Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: big kitchen tables and benches or chairs? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2008 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Can we talk about this?

We need a new one. We have a great big IKEA table (105 inches with the leaf) and it worked when we had 4 kids, but now that we need places for 3 kids on each side, its problematic because the table legs are placed in such a way as to make a good section of the table useless.    I feel like a dope for not noticing this when we first bought it. Its also quite ding-ed up.

Dh thinks we need something topped with formica so that our kids won't destroy it and so that it can take playdough, paint and the rough usage ours gets. I think that is going to be ugly and am not excited about the prospect. This is our every day table. We don't have a diningroom for a fancy table, and we have extended family with 9 kids and one on the way and another with 6 kids, so it needs to seat 12 at least.

And it needs to be affordable, of course.

Do you have the perfect table...tell me about it? Do you hate your table...tell me what not to buy!? What should I be looking for and where should I be looking?

Also, I can't decide if I want to stick with benches or move to chairs. Benches are indestructible, easier to clean and I like the clean look of the table without the tops of the chairs showing. The downside is kids picking and poking each other while using them. What are you using and do you like it?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Books -- dh build-in an L-shaped bench this past summer. The really nice thing is that he made the braces underneath so that a 14x14 cloth box can fit underneath ... so I've got 8 "boxes" of storage with a bench that fits 'em all. Also, if we have a party we can pull the table away from the bench and have seating. I made cushions too so the bench is comfy -- but (thank goodness ) the kids don't like to use the cushions so they're staying really, really nice!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Oh, as far as the formica topped table -- this is great -- just get a huge hollow door and cover it with a made-to-size formica top and some folding legs or other type of table legs (folding legs are inexpensive but really hold the weight and you can position them to maximize leg-room)... that's what our family used growing up and it worked great for our family of 9. When we'd have a party or just wanted to dress it up -- Mom made beautiful table cloths and you'd never know a lowly, scratched, painted-on, glued on, formica sheet was underneath!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Mary,
I am trying to picture your table and benches and it just isn't working. Could you post a picture?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I suggest looking at an office furnitiure store for a conference table. They can really take a banging up and are very servicable and some look very nice. That's probably what we'll do at some point. For now we are using the folding 8 ft cafeteria table from Sam's Club and another 3 foot card table at the end of it. Not pretty, but very user (homescholing 8 kids) friendly and very CHEAP.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

As an FYI...we tried the conference table thing a few years ago and you should know that some tables are a lot narrower than a typical dining room table. Just double check the measurements before you buy. We barely had room for plates to sit across from each other with no extra room to spare. That one is now our craft table!

Waltzing Matilda

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Martha

yes, that's true and the case with our cafeteria table. there's no room inthe center to for serving platters and such. but it does seat us and our plate okay.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2008 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

We have an oval-shaped oak table, 2 leaves in all the time, total length (with the leaves) is 94 inches. It has a double pedestal in the center, so there aren't problems from table legs. The wood is stained in a very light color, so that any dinks don't really show the way they would if they made a light-colored *scar* on a darker-colored table. It is very roomy with 8 chairs around, two on each side on the straight side, then two each at the head and foot, placed along the curve. When we seat 10, we just move these 8 chairs a bit closer to each other and then put one more each, directly at the head and foot. It's still quite comfortable with 10. So, I guess I'd say that oval is my idea of the most practical shape and the pedestal rather than legs gives more flexibility in changing configuration of chairs around the table.

DH grew up with a long bench on one side of the table, and it seemed to require a bit of orchestration about who got up when, to avoid tipping over, as well as letting the people who sat in the middle of the bench in and out.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Get something functional for every day.. dress it up with a nice tablecloth for special days.. makes much more sense to have a useable table for every day and cover it for special than the spend every day being extra careful with the table so that it's nice on special days.

We have benches on the sides.. I don't think we've had much problems with pushing and poking each other.. hmmm not sure why.. maybe send them away from the table (both parties) if they can't sit nicely? i think I may have done that.

