Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: A personal wardrobe consultant... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 08 2008 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

..is what I am in desperate need of

I have NOTHING to wear for warmer weather (and don't ask what I have been wearing all winter) - how to develop a style that is modest and not frumpy, classic and stylish?

Anyone out there with advice? I am looking for skirts (failed to find dresses) - for someone who is 5ft2. I checked out the old Navy tshirts - and now they are made out of a flimsy and cheap material. So I guess the longer t-shirts from Lands End. I like soft knits and elasticated waist. I will do cropped pants/capris rather than shorts.

I went to the mall (as I had a mall gift voucher) - first time in a year - and I ran out again - I cannot handle malls - really really dislike them - came out with a migraine. I went so that the kids could try out the Lands End sizes in Sears before we order online.

I am an ignorant shopper - I do not know where to get nice petite clothes from.

Any tips would be appreciated - I have given myself the goal of smartening up by Easter.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2008 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what size clothes are you looking for other than petite? that will change where you should shop.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JodieLyn wrote:
what size clothes are you looking for other than petite? that will change where you should shop.

Size 2 and Size 4

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2008 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

I recently read the book It's So You and really enjoyed it. I haven't bought much new stuff (yet ) but it gives a lot of good tips on what to wear based on your body size/shape and your personal style.

If you're a Faith & Family reader the book was featured along with some makeovers a few months ago.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Motherhood has some simple, inexpensive nursing tops that I am hoping to get one or two of with a Christmas gift card. As for skirts, J Jill has some beautiful ones, and usually plenty on clearance especially in smaller sizes. I am 5'5", so I find I am stuck in-between lengths. But I have never been close to a size 4, not even in my skinny high school days!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I second "It's So You". I recently read it and found it to be very helpful. Now when I shop, I know exactly what to look for.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I like Bedford Fair for my basic twill and denim skirts. I just ordered two in khaki and two in the denim. Cargo pockets, all elastic waist...

I won't tell you my size.      Its embarrassing to me. I wasn't a 4 after I was in about 7-8th grade, though....

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2008 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

I also read It's So You!a few months ago.I heard an interview with the author on the radio and decided to read the book.The chapter on dressing for your body type was very good.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Marilyn,
I really like Land's End, but I'm a sort of plain and practical kind of girl. I mean, I love flowers and lace, but when it comes to my wardrobe, I tend to grab the same solid color shirt and nice skirt.

I'd really like to take a look at the book recommended above.

Maybe if you got the book and decided on a few basics, you could purchase a few capris and skirts in basic colors, and then add some nicer quality shirts in colors that complement you. I'm not sure of a petite shop to send you to - I'm in between at 5'5" - and I tend to gravitate toward misses so the length of the skirt will be a little longer. Plus, I'm completely out of touch with what's out there right now!!! But, I do understand the need/desire to overhaul the wardrobe so that it is practical, pared down, and a little more up to date.   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I really like Sundance Catalog for skirts. They do have some in petite, too, but the smallest size is a 4.

The prices are high, but I have found some excellent deals in the outlet section of the site (skirt regularly $100-150 for $30). While not everything on the site is modest, a lot of it is, and I find it to be very stylish, almost hip in a slightly western way, but not so hip as to not be classic. A nicer selection of long skirts and dresses than I've seen anywhere--rarely is anything above the knee. Its not frumpy at all, either.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version