Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Make your own sprouts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2008 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Does anyone make your own sprouts? Sheesh, I used to years ago, with minimal success. I used a mason jar and alfalfa seeds. I did some googling and was reminded of the rinsing and attention and...well...

Any words of wisdom? Anyone able to delegate this task to a child?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 4:17am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Angie, I highly recommend this book, it's a nice, big book, the author is simply brilliant in her knowledge (same with her herb book, can't think of a better book..)

I have used a Biosnacky Jar and found it is easy and stress-less, that link will show you step by step photos and information on how it's done - I reckon the Biosnacky Jar is child friendly.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Angie, I would think this is defiantly do-able for a child. My girls have been rinsing and watching for a couple of years. Actually my 6 yr old can do it!!!! Have fun, nothing like fresh sprouts on a salad and sandwich!!! YUM!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

I got the Biosnacky 3-level tray and it is totally no-brainer. Water once a day, that's it. Haven't done it in a while though... I do think I will do it soon. Certainly worth doing!

3-Level tray
ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I must live under a rock - where no sprouts go - never knew about this and didn't think to do this...

Now, I think it would be muy interesante!!!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2008 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Ladies,how do you remove the huls from the sprouts?I soak the sprouts in a large bowl and try to separate the sprouts from the dark huls,but I always end up with a lot of huls on the sprouts. Would the 3-level tray solve this?
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

I think the hull problem depends on what you are sprouting... larger seeds would make larger hulls. I've only done alfalfa and we just eat the whole thing.

I can see that it would be a problem with other things though... What about rinsing with the sink sprayer?? Or soaking and they would float to the top

I don't think the 3 level tray wd help....
sorry,
ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Nina wrote:
Ladies,how do you remove the huls from the sprouts?

Nina, I use a large wide mouth mason jar. I have three graduated size lids. I increase the size lid as the sprouts sprout! As I rinse them daily the hulls float to the and rinse away.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Okay, my problem with sprouts is I can never get them to be as pretty and long as the ones in the store -- is it because I'm not using "special sprouting seeds"? I am particularly interested in mung bean sprouts which we use a lot in our (Asian) cooking. But mine don't grow as long as the store-bought ones -- if I wait for them to get that long they're bound to have LOTS of rootlets already -- and kinda look yucky, to be honest.

I've tried the 3-level, the large jar with screen-plastic lid, and a regular Mason jar. I've tried sprouting in the dark and on the counter away from direct sunlight. Same results.

What am I doing wrong?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bumping this to say that we have *finally* mastered sprouts. We use the Easy Sprout Sprouter with alfalfa sprouts. The key is to drain the seeds well, to avoid molding. Stick the capped unit into a knee sock and spin like a salad spinner to remove water. The sprouts will bust out of the container, at which point I move to a Mason jar with a ventilated top. 1/4 cup seeds yields at least 2 quarts of sprouts.

Anyone else making sprouts? Tips?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

heh. i'm finally using my mom's very simple method after trying various gadgets. soak beans overnight (we use mung beans a lot because we like them). in the morning, drain, put into a container -- like a shallow bowl, stick in a Ziploc bag but keep the bag open, or if you can close the Ziploc, do so but poke holes in the top of the plastic. keep inside dark cupboard every day, rinse, put back in container, for 3-4 days. the hardest part is remembering daily to take it out, rinse and drain.

we use them in stir fries and in spring rolls. yum.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

What's funny about why our system is working, is because my boys want to swing the sprouts in the sock .

Thanks for sharing your process, stef. I can see how your's would work well to achieve the right amount of moisture and ventilation.

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version