Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: As a mom of 8 I should know this..BUT Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

I was wondering about the introduction of solids with my 6 month old baby girl, Gabrielle. Usually all of my children like to eat a little around 4 1/2 months and do the usual sticking out of their tongue back and forth, so not much actually gets in them till around 5 months. But, by 6 months of age, they are all eating cereal and at least stage 1 baby foods well. Gabbi still pushes the food out with her tongue all the time, so little is actually making it in. I keep trying to get her to eat a little bit, but she can't seem to get the hang of eating. She nurses just fine, so she is getting plenty of nutrition, and her weight is in the higher percentiles, so none of that is an issue. I figured since she is 6 months old, she should have some cereal and stage one foods etc. She can gnaw on a biter bisquit well.

I am just wondering if it is normal for her to have trouble with her tongue like this? She doesn't appear to have any physical trouble as far as the way it looks, and she doesn't have any neurological problems or muscle problems. Seems like a normal kid. I only worried a little since none of my other children have trouble with solids by this age, and then when I mentioned it to the doc at her check up last month, she said, "Hmmm, we'll have to keep an eye on that." and then moved on after looking slightly concerned. Is there anything to worry about or is she just not ready for solids yet? Should I just keep trying with her or wait for awhile? Like I said, I SHOULD know this by now! But, she just seems a little different in the solid food dept. than the other 7. She seems enthused about the food in general, but gets frustrated since she doesn't get much of anything. Thoughts???       

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I wouldn't be worried. But I'm just saying that because I don't have the patience to give my children cereal at that age!! So none of them have... to me it seems like more spits out than comes in (because of the tongue thing that you mentioned)!! I'm all about conservation of effort... so all my kids have waited until 7 or 8 months and then we eat bananas!

So I'm not very conventional. But I still wouldn't worry.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I agree with Maryan. I don't give my kids cereal. They just move on to pureed table foods around the same time as Maryan's. I wouldn't worry either.

It was great to see you today, even if it was for a few minutes at the parking lot.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

I'm with Maryan... ours have started having tastes when they're interested from about 6 months, but they don't start really getting into it until about 9 months. By 12 months though, they've pretty much been eating exactly what we eat (well, cut a little smaller if necessary:-) )

So I wouldn't worry at all. Sounds like (with the tongue poking out) that she's doing exactly what my Bilby did at the same age.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Nope.. actually the spitting out is a sure sign that she's not ready for solids and you should stop and try again later.. I basically don't give my babies anything until they're "jumping out of my arms and lunging for my plate and often getting something into their mouth before I can catch 'em". But there's a widely different time for that.. I've had some as little as 5 months old.. and others 10 months old.. and I know some that were a year old first.

Dr. Sears information is usually pretty practical on this.. it's one of the reasons I keep hold of "The Baby Book" plus it has a lovely chart of the order in which to give foods. What i do is follow the order whenever they start eating.. but don't switch to the next level until they're at least at the age for it (since some of it is maturity levels for things like allergies)

I think he has the info on his website http://www.askdrsears.com

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Eight Wonders wrote:
Is there anything to worry about or is she just not ready for solids yet? Should I just keep trying with her or wait for awhile?

My daughter went straight from the breast to table food. She absolutely refused jarred food or baby cereal. It drove her grandmas absolutely crazy, but her doctor didn't care at all. I would wait.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Both my kids went straight to table food. My son really didn't eat any solids until 14 months--though he had other issues in the way--and now eats anything we offer him. My daughter started earlier but after six months--maybe nine months or so. They were both nursing plenty so I let them go at their own pace.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

All of my kids went from breast to table foods and progressively latter with each child. Philip, my 3 year old, was 18 months old before any significant portion of his calories came from anything but me.

So I would worry about it at all. I have been told by drs, and seen literature that supports it, that any eating before 15 months or so is just for practice.

LeeAnn

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Just to add -- my crowd were all in the "no real food until they could pick it up with their own hands and put it in their mouths" stage.   Only my 7th child actually fell in love with the rice cereal and pureed bananas -- the rest simply skipped that stage altogether.   It didn't seem to hurt.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Same here about no cereal and starting with pureed fruit.We usually start the baby at 6 months.The drs. usually say to wait until the baby seems interested in the solids.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

MB is six months old. It has never occured to me to feed him anything yet. He sits at the table with us and just watches us with awe! Sometimes the kids give him a spoon to play with and he just bangs the table with it! We've never done the rice cereal/baby food thing, it's always happened so gradually and naturally, I couldn't really tell you when they've started eating...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet