Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Alarm clocks / getting up in the AM? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 05 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

Do you get up with an alarm clock, or at a set time (or time range) each day?

Do you get your kids up, or let them sleep until they wake on their own?

Thanks!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2008 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

My two youngest wake up pretty early (5:30- 6:30), and Hubby's alarm goes off at 6:15. When he is ready to leave for work (7:00) he wakes me up with a kiss and a cup of coffee in bed . He would leave me to sleep longer, but our youngest has to start her meds around that time. My 12yo I leave to wake when she is ready which is usually around 8:00. We're big believers in waking when you are rested, unless we have to be somewhere at a specific time.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

DH and I wake to Classical Music station -- he usually gets up first at 4:45 and I'm up somewhere between there and 5:15; little ones I have to get up at 7:00 as we're trying to go to daily Mass by 8:15; my 16yod gets herslef up to alarm at 5:15

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Um, wellllll....the girls are all usually up by 730. DHs schedule is in flux, seeing as he's leaving the Army, and hasn't been on a real army schedule since he got hom in Oct....and I usually get up shortly after the girls, bcause the boys will wake up and want attention not long after that.

Once we get out to OK and get settled, then we'll be looking at something more time-structured.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I often need an alarm if I'm trying to keep myself getting up at a certain time.. it's to music so if I'm really exhausted I can choose to go back to sleep.. or if I just need a bit more time (or I don't want to get out of my warm bed just yet ) I can lay there and listen to the radio and wake up a bit more before I have to move.

I prefer the kids not being woken up.. but if I need them to adjust to an earlier wake up time.. I will get them up so that they'll go to bed easier and to sleep sooner. But if I know they were asleep pretty much when they should have been.. then I tend to let them sleep. Getting enough sleep impacts so many things.. immune system, learning, etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

I try to get up and shower before dh leaves in the morning, but if all the kids are asleep, sometimes I sleep in. I am usually awake by 6:30. I am so not a morning person, so this is hard for me. I let the kids sleep until they wake on their own, usually. If they are not awake by 8:00, I get wake them. It works for us.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

The best thing I did this year was get my 12 yr. old and 15 yr. old alarm clocks for Christmas! They both went to school outside of the home this year, joining the older sister, and my mornings have become way too busy to have to be running up and down stairs waking people up. With their own alarms, they are completely responsible for themselves. They decide what time they need to get up and by 6am all three of the school kids are fully dressed and at the breakfast table. I am already up making lunches, ironing and waiting for that coffee to finish perking!
Personally, my husband gets up later than me, so we each have our own alarms... funny thing is I don't hear his alarm anyway. I use the alarm on my cell phone which is on the charger, far from my bed, so I don't have the "snooze" option.

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I only set an alarm if I have to be up for something earlier than I might be awake. (This morning I had a repair person coming at eight.) If my husband does not wake up and shut off his alarm before it sounds, it usually wakes me before it wakes him. I am very sensitive to noise while sleeping, and especially alarms. Loud ones have been known have me up like a shot of panic.

Normally, though, I sleep in as long as my little one sleeps. She wakes up anytime between 7:30 and 9:00 most mornings. I used to let my older daughter completely sleep herself out, but then I started waking her around 9:00 to make her bedtime more consistent. Since her dad took over her bedtime routine, though, she gets to sleep really late some nights, so now I wait until 9:30 or 10:00. Letting her go much later throws off the day too much, because for one thing we've been getting dressed in her room this winter because it's the warmest.   

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Oh how I wish I needed an alarm clock! My little ones rise with the birds, which in case some of you late risers don't know, is actually just before dawn!!!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I sleep a wee bit too late most mornings

I would like us all to get going a little earlier in the morning because I start to get very sleepy if our lessons drag out too late in the day!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

BlessedbyGod
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote BlessedbyGod

I try to get my high schooler to get up early. I hate when the day gets away from us. I slack, though. Especially when I'm pregnant. Currently I'm pregnant and nursing a 13 month old (who is still up all night). So while the younger 6 get up pretty early I tend to sleep a bit late with the baby. I'm a night person, though, and get lots done then.
Back to Top View BlessedbyGod's Profile Search for other posts by BlessedbyGod

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

cactus mouse wrote:

Do you get up with an alarm clock, or at a set time (or time range) each day?!

Depending on how my night went, I wake about 4:30 a.m. to make coffee and breakfast for DH. I never hear his alarm, but wake with the sound of the shower.

cactus mouse wrote:
Do you get your kids up, or let them sleep until they wake on their own?

At the beginning of this school year, I bought each of my children alarm clocks. None of my children wake to their alarm. My oldest always wakes w/o an alarm at about 6:30, and my seven year olds sleep through their alarms.      Usually, I'll go in and wake them if they aren't up by 8:30....only because if I let them constantly sleep in later during the week we have a horrible time getting everyone up and out in time for 9am Mass on Sunday.

If I let Olivia wake on her own, I doubt she'd be up until AT LEAST 10. No matter how early she went to bed.

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 01 2008 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

My girls are young but they get up early(6am-6:30am) and on their own. They climb into my bed to sleep a bit more or to get me up. I was in the routine of getting up at 6am and starting our school day by 7am but the baby has been waking up very often at night so i have been trying to get them to sleep in til almost 8am, or 7am at the least. The alarm clock just doesnt work for me. I end up just turning it off.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2008 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I faithfully set my alarm clock to get up early enough to exercise and then faithfully turn it off about an hour before it's supposed to go off and go back to sleep.   

Because of the above, my kids get up on their own. If I would get up when I'm supposed to, I'd have to wake the kids up around 7am.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 01 2008 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

"I faithfully set my alarm clock to get up early enough to exercise and then faithfully turn it off about an hour before it's supposed to go off and go back to sleep."    I can relate.
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Speaking of alarm clocks, we had a problem with our little system my dh and I have this morning. He has to get up around 5:15 am so on MWF he resets the alarm to 6am for me to get up so I can shower and then get the kids up so we can go to daily Mass. On Tues and Thurs he just turns it off and we sleep in a little. Well this morning he got up as usual and I heard him messing with the alarm so I dozed back off with our nursing baby on one side and the 4 yr old on the other LOL. The next time I woke up it was pretty light outside so I knew we were running late. I wiggled out from between the babes to check what time it was (my watch has mysteriously disappeared since the baby was playing with it last...)and the clock said 8:38. I was bummed because there was no way we could make it to Mass at 9am so I decided we would just get a little extra sleep. Well my son came in and asked for some breakfast and he said it was now 10:10 am so I thought that was probably enough sleeping in Well when we made it into the living room I looked at the clock and it said 9:15. Ugh! so apparently my dh accidently changed the time on our alarm clock when (in his words) he was "beating up" the alarm this morning. When I looked at the clock at what I thought was 8:38 was actually 7:38 and we would have had plenty of time to get to Mass. I guess I am going to have to find that watch...

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Oh I forgot to say that he forgot today was Wed so he just turned the alarm off

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

dh sets his alarm to get up for work...

lately I have been getting up to walk our new doggie.
the kids are also starting to wake up earlier.
our whole routine/schedule is shifting... lol

dh: o' dark thirty... (lol)
me: about 6:15
kids: whenever...
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version