Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Skipping the sippy cup? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am thinking of trying to skip the sippy cup for my little guy and move straight to an open cup/glass (as recommended by Montessori philosophy and my dentist!) - has anyone done this - and if so what kind of little glass or cup do you use? Right now my little guy drinks water out of a little shot glass - but I hold it. He is a thrower - so if I put it on his meal tray it would be on the floor.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I skip the leak-proof sippy cups that require the child to suck at the tip in order to get anything out. Instead, I use cups that have a lid, but a clear opening (like the Tuppeware cup sippy lids)

I *think* the sucking action is what dentists disapprove of (but I could be wrong here)

An open cup would require much too much work for me at this point, but that's me I do let her drink from a completely open cup if we're in a situation where she's on my lap, and I can focus totally on her, but for the majority of the time I have her use a lidded cup.

I'm not sure if I helped at all?

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I do use the sippy cups.. not always.. but definately in the car but I just teach them to drink from our regular cups.. they're plastic.. the size doesn't seem to make much difference.. My MIL has a picture of my oldest at about 6 months holding a glass pint glass with water in it and drinking from it.

It's all in learning how much to tip and when to stop tipping

Just put only small amounts of water in to start with that makes it much easier.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Marilyn,
We use these glasses for every meal. I give my 3yo the 6oz juice glass, it's the perfect size for little hands. I like that they aren't perfectly round, and they are sort of dimpled all over - makes for easier gripping. I admit that I still let my 3yo have a sippy cup every now and then, but I have been wanting to get rid of them (mostly because of the plastic issue) for some time now.

Another option is enamelware - not plastic - not glass. Nova Natural has some lovely enamelware dishes for small hands. I have 4 sets sitting in my "basket" right now waiting for the tax refunds to be direct deposited.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Funny--I just announced to dh that I was never buying another sippy cup! My son is three and uses it only for a drink at bedtime, but I think he'd be fine with an open cup of water. He doesn't like to actually take the drink to bed. I'm not sure why, but I decided to start my daughter (17months) on cups pretty early. She's been using an open cup for a pretty long time. She does tend to play with the water if I give her too much and she isn't supervised but she can drink just fine. We use mugs for the kids at mealtimes.

I do still like sippy cups for the car but I hate the plastic. As soon as our finances improve I'm hoping to make a family investment in SIGG bottles for outings.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

We have never used sippy cups. I use a shot glass and have only had a couple broken through four children. In the car, Baby learns early on how to drink from a water bottle with a sport lid.

Hope that helps!

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

We have just used shot glasses (you can get plastic ones, which are pretty handy as the others often have heavy bases), and my daughter (now 16 months) has been using an ordinary cup (plastic also) for a couple of months. Initially we tend not to leave the cup within reach at mealtimes, it's easy enough to pass it when they want it.

I also have the pop-top water bottles for the car and 'outside' activities, and although she needs someone else to open it (her brother is generally obliging:-) ) she hasn't ever had a problem with that (she got it for Christmas, so 14 months).

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I've been thinking about this for awhile now, especially since we've had so much illness in our house lately. For my first two kids we had some lovely enamelwear mugs and they did fine with those. Somewhere along the way they were lost and as the littles began to pile up, we switched to the plastic spill proof sippy cups. But I'm begining to think that they are part of the problem here, as the plastic gets real nasty, the stoppers, spouts, etc...

My bigger kids are currently using plastic restaurant style cups at meals, I simply cannot handle all the broken glass when they use glasses. (we have hardwood floors and 6 boys, glasses break - often.)

When you skip the sippy altogether with a little one, when do you give them a cup?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

We started both of ours with a shot glass once they'd been introduced to a couple of foods... I think it was probably once they were comfortable with sitting in the high chair on their own.

We soon learnt to have a jug of water on the table—it was a pain to have to keep getting up to refill the cup (and we only ever about half filled it to start with in any case)!

We would give them the shot glass with a little water in it, and guide them to drinking from it. And then let them experiment... it really is a tiny amount of water, and I generally started at dinner time when they were going to be changed for bed in any case:-) Once they've begun to get the idea, their cup would be put on the table and passed to them when they wanted it (so they didn't have it _with_ food) and then put on the table when they were done with it. They would soon put it down on the tray. Once that was reasonably established, I'd leave it on the tray with the meal.

I should point out that we have wood floors, so I'm really not fussed about spills (other than to mop them up promptly)...