There's no way in the space we have to not have the benches though.. this way our table can be pushed up to the wall when not in use and there's nothing sticking into the pathway.. though we do have chairs on the ends and a couple extras that can be put at the ends of the shorter bench.

There's no reason that kids can't straddle a table leg.. I remember doing it at my grammy's house all the time growing up

You could probably protect a tabletop with more layers of polyeurathane or such if you really wanted to have wood. We refinished the leaves of our table (as far as I got before getting pregnant) with a polyeurathane coating.. they're beautiful and hold up better than the old coating.

Pedastal legs (for long table double pedastal) are nice for keeps leg room free.. but they're a pain in the neck to clean under and our table has a bit of a tilt since it's support is in the middle apparently the top can warp and tilt some. (it's a pretty old table though)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We have benches,I really like them.   I picked them up years ago at a garage sale for 10.00!   Yard sales should start soon, keep your eyes open for a table, you can also use craigslist and freecycle. That is if economics are an issue, (I think you said they were )
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Matilda wrote:
As an FYI...we tried the conference table thing a few years ago and you should know that some tables are a lot narrower than a typical dining room table.

Those narrower ones are great for entertaining. You can set them up as a temporary serving buffet.

We have an old church pew we managed to acquire from a local parish that was 'wreckovating', it still has the kneeler on the back. We have it against the wall. I can squeeze a lot of little kids on that bench, it is as sturdy as can be!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Kath
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 04 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Kath

I second the polyurethane suggestion -- if you can find a table that already has several coats of it, or if you can finish the table yourself. That way you wouldn't have to worry about water marks, etc.

As far as playdough and paint, an oilcloth tablecloth is easy to pull out for messy projects and it wipes off easily.
Back to Top View Kath's Profile Search for other posts by Kath

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

If you use tablecloths, how do you stop your toddlers and preschoolers from pulling them off? I didn't have this problem with my girls but my boys...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I have been known to sew strips of fabric, bias tape or ribbon to the corners of a tablecloth and tie them around the legs of the table to prevent them from being pulled off. You can also get metal clips that clamp around the side of the table to keep the tablecloth from blowing away (they use these for picnic tables).

Waltzing Matilda

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

And you can just put on the cloth right before you start setting the table.. once there's plates and food on the table it's much harder to pull loose.

I was brought up with not being at the table until you're called to dinner.. so that helps protect that table too. Not quite there with my kids.. but that's partly because of where the table is.. once it's pulled out.. we lose half our living room.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I have a link somewhere to making your own table. I think that they used something similar to saw horses for the legs. Plywood, with a mosaic tile top. You can get clearance tile, any broken china, etc. And make it a unique bit of artwork. I'll see if I can find it...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Here's the link

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/artman/publish/Homemaki ng_and_Other_Practical_Topics_15/Homemade_Table_22961002296. shtml

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I have an Ikea table - it has two leaves (we usually leave one in, so it isn't open all the way) and can open to 108 inches total, I think? We only have a "great room" so no separate eating area in the kitchen, and no dining room - this is the table we have to do everything on - eat, projects, etc. We have a bench on one side, and then chairs along the other side and each end. I love having the bench.

I use an icky plastic tablecloth. As I said, our house is teeny, and this is our only workspace for everything...so I have to have that, as it is easy to clean, and inexpensive when they mess it all up, etc. At least I am able to find seasonal ones at Target, and the kids like them.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2008 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
And you can just put on the cloth right before you start setting the table.. once there's plates and food on the table it's much harder to pull loose.

Really? You must have weak toddlers That's part of the problem/excitement here. You have to see how fast you can run to the table and quickly decide what dishes to save

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

use heavy dishes

Seriously, there's enuogh people here when we're being "fancy" that someone can keep them away from the table.

-Sir Walter Scott

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version