Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: modeling handwriting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

I'm wondering how important it is that my own handwriting looks like the handwriting scheme I use for my 5 yo? I bought the Getty-Dubay books but I have trouble with it because it is so unlike my own writing. I can't remember how to form the letters when dd asks me to write something for her to copy (she likes this). I also have the Memoria Press Copybook I, which I like a lot, and it's letter formation is basically the way that I form my own letters.    

Is my own letter formation and important consideration when choosing a handwriting scheme?

Thank you.

Cheerios & Fingerpaints
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Not for us- the kids use the Getty-Dubay, and I don't Rather than expect the kids to copy my writing, I'll print something out for them, and they use their GD chart to figure out how to shape the letters if they forget.

My 18 and 12yo daughters have absolutely beautiful penmanship (we've actually had someone not believe that the 12yo wrote something because it was "too perfect"), and the 10 and 7yo are doing wonderfully with it as well. It obviously hasn't hurt that my writing is different from theirs.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I'm doing my best to mimic the G-D style for them, but I'm lazy about looking up the correct joins and things. As long as I make mine fairly close, they can adjust. They don't do as well when I hand them a printed page, but they have only just learned cursive. I'm thinking this will be a temporary stage.

The cursive style I learned was loopy, but over time I have adjusted it to me more like G-D on my own, so it hasn't been a stretch for me to do it their way. It'll probably be more confusing when I teach Maria because she's going to learn "loopy girl writing" instead.    Then I'll have to adjust back and forth.

Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

Lori and Rachel, thank you for your responses. I wonder if what I should do when my daughter asks me how to write something, is to look at the chart myself and try to model the letters for her that way. It seems like I should get better at it over time and eventually not need the chart. I don't mean that this is how we'd do copywork, but just for those on-the-spot moments when dd wants to write something specific and asks me how.

Thanks again.

Cheerios & Fingerpaints
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Jordan wrote:
I don't mean that this is how we'd do copywork, but just for those on-the-spot moments when dd wants to write something specific and asks me how.

I wish mine cared! But yes, if they were asking me how to write it--wanting assistance with the letter forms vs spelling, then I would look it up and model it for them or I would tell them to look it up. My boys could look it up themselves but are lazy in the penmanship area so I would probably lean towards the latter.     

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Jordan wrote:
I wonder if what I should do when my daughter asks me how to write something, is to look at the chart myself and try to model the letters for her that way. It seems like I should get better at it over time and eventually not need the chart.

That is exactly what happened here. Another thing to try, is to just have her trace the letter with her finger a few times until she gets a "feel" for it.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version