Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: How do you know when you are pregnant? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

That sounds like a dumb question so let me explain . . .

I've just started having signs of returning fertility at 15 months postpartum. We are not trying to postpone our next pregnancy but I did just start charting again (we do the CCL sympto-thermal method) only because I want to know when I'm pregnant again. I have no problem with NFP and charting, obviously, but I feel like the symbolism of charting is not something I want in my life right now. I don't know if that makes sense, but, anyway . . .

If I have a "period" before I ovulate then I'll probably be able to figure out if I'm pregnant or not, but I might not have a period. Also between my son and daughter I had one period and then didn't ovulate for about forty days after that--which is when I got pregnant.

For those of you who don't chart--how do you know when you are pregnant? How do you date your pregnancy with no ovulation record? Maybe I will just need to chart but if I don't have to I'd rather not.

Thanks,

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I get my period back VERY early so I have that when I'm not charting.

But one thing that helped me when I did want to have the charts but not really wanting to "know" what was going on. I would just jot down my temps and such in a notebook.. and then at the end of the cycle or if it seemed like it should have ended and didn't I'd input the info into a chart and be able to see what's going on. Without a cycle you could just input into a chart at the first of every month or some such arbitrary date.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 4:45am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have kinda done what Jodie does. I jot some generally 'fertiltiy' notes down on my day planner. I don't temp, just take noticed of where I may be in my cycle. If I seems that maybe I have ovulated, then I test. I usually buy a box of 2 tests so if one is - but a new cycle doesn't start I can take the other 2 weeks later.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I gave up temping, but now just watch the external fertility signs (mucous changes) . I know how long each cycle is, and I know when I ovulate, so I can tell when to expect my period and when I might be late

I'd watch those external signs

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

My period has come back very early this time. But I do not think I am ovulating? A period does not necessarily mean ovulation does it? The thing is that there is no real regularity - so I have no idea of timing in the cycle.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Even if you don't want to postpone pregnancy, I think it's a REALLY good idea to keep track of fertility signs for the purposes of dating a pregnancy.

I wasn't keeping careful track at all when I got pregnant with our 4th baby, so the doctor just figured my due date using my last menstrual period. I have a history of long, irregular cycles when breastfeeding, so the due date was off--way off. When I got to the end of my pregnancy, the doctor started getting anxious and was pressuring me to induce. Thankfully, dh and I were able to figure out from the little bit I DID chart that the original due date was AT LEAST 10 days too early. Clara was born almost 2 weeks after my original due date with NO signs of postmaturity at a whopping 7lbs., 10oz.

I really don't like charting, either, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I really need to keep track of either mucus or temps so that I can come up with an accurate due date.

It seems that doctors are getting more and more anxious about "overdue" pregnancies these days. It really helps to have a due date based on when YOU conceived, and not when the AVERAGE woman conceives.

Marilyn--no, a period does not necessarily mean ovulation. Taking your temp is really the only way to know for sure (outside of bloodwork and ultrasounds) whether you ovulated or not.

In the old CCL book, they say that any bleeding within the first 56 days postpartum is related to childbirth and can be ignored as a sign of returning fertility if the mother is breastfeeding exclusively. Not sure how old your new baby is, but maybe that's what is going on?

Dawn

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I don't chart any more, and since I was 41 (that seems to have been the magic-change age for me), my cycles have been so crazily irregular, after having been very regular all my life, that it's just hard to tell anything. I do follow external signs, but it's hard to know when or if I've ovulated. I think I really need to start temping again, but for right now I'm observing, making notes, and guesstimating and just hoping we hit the target. I don't care so much about knowing a due date (ultrasounds more or less confirm that in any case) as I care about the possibility of getting pregnant to begin with!

With my pregnancies, all but one of which were in my 30s, I was never temping or charting or even especially paying attention, yet I always knew very early because (and I hope this isn't TMI)

*my period was more than a day or two late
*I was insanely tired
*my breasts were sore and full, the areoles were much darker, and veins were more pronounced - even after I'd been nursing and had more prominent veins anyway

*I just looked different. I can't explain how, but I could look at myself in the mirror and at least suspect. It was that 'glow' factor, I guess. Funnily enough, I was with a friend yesterday, and when she answered the door, I thought, hm. When she went on to share her good news, my first thought was, "But of course you are!"

