Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Info & advice on Conf. home vs Parish Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wwandsprmn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote wwandsprmn

I am (apparently)encountering some gentle opposition in my parish.

My youth minister called today (my kids are active & we are new friends) and she was asking questions about the kids sacraments/dates, etc. I was chatting and it took me a minute to realize I was being questioned/grilled. I caught myself and asked why all the questions?

She said the Sr. in charge of Faith Formation asked for the information. My kids are NOT in CCD in the parish we teach the faith at home, and have never had a problem in other states or parishes, teaching at home and joining for the occasional activity then receiving with the group.

She said Sr.'s head almost exploded when she learned they were not in her classes and she wanted the info.

I was quite taken aback and felt a little intruded upon. I don't understand why she didn't call? I don't understand why it's her business? Sorry if that sounds wrong.

The youth minister started asking about how I intended to prepare them for Confirmation and said that Sr. said they couldn't be Confirmed without going through her class.

It's our understanding that the child have adequate formation (not specifically outlined in the Canon), desire, understanding and ability to renew his Baptismal vows. It's my understanding that the ministers of the sacrament, while assuring it not be received unworthily or illegally, should err on the side of the desire of the faithful to receive, if the person is reasonably prepared.

I have some resources but feel like I now need to "arm" myself for a discussion. So I would appreciate ANY info on Confirmation prep at home, how you've done it, how much of the parish programs you've participated in, and any resources that address this matter.

Lastly I welcome your input on whether or not I should call Sr. and express my concerns about what I consider to be a bit of an intrusion.

I am also a little concerned because this info was gathered in a secret pal "survey" at a youth group activity. I am confused why they were asked this info when it is on record with the church already? Then why this info/concern was passed on to Sr.?

Blessings~
Robin

Back to Top View wwandsprmn's Profile Search for other posts by wwandsprmn

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Hmmmmm.... I think you should probably call the Sr. and let her know that you are aware of her concerns. I would reiterate that you understand your responsibility in raising up your children as dictated by the Church, and that you simply believe God has called you to do this at home. Perhaps a gentle reminder of the duties of parents as outlined in the CCC is in order??

Here's what I'm looking at:

2221 The role of parents in education is of such importance that it is almost impossible to provide an adequate substitute. The right and the duty of parents to educate their children are primordial and inalienable.

2224 The home is the natural environment for initiating a human being into solidarity and communal responsibilities.

2226 Education in the faith by the parents should begin in the child's earliest years. This already happens when family members help one another to grow in faith by the witness of a Christian life in keeping with the Gospel. Family catechisms precedes, accompanies, and enriches other forms of instruction in the faith. Parents have the mission of teaching their children to pray and to discover their vocation as children of God.

2229 As those first responsible for the education of their children, parents have the right to choose a school for them which corresponds to their own convictions. This right is fundamental.

Praying for you!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I agree with everything that Sarah said. However, at our church we have to go through the CCD classes during the Sacramental years. I know this comes from our Priest, but I also think it is a directive of the Diocese.

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Robin,
We are going through some very similar things here in our parish. My kids are ready for Confirmation. And as Paula says, our church "requires" (which they can't really require) us to go to the CCD classes for sacramental prep and it probably goes clear up to the bishop in our diocese. Truth be told I wouldn't mind complying if the materials, teachers, etc. were solid. They are not. And I will NOT expose my children to the class, students and teachers. So, they don't go.

I am working with my spiritual director, a solid priest in our diocese. I would strongly encourage this for anyone going through this struggle. How is the priest in your parish? Do you have a solid priest close by who can counsel you and/or give the sacraments if need be?

The whole situation you described seems stinky! For me it would be tempting to engage the Sr. in charge. I doubt it would be helpful.

I also recommend this booklet from Seton.

I'll pray for you and your family. It always gets my goat that they want to come after those of us properly preparing our children. All any priest has to do is talk to them, and they'd know!
God bless and sorry this got long!
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version