Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: ideas for post-christmas seasons table? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote monica

i have been doing a sort of seasons table, really a long bench for us. in fall i had many colored leaves, pumpkins, gourds, etc. christmas had the nativity scene, evergreen branches. i have cleaned that away and now and wondering what i could do for the rest of the winter with it. we will make paper snow flakes, continue to collect greenery we find, etc, but i wondered if anyone out there has other more inspired ideas for this?
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Hi Monica,

I was wondering the same thing myself. My husband bought me this a few years back, because I suffer severe Nativity set withdrawal symptoms after I pack them all away. My children love it as much as I do! It has really helped them to see what happened to the Holy Family after Bethlehem. I just took it out today and I was thinking I might surround this with bare branches and evergreens.
Can't wait to see what the others come up with!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

My first thought was something "Flight into Egypt" as well. I love the figures you got Mary - they are perfect.

You could put a layer of fake snow or those snow cloths down under everything.

pinecones
bare branches and evergreens (like Mary mentioned)
branches with shriveled berries
craft bird house (with fake birds?)

I'm doing the first Craft of the Week for 2008 on Monday. It is going to be pipe cleaner/bead snowflakes. Those or the paper snowflakes could be hung from the ceiling above the bench or along a string behind it.

EDITED:
OH! And Snowmen! Any type of snowmen figures. I love snowmen!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

We are heading into a rocks study.

We have our little indoor area set up with all kinds of different sizes/types of rocks and winter greens and it looks quite striking.

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote monica

i've been inspired!! we are reading Stopping in Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert frost this week, the book illustrated by Susan Jeffers. my inspiration is to make our seasons table a snowy wood. i laid down white quilt batting, and had my son arrange a bunch of pine cones as our trees. we are going to cover them with glue and something to simulate snow. today we tried laundry detergent. it kind of looked like snow, but mostly like laundry detergent. maybe i will try scraps of paper with glitter. we are going to make a little pond with aluminum foil on cardboard, and a sled with a box. i think we will find animals that are hiding in the woods in the book and make them hide in our woods too. any other ideas for fake snow?
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I always heard that in the old days, before chemical products for fake snow, that instant potato flakes were used for movies and plays.

This site has some ideas for "fake snow" used for collectable Christmas village scenes.

You can buy Instant Snow Powder, which is the polymer used in disposable diapers.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version