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

When a little is ready to try foods, they're ready to try drinking from a cup.. matter of fact mine are usually "attacking" me to get to *my* cup

We only give water in the no spill cups so that helps with the cleanliness issue..

Just remember that like food when they start.. it's experimenting/learning not trying to get lots of water (or whatever) inside them.

We tend to give water almost exclusively to a nursling.. rather give fruits than juices and of course they don't need milk at all while still nursing.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I've always given small amounts of liquid in a smallish Tupperware cup. My dc always sort of sputtered and gagged when given a drink in a sippy cup. My theory is that with the sippy cup, the child doesn't realize that the water is coming at him. With a regular cup, you feel the drink on your lips and kind of know when to expect the larger amount in your mouth, so it's easier to learn what to do.

Giving an open cup doesn't allow for a child to carry the drink around with them, as I've seen many children do with sippy cups, but I don't think that's a big deal. If they need to ask for a drink when they are thirsty, at least you don't find stray sippy cups in odd places around the house.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We used the exact same approach as Fe--we also have the hardwood floors. I don't think I would be so gung-ho with carpeting but I don't think we'll ever have carpeting. If you are breastfeeding, too, I don't think there is too much danger of dehydration, so I haven't seen the need for little, little kids to have full-time access to 8 oz. of water. We also keep a small pitcher of water on the table to cut down on trips--that helps the little learn to pour themselves, too.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Has anyone tried to use this cup? Stackable cup
I wonder if the brim is too wide for little mouths to use, instead of sippy cups? I find the hardest problem is the small plastic cups are just so small that they tip over so easily.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks for all the ideas. With my 3 older kids they did use sippy cups - the non-spill ones at first and then the tupperware type. With my now 4 year old we never used the non-spill sippy cups but I did use the tupperware type from 6 months when he went on solids, though he went to an open glass by 2. With the baby who is now starting solids at 7 months - he drinks water from a shot glass that I hold. He also likes my pop up water bottle. If he gets hold of the glass he does throw it. I would like to try to do without the sippy cup altogether - all my kids only eat or drink at the table now - though on long summer journeys they take water bottles in the car.

I love the enamelware suggested by Jennifer. I saw similar in the Michael Olaf catalog and really liked the look of them.

Once the kids are 2 we have them drink in these Anchor Hocking Tartan tumblers - they are very sturdy and can take falling on the floor - though they do not survive granite.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

With my second I skipped sippies (except in the car) and we really like these juice glasses from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. In the picture they are the ones lying down - 7 oz juice glasses. We haven't had one break yet, and you can't beat the price!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Marilyn

With seven children I have never used sippy cups, when they start wanting a drink of water I just hold water in a cup for them and help them control the leverage. You know this is strange thinking about how you actually do something Anyhow I use what ever cup I grab at the time. Sometimes glass later plastic. When they are a little older and like to 'do it myself' I only use plastic. Sometimes they have an annoying habit of pitching the cup on the floor when finished. My current 19 month old dumps his cup in the sink and it can make quite a clunk as he can't see what he is doing, he can only reach high enough to throw up and in. I really need to buy more plastic cups as I seem to be down to 2 The glass are tougher than you may think.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Granted, I only had one kid (thus more time to clean up glass I guess), but I just let the shot glasses break. They are pretty strong and come in packs of six or so. There's not much glass to it either, so less to clean up.
Six glasses lasted us for a good year.
But we do have linoleum, not wood in the Kitchen

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I started my son with a shot glass, which lasted about 3 days - he drank from it great, bu then discovered the joys of sticking his fingers in, picking it up with the fingers inside and flipping it over. So we moved to glass tumblers (the short glasses). This was successful from then to now - I didn't realize why until we visited grandma's house and she gave him a plastic cup. It was so light weight, his movements of eating his other food kept knocking the plastic cup over, where the glass tumbler was just heavy enough to stay upright better. He has never broken a glass, and he's almost 4 - in the meantime, I can't count the number of dishes I myself have broken!

ETA: I only put a little bit of liquid in at a time. We started all of this at 6 months. At a year old, I gave him a small pitcher with the same small amount of liquid in it - he would pour it into his glass, then drink it - and I would just refill his pitcher. By 18 months, I could fill the pitcher with however much he would usually drink at a sitting and he'd pour as much as he wanted. By 2 years old, he had a set of pitchers in the fridge (milk, water, juice) with the amounts of each he could have for the day and he would just serve himself for mealtimes or in between as needed.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version