With my 4th, my 3rd was 7 months old and still nursing, though tapering off (he was an early self-weaner, *sigh*) and I never had a period. I can't remember how I suspected that I might be pregnant, but I somehow intuited it and did a test fairly early. I went through the pregnancy not really knowing how to date it, but ultrasounds were all fairly consistent with the "working" due date we went with from the beginning. I had, I think, 3 working "due dates" by the end of the pregnancy, and she was born on one of them.

Anyway, I've always gone by external changes and missed periods, and I've known more or less right away.

Sally

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

it usually takes some months for a fertility cycle to "settle" roughly back to what might have been the usual for a mom prepregnancy.
I know a friend who did not chart, but kind of jotted down fertility signs. she thought she was experiencing menstrual cramps coming on (it was day 29) but actually it was ovulation pain and she concieved on that day!
this was about 2 months into a notice of return of fertility signs...
I end up with lots of high tech sonos so charting to pinpoint exact time of conception was never an issue for me with a Dr. I've got about 15 charts total since 1992, and we have HAD to chart if we wanted to conceive, and I teach Sympto-thermal, and I know just what you mean about not charting if you don't "have to"
another thing- if you feel "hot" you might be pregnant! hot flash type feelings are elevated progesterone levels kicking in (something I don't experience ) but I have heard that is very reliable for most if they don;t want to take their temp. also, breast tenderness very early on...
Praying for you!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll go with casual observations of fertility signs and only go back to charting if I start spending too much on pregnancy tests

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Easy! I just start puking!

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

humanaevitae wrote:
Easy! I just start puking!

that's what I was gonna say!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote doris

SusanJ wrote:
Thanks, everyone! I think I'll go with casual observations of fertility signs and only go back to charting if I start spending too much on pregnancy tests

Susan

Available very cheaply, in bulk, on ebay!

I didn't menstruate between ds and dd. (Actually a bit embarrassing when one is supposed to be quoting LMP date to drs etc.) I did guess that I was pregnant, though, because of mucus changes. Also my amazingly acute sense of smell!

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Available very cheaply, in bulk, on ebay!

I didn't menstruate between ds and dd. (Actually a bit embarrassing when one is supposed to be quoting LMP date to drs etc.) I did guess that I was pregnant, though, because of mucus changes. Also my amazingly acute sense of smell![/QUOTE]

Bulk pregnancy tests? Who knew? I'll keep that in mind! Dh said I needed to just chart when he saw how much two pregnancy tests cost at the grocery store!

I know what you mean about the LMP thing. I try to give birth at home but we do one ultrasound because our first had a birth defect. With my second pregnancy I made up a n LMP based on when I ovulated because I didn't want to answer question that would follow when I answered "December 2003." (I know I should be a better witness for NFP but those OB nurses can really be scary.)

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Sorry about the above--didn't check it before signing off. That was me quoting Elizabeth and then responding . . .

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

This site has bulk pregnancy tests for a great price. I haven't bought from them before, but I know someone who has. There's free shipping, too!

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

doris wrote:
my amazingly acute sense of smell!

Same here. The change in my sense of smell and taste is a sign.

Tired...oh so tired....unable to keep my eyes open in the afternoon is a huge hint for me. Not just a little tired, but a passing out kind of tired that I couldn't stay awake no matter what.

Also, the toothbrush gag....I cannot brush my teeth without gagging for some reason. Does anyone else get that?

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Michaela wrote:

Also, the toothbrush gag....I cannot brush my teeth without gagging for some reason. Does anyone else get that?

Yep. me too about the toothbrush thing!

My main way of knowing is that I start crying about everything, esp as regards to sad things regarding young people or children, but also ANYTHING remotely sappy or sentimental. With my first, it was that song "Wonderful" by Everclear -- I'd always thought was sad before but it dissolved me into a sobbing heap.
And it being my first, I was like "why am I like this?"

But then, before I could take the test to see if I was pregnant with my 2nd one everything beautiful or sad or sappy starting making me cry, and I remembered that that is my "sign."
so, I bet my dh that I was and he bet I wasn't and I was right!

Ever heard that song "It Did" by Brad Paisley? That was my 2nd pregnancy sob song.

Maria in WI
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Maria in WI

Michaela wrote:

Yes! My husband thinks it is so funny! I have to be really careful not to put the toothbrush near the back of my mouth. I have actually puked from brushing my teeth.
Back to Top View Maria in WI's Profile Search for other posts by Maria in WI

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Michaela wrote:
. Does anyone else get that?

Oh, yes. My pregnancies ruined my teeth, I kid you not one bit .
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

I have ordered the bulk pregnancy test strips from the link above and have been pleased with both service and speed.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version