Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Horton Hears a Who? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

Has anyone else seen this?

I was very surprised by the oh-not-so-subtle reference to the movie villain, the kangaroo, as a "pouch-schooler." It's a slam on homeschooling, of course, and seems to be the driving force as to why the kangaroo is out to get Horton. She is a terrible character who is always stuffing her joey into the pouch and depriving him of all sorts of things, yells at him to not use his imagination, prevents him from being with other children, and so on.

My children liked it, for they are little enough to not get the subtleties but it really just made me not so much angry as just irritated and rather sad by the stereotype.

Although a parent could use the whole "Even if you don't see it or hear it, it's still real" argument for helping a child learn about God, the movie overall is just mean-spirited. A much better job of "believing without seeing" can be found in "The Silver Chair" by C.S. Lewis.

Anyhow, I thought I'd just pass the info about the homeschooling portrayal in a movie.

Just my two cents.

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

No, we have not seen the movie but I did hear about this negative reference to homeschooling when it first came out and was very disappointed.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

A homeschooling friend of mine loved the movie, so she must have missed that. My father took my boys to it and said it was "OK". The boys said it was good, but they didn't seem terribly excited by it.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

OK, I have not seen the movie, and I feel a certain deja vu about the time I tried (successfully) to criticize The Golden Compass, which is WAY worse, on an "inclusive" homeschool group here locally, but when I saw the comercials for Horton Hears a Who, I was just plain disgusted and bummed out.
Yet again, another lame attempt to just make money and make the next big kid's movie. Has everyone forgotten the animated version of this classic PRO-LIFE story?? Why does every kid's movie today have to be full of clever references to modern-day culture to entertain the parents?

Sorry for the rant, but I feel the movie industry more than ever is preying on parent's desires to have "something" their kids can go see. They pander to the lowest common denominator, betting just how "with-it" they must make the movie, to keep the parents interested and yet seem to be G-rated. Sorry again, I was so mad when I saw this movie out. Why does everything have to be so over-the-top in this culture? It makes me sad for unsuspecting parents who think it's OK because it's G.

I guess I'm an old foegy (sp?) but it's so hard to protect our kids when this (relatively minor, I know) kind of thing is promoted as so great and such a great movie for kids, etc....not to mention the whole Golden Compass scenario of promoting atheism to youth that can happen right before our eyes, in a PG kinda way, in this society of very skewed views. So many parents let the media and the rating systems do their discerning for them, or if it's the next blockbuster, they succumb to the peer pressure of their kids "have" to see it! Ack.

Rant over. My apologies to the faint of heart, but sometimes I've had it! Time to go read Philipians 4:....

cm4
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

My oldest doesn't like going to the movies; it's too loud for her sensitive ears. She also had a bad IMAX experience when she was 2 1/2 (before a 3-D Santa and Snowman movie they felt compelled to show a preview of a 3-D shark movie). So we very rarely take the kids to see anything.

I realized, though, that "Curious George" would be a great movie when it got horrible reviews. All the reviewers just couldn't believe that a studio would make a kids' movie that was actually for kids. I have absolutely no desire to see "Horton"; all of the Seuss movies have been disappointing.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

We hadn't been to a movie for over 2 years and I took the kids to see this recently. I suppose I completely "missed" the whole homeschooling thing because I was so focused on the Pro-life message it kept. "A person is a person no matter how small...even if you can't hear it, touch it, see it or feel it." I guess I just glossed over the Pouch school thing because I was more in shock that Holly**od kept the pro-life message in there.

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

So put your joey in your pouch and deprive him of the movie. :-)

At any rate, stereotypes often have a kernel of truth to them. I know some homeschoolers who DO keep their children away from everyone, don't listen or watch anything secular, etc. (And, of course, the ones who keep their kids locked up and abused physically and sexually, and claim to be "homeschooling" always make the news!) But for the non-abusive types, its not a good way to teach them to discern right from wrong, and be ready to evangelize the culture.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Macmom, will you explain what you are saying? I think I am missing something. I am a little slow some days
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

hmm my post was lost in between Mac Mom and Chickenlady.

I like the pouch school connotation- it has a bit of an attachment parenting/slinging it type visual to me.
what I HATE is how 99.9% of all animated movies are chock full of double entendres (spelling??) to keep the parents laughing and the kids repeating catchy and pg-13-esque phrases for ever.
We don't "do" movie theatres. ok, very very very rarely, like oh, once every 2-3 years or so if we want to "vote" with our money some really stellar performance (Passion, etc)
I'd much rather not have my money count toward box top successes unless I'm at least 95% with the message, kwim?
let alone the fact that movies, at least around here are SO expensive.
We're not against renting something via Netflix later, and editing as needed....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I should note that I think Hollywood probably kept in the "Pro-Life" message because they didn't realize it could be construed as a pro-life message. They probably thought it had more to do with racial tolerance...or tolerance for little people.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Barbara C. wrote:
I should note that I think Hollywood probably kept in the "Pro-Life" message because they didn't realize it could be construed as a pro-life message. They probably thought it had more to do with racial tolerance...or tolerance for little people.

the estate of "Dr Seuss" also makes it very clear that his intent was never a "pro-life" one and that pro-life groups were asked to discontinue the T shirts, etc made with that quote on it....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 01 2008 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

cornomama4 wrote:
OK, I have not seen the movie, and I feel a certain deja vu about the time I tried (successfully) to criticize The Golden Compass, which is WAY worse, on an "inclusive" homeschool group here locally, but when I saw the comercials for Horton Hears a Who, I was just plain disgusted and bummed out.
cm4

I've gotted criticized for saying I didn't like the movie (not on this board), but I was just wondering if I was alone in feeling like 99% of kids' movies are NOT for kids.

This flick had all sorts of odd undertones, was packed with stuff that was really not for little ones. And, you know, the little ones are the ones who like Dr. Seuss. There were references to MySpace and Henry Kissinger (I am not kidding ... LOL), and it was overall icky.

The pro-life message is good, but it was quite unintentional because Dr. Seuss was apparently very pro-choice. It still works as a good pro-life slogan, but the movie itself was just so ... jarring and frantic.

And what gets me? I didn't want to go to the movies, but I often feel like the oddball for being so cautious about movies for little kids. Sigh.

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version