teen siblings) talking to his "friends"

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We got ds a cell phone when he was 14 or so. With dh gone so often, and me driving both children around to various meetings and lessons, we felt it was a good idea.

Our prepaid plan requires adding $20 to the phone every quarter. I took the phone to California and used it every day, sometimes for half an hour at a time, to use up some of the huge balance we'd accumulated. Ds NEVER talks on the phone except to call home at the end of a Scout trip!

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Mary Chris, ALL of Joe's homeschooled friends have phones. If we had continued to homeschool him, we most likely would have had a prepaid phone card/trac phone type arrangement for him. He would have been scattered to Community College, a Cooperative School, etc etc.
However, he is in Catholic School this year and cell phones (any electronics, I pods, etc) are not allowed on Campus. (if you are a Jr or Senior you can keep it in your car)
so, we dodged it for now, as really school, and sports, and clubs, at school have become the bulk of his social life as well.
I think if technology is available, we should be able to use it as a "tool" to help us if we need to.
My friend just mentioned recently that there are some long term concerns about carrying the phone on your body? , especially with still developing kids? maybe they can keep it in a backpack, etc instead of a pocket if they have the option?

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Mary Chris,
I got Charlie one when he was 14 and Court was in Germany. I was tired of trying to juggle three kids on three teams and keep track of where my teen was and when he needed to picked up, etc. It was very helpful in that regard.

Of course, it wasn't all rosy. He used too many minutes and too many texts and we ended up taking it from him for a long time. Now he has a Go-Phone for which he is responsible.

With your dh gone, I think it is a wise decision. Just watch those minutes!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We gave one to our oldest ds when he was 12. He was playing soccer with an older team, and we knew that he would be going to Washington, D.C. that summer with a friend. One of the other team mothers gave me a hard time since her son did not have a phone.

Well, he never really used it except when he was in Washington. So my dh inherited it.

Over here, everyone has a cell phone (they call them mobiles). They look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that I do not have one. We purchased one just this week. My dh uses it. Once the children become more involved, we may see about getting a second phone.

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Our older girls got cell phones when they started having activities away from home and when they drive.
I love being able to contact them when they are a little late and when I am a little late picking them up.

BTW, I pay the bills so it is mine and I make the rules if there is have any funny business or misuse.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

My oldest dd18 got a cell phone just a few months back. It seemed that most of the other girls in the CathHS group had one, and were years younger than her . But since she walks to work, etc, we felt it was a good idea. She never just chats on it though, except during free hours sometimes...
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Wow - I'm really glad that my kids are 9 and 6. Looks like I have a few years to make a decision about this.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I haven't looked for my kids yet.. at this point if they're not with me they're with an adult in charge and they all have cell phones any more

I did get one for myself once my oldest was old enough to be able to stay home alone for short periods of time. That way I can be reached.

I did hear about a type of phone from a friend that was prepaid but it also only let you program in certain numbers so that you could give a younger child a phone but they could only call say mom and dad and grandma and one other number (I think it was 4 numbers) and there was an emergency button for calling 911.

But you couldn't just punch in any number to call.. you programed the phone then there was the 4 buttons for calling the 4 numbers and that was it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Mary Chris, did you do a phone with a plan? Or one with the rechargable minutes where you pay as you use? I always think that makes them think more. Just like the phone Jodie is talking about. My MIL had that kind of phone for forever.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

we haven't yet...
but this May I am due for an upgrade on my phone.
we plan on getting my another phone, and adding anew number to have an extra cell phone. then we will have three.. maybe four if I can find my old phone lol.

we do NOT have a land line. so we would like to keep on at home for home use... and have an extra one for ds at scouting events and overnight trips...

don't think you are crazy...
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Well, Mary Chris already knows this, but here's what we've done. For about a year now, my kids have had a phone that they share when they need to be away from home for babysitting or activities. It is on our family plan and adding it only costs $10 more per month with shared minutes. The older two girls, who make a lot of money these days, pay the difference in the bill. (That's because they were the ones who really wanted the phone.)

But I have been really pleased with the experience. They don't use it to talk with friends and we don't have texting, so it has really been more for safety and convenience.

BlessedbyGod
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote BlessedbyGod

We have an extra cell phone b/c after we signed the plan for two phones my dh got a free one from work. So, we use it for the older kids if they are going out or (especially) if they are on a bike ride or something. It gives me peace of mind. It's not any one person's phone. They share. There's no texting or anything like that.
Back to Top View BlessedbyGod's Profile Search for other posts by BlessedbyGod

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I got mine phones when they started to drive. I didn't want them on the road without one. I have one also, but since I hardly ever leave the house, that one is used for my 12,14,15 year olds that are going to be somewhere and will need to be picked up.

My oldest kids still have phones on our family plan because it is cheaper for them to do it this way. They pay me for them and pay the difference for special features that they get on their phones.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version